How to work out your new WHS Handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club have just published a provisional new handicap list (still subject to the application of the hard and soft caps ??) available through the WHS Portal.

So. My current h/cap of 15.8c becomes 14.3 and I will be playing off 17 on one course and 16 on the other. One of our regular group rarely plays in comps but has recently submitted several supplementary cards. His current h/cap is 5.0c which will become (according to the list) +0.1.

Something not quite right there yet??

Too true. At 5 handicap he should not have been submitting supplementary cards. Wonder how he managed to get them on to the system the software is supposed to prevent it.
Unless of course he was 6 and the SSs have taken him down to 5.

If the system rejected the SSs and he only had say 5 in the system he would have got the lowest as his HI

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Too true. At 5 handicap he should not have been submitting supplementary cards. Wonder how he managed to get them on to the system the software is supposed to prevent it.
Unless of course he was 6 and the SSs have taken him down to 5.

If the system rejected the SSs and he only had say 5 in the system he would have got the lowest as his HI
I Think the Cat 1 rule on Supplementaries was suspenced in September until WHS comes into operation.

Confirmed by County.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cards submitted Sept and Oct. Off Whites which we normally play, East Course Par 71 SSS 73, West Par 69 SSS 69. Although he can have a run of 6, 7, 8, or 9 holes in level par, I don't ever recall him being less than 4 or 5 over gross for all 18- certainly not in the last year or so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I Think the Cat 1 rule on Supplementaries was suspenced in September until WHS comes into operation.

Confirmed by County.

I spoke to our County organiser on Wednesday. He said the reason the they did not change the rules for CAT1 to begin with is because the software blocks them from putting in cards and it was too expensive to change before the off.

Cat1s have always been able to put in SSs from September but only the amount needed to ensure they had competition status.

I had not seen any notification of the change.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The course rating has been used not the CSS, I have checked the figures using that and it comes out at 11.5 the figure in the WHS system, so that seems pretty definite that CSS is not used.
CSS is a 'Congu specific' term - and 'adjusts' SSS (another Congu term, but is 'equivalent', and likely very close to Course Rating).

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
CSS is a 'Congu specific' term - and 'adjusts' SSS (another Congu term, but is 'equivalent', and likely very close to Course Rating).

The point that Louise was making is that previously we were told that CSS (I.e. any adjustments to SSS) would be taken into consideration when historical CONGU scores were used to determine a players new WHS Index. Her experience, and that of others (including myself) is that that is not the case.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The point that Louise was making is that previously we were told that CSS (I.e. any adjustments to SSS) would be taken into consideration when historical CONGU scores were used to determine a players new WHS Index. Her experience, and that of others (including myself) is that that is not the case.
I and no doubt many others have raised this with EG.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I spoke to our County organiser on Wednesday. He said the reason the they did not change the rules for CAT1 to begin with is because the software blocks them from putting in cards and it was too expensive to change before the off.

Cat1s have always been able to put in SSs from September but only the amount needed to ensure they had competition status.

I had not seen any notification of the change.
It came directly from our county secretary (same one for both of us).

I asked on 9th September specifically and he confirmed that it had been modified generally and not just to retain "c" status.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I and no doubt many others have raised this with EG.

I'll be happy if they go back and add all the recent new members initial cards for handicaps back in to in their scoring records.....daft that they've tried to encourage folks to put in cards and then ignore 3 of them from folks who most need their scoring record fleshing out!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
(y)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mike,

Do you have any more info on this?
I've mentioned this in one of the other WHS threads but when I asked today about putting in Supplementaries, our County guys knew nothing about it for Cat 1s ...
No, sorry I asked the question of our County Secretary who was sceptical but when he checked he confirmed that C1 players were allowed to put in Supplementaries prior to WHS introduction and not just the maintain a "C" handicap.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Working across the columns.

1.Adjusted Gross Score. (Taking out any shots above a net double bogey)
2. Course Rating ( Depending on tee used )
3. The Differential (Column 1- 2.)
4. Standard Slope Rating 113
5. Slope Rating (Relevant to tee used) 121 or 123 in our case.
6. Net Differential= Column 3 x (113/121) This is the de-sloped differential
7. Sort in ascending order the last 20 entries.
8. Sum the lowest 8 entries in Column 7.
9. Calculate average of Column 8. (usually divide by 8 ) = HANDICAP INDEX.

This is where there is at least 20 scores since 1/1/18.

The WHS output is slightly different layout but contains the same content.

Once up and running there is also a Playing Condition Adjustment.

It is also easy to spot the Lowest Index which is used for Capping purposes.

The source data in my case came from the How Did I Do Handicap Record .

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for this.

Will be interesting to see if there are any differences up here in Scotland when we finally get to see our new WHS indexes vs what EG have done.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I ask a question, is this debacle supposed to make golf more attractive and inclusive ? I will await my new h/c, will it ever be used in anger I suspect that it might not be. This sort of 'progress' is also endemic in my industry, I really feel for those following a career path 40 years behind mine !!

Mozza14

Visit site
Can I ask a question, is this debacle supposed to make golf more attractive and inclusive ? I will await my new h/c, will it ever be used in anger I suspect that it might not be. This sort of 'progress' is also endemic in my industry, I really feel for those following a career path 40 years behind mine !!

I am an ordinary golf member with no affilliation to England Golf or Committees etc. I started with a mindset that this change was not needed and the claimed high level benefits were mainly present in the existing system. After careful study, I have become more more used to the idea and I believe the main benefit is that Handicaps are much more reactive to current performance if the golfer chooses to embrace the system. I can see from tracking my own performance, that after a strong last year and a weak current year that my 'Handicap Index' would have reflected my standard much more quickly than the CONGU system has. More recently as I have found a bit of form that starts to get reflected in how the average scores gives me a fair and realistic chance of competing.

You haven't said specifically what you don't like about the change and there are positives and negatives in anything like this but overall I would try it out first before writing it completely off.

D

Deleted member 25172

I'll shoot one straight back at you. Hand on heart, do you think that a single person who either a. just have started to play the game, or b. thinking about taking up golf, will give the implementation of this new system a mere second of thought? It is funny how a system which is basically used everywhere around the world is causing such an uproar here in the UK (well, on the forum) amongst some. Sure, the way the implementation of it all does seem to be a bit of a shambles, but the animosity shown at some places does make me chuckle.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll shoot one straight back at you. Hand on heart, do you think that a single person who either a. just have started to play the game, or b. thinking about taking up golf, will give the implementation of this new system a mere second of thought? It is funny how a system which is basically used everywhere around the world is causing such an uproar here in the UK (well, on the forum) amongst some. Sure, the way the implementation of it all does seem to be a bit of a shambles, but the animosity shown at some places does make me chuckle.
Some of the animosity is coming from administrators who are having to field questions from members where members can not wait and insist on working out their index when EG are still way behind in sorting it themselves. For a system where we were being briefed on over 2 years ago there is to much last minute dot com coming from EG.

I suggest all those trying to work out their HC just hold fire and wait for the “official “ publication in November. Anyone who has been informed of their index will more than likely not have the correct one based on an email sent out to HC administrators today.

D

Deleted member 25172

Some of the animosity is coming from administrators who are having to field questions from members where members can not wait and insist on working out their index when EG are still way behind in sorting it themselves. For a system where we were being briefed on over 2 years ago there is to much last minute dot com coming from EG.

I suggest all those trying to work out their HC just hold fire and wait for the “official “ publication in November. Anyone who has been informed of their index will more than likely not have the correct one based on an email sent out to HC administrators today.

Oh I feel for the administrators on this. By the looks of it, it's a real doo-doo show which I don't envy not having to deal with one bit. It's the animosity for the actual new way of handling the handicap (nevermind the software system that does the job) that some people seem to take as a attack on them personally.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh I feel for the administrators on this. By the looks of it, it's a real doo-doo show which I don't envy not having to deal with one bit. It's the animosity for the actual new way of handling the handicap (nevermind the software system that does the job) that some people seem to take as a attack on them personally.
Personally think that when it’s operating properly most will think it’s an improvement.

You and I are too young to remember the howls of protest when CONGU bought in CSS, history on repeat, a good editorial for @MikeH

D

Deleted member 25172

Personally think that when it’s operating properly most will think it’s an improvement.

You and I are too young to remember the howls of protest when CONGU bought in CSS, history on repeat, a good editorial for @MikeH

That's what I've been saying all along as well. It's such a first world problem, but I think there'll be quite a few who'll be wondering why they made such a fuzz about it. :)