New vs old fairway woods/drivers

chappers09

Visit site
Hi all,

In the market for a new driver - have tried the new drivers at my local range (ping G430 was lovely).

I see second hand drivers such as the Sim2, Stealth - how do you determine if these would work for you, if you can't try the things!

Do you just get fitted for the correct shaft weight and stiffness and then choose a highly rated older driver?

I previously got my Callaway X2 hot from an ex-demo sale at Silvermere, so I guess you can try older ones in sales, but again it's an unknown as to what clubs have.

Perhaps this is a stupid question - but welcome advice nonetheless!

PS i searched other driver threads and couldn't find a clear answer hence the new thread.

Thanks all!
Sam

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
With 2nd hand stuff , if you buy from thenlikes of Golfclubs4cash, Golfbidder, Replay etc etc...you get a week or 3 to find out.
Don't like it? Send it back, it costs you the postage.
Try new product in shops or at ranges, get a fitting etc then find a 2nd hand one with similar specs.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Hi all,

In the market for a new driver - have tried the new drivers at my local range (ping G430 was lovely).

I see second hand drivers such as the Sim2, Stealth - how do you determine if these would work for you, if you can't try the things!

Do you just get fitted for the correct shaft weight and stiffness and then choose a highly rated older driver?

I previously got my Callaway X2 hot from an ex-demo sale at Silvermere, so I guess you can try older ones in sales, but again it's an unknown as to what clubs have.

Perhaps this is a stupid question - but welcome advice nonetheless!

PS i searched other driver threads and couldn't find a clear answer hence the new thread.

Thanks all!
Sam
Golfbidder have a 7 day trial period. If you are near Silvermere, Golfbidder aren't far away to take it back to avoid postage delays.

When I bought a club from Golfbidder, I went to look at it first.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I just ask chaps that I am playing social golf with if I can have a go with their driver.
Tried a Qi10 already this year. It was 12° regular.
Last year there was a Stealth 7.5° stiff and a Paradym 9° stiff.
Tried all the Sim, Epic, Mavrik etc in previous years.
If my current driver starts to suffer from metal fatigue, I'll be on the lookout for an Epic for under £50. Regular 10.5° or thereabouts will do me. Epic Flash from 2019 would be lovely.
Maybe something different shaft or loft would "fit" me better, but I'm not that bothered really whether my handicap goes down to 2.3 or up to 6.3.
And I'm not that bothered about the "fitting police" being very condescending to me either.

Quite liked the Qi10 and the Stealth. Hit them both about the same distance as my Cobra F Speed 10.5° regular.
Was not keen on the Paradym, which was the opposite of what I was expecting, since I like the Rogue, Epic and Mavrik.

Taylormade R360 was my favourite driver. Possibly it was merely because those were the years where I played my best golf. Had to give it up when it was declared illegal.
The only Taylormade club I have ever owned. Never owned a Callaway club yet.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it has always been a simple case of not paying to much in the first instance knowing I could get my money back, if needed, by reselling. Not easy if you are buying retail in the first instance

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last 2 brand new drivers I have bought, have been blind purchases with my chossing of spec from PXG and both bought when very much on offer.
If you consider £129 and £199 for a new PXG a relative bargain, whats not to lose. The only problem is, although I could sell either now for the money I paid ( and I've had offers) I like both of them..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't personally think there have been many massive gains unless you have something that's totally unsuited. I tried a few drivers again just before Christmas and still nothing came close to my current driver.