How to work out your new WHS Handicap

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
seen a few threads on this and now Scottish golf have all the rec of my last 20 scores avail, how do you actually work out your new handicap?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You stick your finger in the air and hope for the best judging from what is being said

You first have to de slope your existing scores to get to nett differentials (Take each individual score look at what course and tee you played from divide 113 by the slope rating for that course)

Are you still reading?

Work out the best 8 from the 20 add them together and divide by 8

We are nearly there

That is your handicap index

Alternatively wait for it to be published

Look at the course slope tables for the course and tee you will be playing from to convert your Handicap Index to your Course Handicap

one more step

Find out the Playing Allowance for the format you are playing (eg 95% for singles) and multiply your Course handicap to get to your Playing Handicap.

Simples.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You stick your finger in the air and hope for the best judging from what is being said

You first have to de slope your existing scores to get to nett differentials (Take each individual score look at what course and tee you played from divide 113 by the slope rating for that course)

Are you still reading?

Work out the best 8 from the 20 add them together and divide by 8

We are nearly there

That is your handicap index

Alternatively wait for it to be published

Look at the course slope tables for the course and tee you will be playing from to convert your Handicap Index to your Course Handicap

one more step

Find out the Playing Allowance for the format you are playing (eg 95% for singles) and multiply your Course handicap to get to your Playing Handicap.

Simples.

Gross differentials, surely.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
and that is why the easy alternative is to wait until it is published. Just 18 days to go at most.

I only have home course rounds off the white tees in my last 20, so I simply put together a spreadsheet listing them in date order, then sorted by gross differential, averaged the lowest 8 and that is the course handicap. Multiplied that number by 113/slope (142) and that is the handicap index.

I now keep that spreadsheet and each tome I play a new qualifying round, I will delete the oldest round of the 20, add the new one and recalculate. .

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only have home course rounds off the white tees in my last 20, so I simply put together a spreadsheet listing them in date order, then sorted by gross differential, averaged the lowest 8 and that is the course handicap. Multiplied that number by 113/slope (142) and that is the handicap index.

I now keep that spreadsheet and each tome I play a new qualifying round, I will delete the oldest round of the 20, add the new one and recalculate. .

I have been doing similar, however my index is 1.5 higher than I worked it out as

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

You remembered to de-slope but forgot to slope to start with. ie no reference to Course Handicap.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you the raw calculations they used? See which variable differs from yours.

The course rating has been used not the CSS, I have checked the figures using that and it comes out at 11.5 the figure in the WHS system, so that seems pretty definite that CSS is not used.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So have I but the more I read the less I appear to know.

Some things that I knew got changed and the more that have changed the more confused I have become.

So now it is keep it simple

Wait till it is published then

H.C.P.

Handicap Index
Course Handicap
Playing Handicap

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

In same situation. All 20 rounds at my own track and only once has CSS been different to SSS for our course - so easy. Average of 8 differentials gives me about 9 - with our CS of 125 I factor by 113/125 will give me HI of about 8 - then for my own track of course I simply factor by 125/113 to give me a Course Handicap of about 9 again (surprise, surprise). And currently I round up my handicap of 8.6 to 9....so no change for me at my home track.

Last edited:

Mozza14

Visit site
so no one know then?

Tentatively puts his hand up. :geek: I had developed my own spreadsheets for a few fellow members and myself. I have now had access to my own new Handicap Record and a few others and all matches up.

Admittedly, I had to take out a column for any CSS-SSS adjustment which I thought would be included and so far hasn't been. That was a simple job and there it is. Doing it in advance has meant I have become familiar with the mechanics and arithmetic and excel allows you to create a sorted column of best 8 scores (or less if needed). The proper output from the new system looks very similar without the sorting feature.

On the WGH system, what I don't like is that the Handicap Index displayed lags the actual score by a complete line which is quite confusing.

It's new and a bit complicated at first but I think most will be up to speed quite quickly.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tentatively puts his hand up. :geek: I had developed my own spreadsheets for a few fellow members and myself. I have now had access to my own new Handicap Record and a few others and all matches up.

Admittedly, I had to take out a column for any CSS-SSS adjustment which I thought would be included and so far hasn't been. That was a simple job and there it is. Doing it in advance has meant I have become familiar with the mechanics and arithmetic and excel allows you to create a sorted column of best 8 scores (or less if needed). The proper output from the new system looks very similar without the sorting feature.

On the WGH system, what I don't like is that the Handicap Index displayed lags the actual score by a complete line which is quite confusing.

It's new and a bit complicated at first but I think most will be up to speed quite quickly.
yes great but how and what did use to cal it?

Mozza14

Visit site
yes great but how and what did use to cal it?

Working across the columns.

1.Adjusted Gross Score. (Taking out any shots above a net double bogey)
2. Course Rating ( Depending on tee used )
3. The Differential (Column 1- 2.)
4. Standard Slope Rating 113
5. Slope Rating (Relevant to tee used) 121 or 123 in our case.
6. Net Differential= Column 3 x (113/121) This is the de-sloped differential
7. Sort in ascending order the last 20 entries.
8. Sum the lowest 8 entries in Column 7.
9. Calculate average of Column 8. (usually divide by 8 ) = HANDICAP INDEX.

This is where there is at least 20 scores since 1/1/18.

The WHS output is slightly different layout but contains the same content.

Once up and running there is also a Playing Condition Adjustment.

It is also easy to spot the Lowest Index which is used for Capping purposes.

The source data in my case came from the How Did I Do Handicap Record .

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Working across the columns.

1.Adjusted Gross Score. (Taking out any shots above a net double bogey)
2. Course Rating ( Depending on tee used )
3. The Differential (Column 1- 2.)
4. Standard Slope Rating 113
5. Slope Rating (Relevant to tee used) 121 or 123 in our case.
6. Net Differential= Column 3 x (113/121) This is the de-sloped differential
7. Sort in ascending order the last 20 entries.
8. Sum the lowest 8 entries in Column 7.
9. Calculate average of Column 8. (usually divide by 8 ) = HANDICAP INDEX.

This is where there is at least 20 scores since 1/1/18.

The WHS output is slightly different layout but contains the same content.

Once up and running there is also a Playing Condition Adjustment.

It is also easy to spot the Lowest Index which is used for Capping purposes.

The source data in my case came from the How Did I Do Handicap Record .

Hope this helps.
thanks,will give it a try

and there was me thinking is was going to be more complicated than the old system:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mozza14

Visit site
thanks,will give it a try

and there was me thinking is was going to be more complicated than the old system:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Or as others have said wait a few days and use the WHS Output and just play golf.

I think I will keep my own record for a while to compare and I use it to model and predict possible handicap changes. You can often play a decent game but the HI goes up!!! That is because one of your best scores can drop out of the last 20 scores. A contrast with the current system.:eek:

Last edited:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club have just published a provisional new handicap list (still subject to the application of the hard and soft caps ??) available through the WHS Portal.

So. My current h/cap of 15.8c becomes 14.3 and I will be playing off 17 on one course and 16 on the other. One of our regular group rarely plays in comps but has recently submitted several supplementary cards. His current h/cap is 5.0c which will become (according to the list) +0.1.

Something not quite right there yet??