How to get the most out of golf whatever your age - your thoughts and tips please!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Can only really speak about the fifties coz that's when I got back into golf again. Felt like a born again virgin, but enjoying it better and more appreciative. Golf is struggling. I am sure the cost of buying equipment, and playing the game is paramount to that. Being in me 50's is early signs of being a grumpy old fart and being able to say that. But I am retired, play with regular PPs and we have a good laugh. Am at a stage where mentally and physically I am challenged. I still cling onto that " one good round". I still have a bit of physical and mental ability to achieve that or so I tell myself. I have the financial ability to play the finest courses. But common sense says two weeks supermarket money is not gonna pay for 18 holes.

NearHull

Visit site
I am 66 and with a BMI not recommended by the medical profession. I play 4/5 times a week , carry 10 clubs during winter, electric trolley the rest of the time. Over the past couple of years I am experiencing stiff muscles and stiff knee joints after the round. It’s particularly bad when I stand after a a post game drink and then during the evening when I stand after being brain numbed by the tv. I do stretch expercises before the round and feel fine during the round.

To get to my question, should I do some post game stretches etc or is there a vitamin “cure” that posters would recommend? Or any other (sensible) suggestions out there?

DCB

Visit site
Having played since I was a youngster I can see the various stages of my game in the OP. My best golf was undoubtedly played in my early 40s, probably for a variety of the reasons given in the GM Towers thoughts. Having reached my 50s I was playing regularly and although heading upward I still enjoyed playing and trying to be competitive. In 2004 I had a serious spinal accident, a target during my rehabilitation was to get back on the golf course. This entailed physically re-learning the game in it's entirety. Amazing what an old mindset can do when re-learning a game you have played for over 40 years. Whilst physical limitations restrict my distance on the course, the head can still work out what I need to do to put together a score. Short game and putting are still strong points, but the long game needed help from modern equipment, seniors shafts and larger grips. On a good day I can play to 24. Modern equipment would undoubtedly help so many "older" players who may still try to play with clubs more suited to a more athletic swing. Our bodies do slowly change and have greater recovery times after a round. Get the right kit and take all the help you can. I certainly find it still makes my golf an enjoyable experience. Roll on the 60s and hopefully more time to play after I retire.

PS The one good thing is I don't lose so many balls off the tee.... I can't hit them far enough to lose now :)