How old is old and how do you prepare for old age?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm 52 now. Got a few health issues but generally not too bad. Lost my mum and dad at relatively early age to cancer I'm not taking anything for granted. I see people a lot worse off than me on a daily basis even more acutely now I've moved to ICU. Age is a number only and sadly insipid diseases like cancer dont care about age. I do feel my age at times and other times feel like my early twenties. I'm not preparing for it (other than pension building) and would rather live for the now and the what may be. I'll make decisions and get over obstacles as and when they turn up

Wolf

Visit site
Well my smallest kids tell me at 38 Daddy you're old:ROFLMAO:

My oldest daughter is 18 and thinks I'm young and cool😎

Personally I think it is a number and now we are so much more prepared by having better knowledge of health, fitness & nutrition so we are better armed than ever to have a long happy, healthy existence.

Plus fact that I have 6 kids ones got to feel guilty enough to look after me ;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To answer the OP. Old is an individual thing, its not a certain number on your timeline but a stage in your life when health factors decide you cannot live an active lifestyle anymore (be that physical or mental) I am 70 now and except a few smaĺl ailments during the last ten years remain fit and active such that it means nothing to me. I retired from my full time career when I was 60 but after a year spending more time visiting my family and adjusting to life outside business I decided that I wanted to return to some part time working. I worked in a paid job for the National Trust for a few years which was very enjoyable but needed a little more travel than I wanted, I was then asked by an old friend who was a PGA Pro if I would help him run a local golf club, I have done this for six years part time now and love meeting people and just being around a golf club.
I have seen so many people I know change to a kind of slow motion version of their previous selves due to padding their activities out into the extra time they have on their hands. I think this is known as Parkinson's Law.

Keep active and do things you enjoy.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I sometimes play golf with real oldies like Smiffy, Leftie, Chrisd, BlueinMunich, Anotherdouble, Fragger, Imurg etc, as they make me look and feel so much younger.(y) I think of them as elderly uncles, not favourite uncles, but ones more from the black sheep side of the family.:eek:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll be 72 soon [ hopefully ] , still plodding away though my h/c is almost back to 18 where it started 40 odd years ago. All the wrong bits are stiff now, but still enjoying golf, but probably more so the company and crack.
None of us get out of here alive, so when I have to go, make it quick and painless , and if possible after I've had my 2nd hole in one and the celebration drink in the club house, but before I've paid for it.;)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I sometimes play golf with real oldies like Smiffy, Leftie, Chrisd, BlueinMunich, Anotherdouble, Fragger, Imurg etc, as they make me look and feel so much younger.(y) I think of them as elderly uncles, not favourite uncles, but ones more from the black sheep side of the family.:eek:

The last time the uncles were younger than the nephew the film was Deliverance... 🤣

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great comments.I have this vision of a wrecking crew go in down the fairways accompanied by a young sprog.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I couldn't pick those fellas out of an ID parade but your post reminded me of the cast of auf wiedersehen pet!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I couldn't pick those fellas out of an ID parade but your post reminded me of the cast of auf wiedersehen pet!

Or the cast of Dad's Army. Leftie as Godfrey, Smiffy as the Spiv. Not sure which one of the Murgs would be Pike but the other could be the stunt double. Blue as the ARP warden, and Double as the vicar... I can see the sketch forming. And of course, Rich as Mr Mannering

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"Waiting for God" or perhaps even RichardT as Victor Meldrew saying "I don't believe it". Usually when someone beats him off his own dodgy handicap!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
MY dad is 82 next month, still plays golf 3 or 4 times a week, is out most days. He's a plasterer by trade and even in his early 80's he was plastering a friends house.

So age is nothing but a number, you are as young as you feel, somedays I feel 80 other 18