Getting Old - How worried are you and options?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not his fault. though. Those characteristics are in his genes.
Strange how people who claim to have read all of his books have never got the point of what he is saying.
God knows where my atheist gene came from.
Apart from the fact there is no such thing as 'God', there is no atheist gene, either. But I take it that is what you mean.

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I imagine him to be just a humble person with an average brain who has found employment as an evolutionary biologist.
So what specifically are you referring to: The God Delusion, The Selfish Gene or what?
Stef, I realise you are at times on your own on here with your various theories but exactly what relevance are the majority of posts to do with the original question?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A stark reminder of ones own fallibility after my current visit to hospital. While I knew I probably still had one too many beers with the boys than I should I thought I didn't push the boundaries too far. Seem my colon has been poor from birth and my diabetes not a single well controlled as I thought. Short point if you feel in any way strange or notice anything unusual go get it checked

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Stef, I realise you are at times on your own on here with your various theories but exactly what relevance are the majority of posts to do with the original question?
As I'm over 70 I know things that people who are not elderly have yet to learn.
If get older I hope to learn more and more.
So it's down to experience and a great of reading and debating I've done over the years.
Science is relevant because it is always exploring why humans are around for only a few decades, as opposed to what makes them (atoms) which can be around for trillions of years.

I'm the only one who knows how my body feels.
As the laws of physics precludes us from getting younger, why should we be worried about getting older?
As for the purpose of living then you are free to make up your own mind.
I've read that the purpose of life (for instance) is to hydrogenate carbon dioxide.
So we are merely part of a process.
One explanation among many, but I'll consider it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A stark reminder of ones own fallibility after my current visit to hospital. While I knew I probably still had one too many beers with the boys than I should I thought I didn't push the boundaries too far. Seem my colon has been poor from birth and my diabetes not a single well controlled as I thought. Short point if you feel in any way strange or notice anything unusual go get it checked
Easier said than done these days.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So it's down to experience and a great of reading and debating I've done over the years.
Science is relevant because it is always exploring why humans are around for only a few decades, as opposed to what makes them (atoms) which can be around for trillions of years.

As the laws of physics precludes us from getting younger, why should we be worried about getting older?
I've read that the purpose of life (for instance) is to hydrogenate carbon dioxide.
What makes you age if your atoms are imortal.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Having made a statement like that you need to qualify it with references.

Do I? Do your own research, there’s plenty to read up on about his disproven theories, and his place in the scientific community. Methinks you’ve bet on the wrong horse.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Loving the way you link age with wisdom:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: in that one sentence you’ve confirmed what someone else posted… arrogance personified.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’d rather spend my time supping the whisky of life and contemplating the complex flavours than worry too much about where the atoms have come from and wether there is a T-Rex atom in my tipple ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Strange how people who claim to have read all of his books have never got the point of what he is saying.

Apart from the fact there is no such thing as 'God', there is no atheist gene, either. But I take it that is what you mean.
It depends…in my world I have a God - it may be of my understanding…and may not be the sort of God that atheists and agnostics think I should or might believe in. But they don’t believe in God anyway, therefore can’t define what they don’t believe exists, and so I consider them to be in no position to tell me that the God that I believe in doesn’t exist. Besides, I can’t really describe my God either, other than it is a God of love; and a God that tries to guide me to do the right thing rather than what I might want to do. But that’s just me, and with that I am comfortable.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Watched the Ed Ball’s programmes the other week and Panorama tonight. Nothing political here but getting old is something that affect us all. Cost is a major problem for care in older age and for some of us it is closer than we think.

For us it is worrying as neither us have brothers nor sisters and 3 sons and family live in Spain, Australia and New Zealand.

Have you thought about the potential problems and seeing the 3 programmes they are worrying times. Any thoughts?

How on Earth have we ended up discussing God, atheism, atoms………….?