How old is old and how do you prepare for old age?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I was young at school 50 seemed a lifetime away and it was. Now in 60’s with 3 sons all living abroad, 2 being in Australia and NZ and got us both wondering how we will manage.

Will we end up in Care Home, need to sell house etc and obviously little or no golf.

Anybody else has similar thoughts and how do you prepare?

Obviously we have friends but they are of a similar age.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not there but I have seen people go through this stage. As an observer, if you want to move to something more manageable then do it earlier than later. Once past a certain point the ordeal of moving becomes too great. Retirement flats etc are not the scary places they once were. There are some McArthy Stone ones built in my town that are great. They are not old peoples home as we think of them, they are modern homes for people getting older. Very different.

The rest I will leave to people who have been through this but think about the housing one if you need to. If you are in your 60's now then it is around the time to move or stick.

The very good news is that there is so much out there for older people, U3A, societies, etc. My mum is 79, socially active and loving life.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My my is 79, lives in a retirment bungalow, isnt in great health and says she never gets out! Well, Tuesday a gang go to hairdressers then bingo, Wednesday is a Social Club, Thursday my sister takes her shopping. Friday is another Club, and yet another one on Sunday... So, Monday and Saturday are the only days she has to amuse herself. She goes out more than me!

When folk my age (54) get there, we'll shop on the internet and be more organised with bills etc...so it'll be different.

I want to pack in full time work in the next two or three years.... and clear off to Cornwall... but we have two mum's to think about! (but they also live near our other sibblings) So who knows. Have thought about joining St Enodoc and living nearby..played it last week in high winds and thought "wow, that'll be hard work when I'm getting old!"

From what I've learned from my mum and my dad dying at 59, age doesnt matter a jot! It's about your health and resources. We have some guys in their 80s still playing decent golf at the club, one of my school mates died of a heart attack in his 40s.

Hagen called it right, We're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Old is what I feel after the body has been abused and is aching like billy-oh. I'm currently 52, and can remember my dad at this age and me thinking how old he was.
They say it's all in the mind, who knows.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think age is irrelevant.

It's how fit you are that matters.

My sister is 10 years older than me and there is no stopping her yet.

Me - there are days when I can barely make it out of bed.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
The moment I stop enjoying life, getting frail or struggle to clean myself I’ll be finding somewhere quiet and out the way. Peacefully.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
15 days till i’m 60. Left work just before Christmas last year, after being diagnosed with something nasty. Op went well in Jan, and we moved to Spain late Feb.

No more 50-60 hours behind a desk, and no more work stress. Just by being more active I’ve lost 2 stone. My golf is getting back to being good, including an under par round and several eagles - the first in a few years.

I accept I will get frail, and eventually struggle. May become seriously ill for a period of time, and then hoof the bucket. It’s the natural course of things.

Why worry, be happy.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is life in old age.
Of course you need your health and the security of a home and some disposable income.
I am 79 and am lucky to have all 3.
My golfing career is coming to an end because of an arthritic back but there is life after golf, I can still walk my rescue greyhounds and enjoy being able get about with my wife, a non golfer.
When all else fails you have much more time to browse the forum and laugh at the, some times, silly bickering that seems to affect so many threads of late.