Everything that is wrong about golf!!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wish you had named and shamed then you'd be pretty certain that they'd be sorted out for their behaviour

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Caddie,

Would you mind pming me the name of the club you have avoided and the one you have joined please?
I found this forum ( as an aside, I used to be an active poster on Golf magic, the format of their forum is pretty unsightly now, has Golf monthly had a lot of Gmagic transfers? ) through googling various courses around Twells and I am in the same situation as you. I am looking to join a club and my partner may do too once she feels comfortable. And it would be great to know where we can avoid!

Many thanks!

welcome aboard

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Hi Caddie,

Would you mind pming me the name of the club you have avoided and the one you have joined please?
I found this forum ( as an aside, I used to be an active poster on Golf magic, the format of their forum is pretty unsightly now, has Golf monthly had a lot of Gmagic transfers? ) through googling various courses around Twells and I am in the same situation as you. I am looking to join a club and my partner may do too once she feels comfortable. And it would be great to know where we can avoid!

Many thanks!

sm1gt, have a search for the caddie's original post about where to join in Sevenoaks, too. We all chipped in with our thoughts on courses.

I'll gladly take you around Westerham from late October?

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
'Everything that is wrong about golf' is the perfect subject line for this thread.
Its things like this that worry me for the time I get around to joining somewhere.
There should be list of snooty / rude course in each region to avoid to save people their time, and hopefully these courses will start acting like a business and stop turning new customers away. Essentially thats what we are, and if the poorest scrappiest looking fella had walked into a high end shop, of course they would turn there nose up, but the second he got out a wad of cash they wouldnt mind at all. Sadly, golf clubs seem to still deter those willing to pay them their hard earned, sooner or later they will crash and burn and wish they had done things differently I'm sure.

D

Deleted member 15344

Had a look at the courses near the OP and if it's the one I think it's a shame as it looks a lovely course.

Hopefully the OP finds a club that is more welcoming

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Hi Caddie,

Many thanks!

Welcome aboard sm1gt! I'm a T Wells resident and am a very happy member at the Nevill, so would happily show you round there one weekend if you want to check it out as your closest option.

Absolutely appalling. Sexism is still rife within our golf clubs but rarely as overtly demonstrated as that. I suggest your partner writes to their lady captain to explain what happened and why she didn't join.

I'd certainly recommend this, those responsible are likely to shrug it off, those it affects are more likely to take action.

We had a lot of KP members joining us at the Nevill this year reporting that the club is on the down, so think you dodged a bullet there! Hope you and your partner enjoy your new club and get the proper members experience!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So where did you go, Nizels ?

We did indeed. The course and greens were in great condition, the clubhouse was friendly and there is a gym and swimming pool that we will both use. Especially throughout winter.

KP a nicer course for the purist, but unfortunately Nizels beats it hands down in a lot of categories. Slight negative I suppose is that it's a country club / fitness centre and therefore it's not pure golf, but actually that works for us and we are both happy. There is also a much more vibrant ladies segment and men's in fact, and far more welcoming.

10/15 minutes drive so KP beats it there, but willing to travel for all of the other reasons above. Hopefully it works out! :)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's unbelievable. After just looking at the clubs website that's £5240 in the first year they've just missed out on inc' £1000 pp joining fees.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome aboard sm1gt! I'm a T Wells resident and am a very happy member at the Nevill, so would happily show you round there one weekend if you want to check it out as your closest option.

I'd certainly recommend this, those responsible are likely to shrug it off, those it affects are more likely to take action.

We had a lot of KP members joining us at the Nevill this year reporting that the club is on the down, so think you dodged a bullet there! Hope you and your partner enjoy your new club and get the proper members experience!

That's good to know Jake! Cheers! Shame Nevill is too far on the wrong side for us... Would be 40 mins in the car otherwise we'd check it out. Sounds like they are doing things right there!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems to me that the first people that meet you when you are looking to join a club are quite often the worst people to do the job.

I have had similar treatment.

sm1gt

Visit site
Thanks for the welcome!

Bratty, thanks very much for the offer. Westerham sounds like a lovely place, a friend of mine from Uni has been a member there most of his life I believe, he loves it, - congrats on the new practice facilities.

Jake, thank you too. Nevill is high on my list to play and I'd love to take up your offer at some point.

At the moment however I've got some upcoming professional exams to study for (hence my procrastination/dreaming of joining a club) that are using up all my weekends and a holiday booked once they are done. So I couldn't schedule anything at this point in time.

The offers are much appreciated though, thanks again!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think that you had a lucky escape and I hope that you both enjoy your time at the club chosen.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's not new news but 3 years ago when I was looking to join a club in our area within a ten to twelve mile radius, I was spoilt for choice, Ramsdale, Springwater, oak mere, Mansfield, Sherwood, Worksop, College Pines, Rufford, Bondhay, Southwell and finally Norwood Park where I eventually joined.
as a 50 yr old it was quite daunting choosing which club to join, some were never really an option. The one where I was half an inch off fighting with a guy on the first tee was definitely an option, until it was reported to the club captain via a third party what had gone off. When it was swept under the carpet as it was not " prudent to upset one of the established well to do members". Well Tashyboy said stick it and I have not been back since. So yes snobbery does still exsist at golf clubs.
what narked me re my incident at Rufford was the club captain was a work colleague who I considered a good pal. It seemed a golf member had more of a bond than a friend. Even though he was an out of order dick.