Everything that is wrong about golf!!!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wish you had named and shamed then you'd be pretty certain that they'd be sorted out for their behaviour

I have mentioned to members of the club that treated me badly and the response was "we all know what he (the secretary) is like but he is one of the old guard and is entrenched in the position"

So basically the members know how unwelcoming the secretary is but they do not do anything about it.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It's not new news but 3 years ago when I was looking to join a club in our area within a ten to twelve mile radius, I was spoilt for choice, Ramsdale, Springwater, oak mere, Mansfield, Sherwood, Worksop, College Pines, Rufford, Bondhay, Southwell and finally Norwood Park where I eventually joined.
as a 50 yr old it was quite daunting choosing which club to join, some were never really an option. The one where I was half an inch off fighting with a guy on the first tee was definitely an option, until it was reported to the club captain via a third party what had gone off. When it was swept under the carpet as it was not " prudent to upset one of the established well to do members". Well Tashyboy said stick it and I have not been back since. So yes snobbery does still exsist at golf clubs.
what narked me re my incident at Rufford was the club captain was a work colleague who I considered a good pal. It seemed a golf member had more of a bond than a friend. Even though he was an out of order dick.

So you really were trying to decide between Sherwood Forest and Jack Barker in Mansfield then? ;)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It turns out one of my customers is a member at Sherwood, we're hoping to get 9 holes in the next time I'm down. Is it any good? He did mention is was quite stuffy like :D

Yes it is a lovely course. I've had lessons with the pro a bit and bought some irons from him as they were cheaper than any internet shop. It is one of the more traditional clubs, but to be honest I've not felt it any 'stuffier' than just about any other club.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hacker you bad man. 😁

as as I mentioned a sentence or two later some were never an option and smashing me irons into an old pit tip was one of the reasons I never joined. having said that there is an hole on the back nine and it looks like your playing in the petrified forest. It's gorgeous.

Note, when the tornado went through Sherwood last year, the local golfers said to the Sherwood members " You will have to play at Sherwood Forest "B" course next door". Mansfields very own Jack Barker course. It did not go down to well.

played on a freebie earlier this year, when Sherwood was landscaped by Tornado Tash. There members got some freebies at other courses in Notts. the favour was returned. Tash and four others played in last week in March. There was the smallest smudging of frost about and the weather was gorgeous. Every green bar one was a temp. I was gutted.

having a drink in the clubhouse looking over the course is gorgeous. We were made really welcome. It is the closest course to me but cost was an issue and I have more pals at Norwood.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just catching up on the forum and I can't believe a club can be like that in 2015. Not sure if I was more disgusted about the attitude in general or the secretary being a spineless coward and getting the pro to do the dirty work. Glad the OP and his partner found a far warmer welcome elsewhere and hope they have a happy time in their new home

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have mentioned to members of the club that treated me badly and the response was "we all know what he (the secretary) is like but he is one of the old guard and is entrenched in the position"

So basically the members know how unwelcoming the secretary is but they do not do anything about it.

You tend to find that some clubs will put up with a bad sec because they can't find anyone else willing to do the job. Not an excuse, more a reason.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just catching up on the forum and I can't believe a club can be like that in 2015. Not sure if I was more disgusted about the attitude in general or the secretary being a spineless coward and getting the pro to do the dirty work. Glad the OP and his partner found a far warmer welcome elsewhere and hope they have a happy time in their new home

Thanks Homer, much appreciated!