Everything that is wrong about golf!!!

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure the Treasurer of a club which needs new members would be interested to hear that potential new members are being put off by the membership secretary and pro for whatever reason.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shameful. Feel for your partner, sickener.

Enjoy the more sociable club, I know the friendliness of the membership at my club is far more important than the facilities, as long as the track is enough to keep you interested then you're laughing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I find very difficult to understand why clubs are still like this. I moved nearly two years ago to a modern-ish club that doesn't have a committee and does have a sensible dress code. No stupid rules about mobiles or where to change your shoes. Its like a breath of fresh air.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Places like these need to look at the year on the calendar and get with the times :mmm:

Couldnt agree more. If some of these clubs opened their doors a little wider then the standard of golf at the club would increase, and in turn more people would be playing, which is best for the game.

There are plenty of people that have the money to join these kinds of clubs, so start welcoming them!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find very difficult to understand why clubs are still like this. I moved nearly two years ago to a modern-ish club that doesn't have a committee and does have a sensible dress code. No stupid rules about mobiles or where to change your shoes. Its like a breath of fresh air.

It's the short sightedness that kills me. We literally live 2 minute drive from the club. In the summer we'd be their most nights, and every weekend, and we'd more than likely spend money behind the bar too. We are young, no children ATM, and both want to improve. We are exactly the type of people golf clubs are crying out for...

For the sake of 6 - 12 months not being at their 'standard' for a return of 40 years potential membership it's a fairly safe risk reward play.

G

guest100718

Still to many clubs think that joining them is some sort of status symbol.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Places like these need to look at the year on the calendar and get with the times :mmm:

Exactly!

As a young person, some of the rules that clubs have in place are just laughable. You could say I'm from the generation where money talks, and if you pay, you get it, not having to rely on gender, colour, creed, or socio-economic status, the former and the latter being the main ones in golf clubs.

A club near me has a very outdated application procedure, with proposers, seconders, interviews, ballots by a committee, handicap assessments, snooty people, etc, and it just made me think, I had £800 in my hand for a membership, and it can spend itself anywhere. They should have been trying to snarl it out your hand, not look down their nose at you like you're not worthy of their presence. I'm sure the OP had a similar opinion.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
It's the short sightedness that kills me. We literally live 2 minute drive from the club. In the summer we'd be their most nights, and every weekend, and we'd more than likely spend money behind the bar too. We are young, no children ATM, and both want to improve. We are exactly the type of people golf clubs are crying out for...

For the sake of 6 - 12 months not being at their 'standard' for a return of 40 years potential membership it's a fairly safe risk reward play.

You need to be a champion for future prospective members of the 1st club and name and shame them. Nothin at all wrong with posting your feedback on Twitter and this/ other forum(s). Like others have said the club are probably in the dark ages, and I don t think the PGA would appreciate a teaching pro (thats all he is now) conducting himself that way.

What was the pro called BTW.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was saying the other day at Sharpley, clubs need to get with the times and start doing things which will entice new members otherwise they will be turned into housing estates. Who wants to join a club where you can't get a table in the bar because the 'captain's sweep' have pushed them all together meaning no one else can sit down. Club secretaries who won't even answer a reasonable question and are rude to members. It's weird, it really is ridiculous how some golf clubs can be lol.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dreadful treatment! Glad you found somewhere else that wants you. Hope you can find the time to write a strong letter to that club about your 'experience'.

sm1gt

Visit site
Hi Caddie,

Would you mind pming me the name of the club you have avoided and the one you have joined please?
I found this forum ( as an aside, I used to be an active poster on Golf magic, the format of their forum is pretty unsightly now, has Golf monthly had a lot of Gmagic transfers? ) through googling various courses around Twells and I am in the same situation as you. I am looking to join a club and my partner may do too once she feels comfortable. And it would be great to know where we can avoid!

Many thanks!

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Shocking to hear but not surprised! Golf's antiquated fuddy duddies like this need to lay down and die otherwise their precious boys clubs will be no more!

You def have to voice your feelings to the club! Then tell us all too :)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely appalling. Sexism is still rife within our golf clubs but rarely as overtly demonstrated as that. I suggest your partner writes to their lady captain to explain what happened and why she didn't join.

I imagine she is already painfully aware of the situation but perhaps this might give her some ammunition to drag them into the 21st century.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Appalling. i bet the members are even worse! Got no time for people like that.

Least you have managed to tricked your other half into playing which is excellent. Wish my wife would give it a go !

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's daft and sexist and to be clear in advance it's a position I don't agree with. However! The club seems to be well established and healthy, so you have to be careful phrasing your complaint in terms of "You have to have members like us to survive these difficult times" because it seems that they're doing just fine without members like you. And that's a very difficult argument to overcome as we all know.

It's not hard to infer which is the club in question. Sevenoaks. 2 Minutes Drive. Google Maps. Bingo?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you join for in the end ?

I'd heard both KP and the W were both quite snooty but didn't have first hand experience so didn't say so in your original post about golf clubs in that area.