How much leave do you get (with caveats)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lower salaries for serving the public too.
Depends on what you define as low. Business Analyst in private sector median is £45,000.

Business Analyst grade in Scot Gov (or equivalent pay bands) median is… £44,500.

Lowest salary that I can see on combined paybands is £22,500. Which is higher than what many private sectors will pay entry level staff (think I recall seeing the 2021 median was £18,500).

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
28 days but I work 6 days a week so it's basically just over three weeks off when you factor in bank holidays.
You work six days EVERY week, what industry is that?

On the other end of the scale, I have a pal that works in a factory. Apart from over 2 months in summer he works 4 days (12 hours) then 6 days off.

Only working 5 shifts in December due to his shift pattern and a shut down.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
We have loads going on

25 days annual leave
3 days company holiday between Xmas and NY

8 bank holidays + 1 extra to match US. 5 of these can be taken whenever you want. Xmas, BD, NY and Aug is fixed, others are ‘floating’

5 days can be rolled over. 5 extra can be bought

Company wide well-being day in June

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t speak for rUK but final salary pensions in Scotland were phased out years ago, pretty much all of the clients I have worked for no longer support final salary schemes.
When I worked for the Pru and they switched to Defined Contribution I believe all those already in the Defined Benefit scheme stayed in it. I cannot be to sure as I was already drawing my pension by then. Every year we get a booklet and it contains what is going on within each scheme. Very noticeable that as the Defined Benefit scheme is no longer getting money added the capital asset is decreasing.

Mind you at one time there was nearly 50K employees and that number has been substantially reduced with the closure of the home service depts, regional offices and the selling off of all the General Branch Insurance.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I worked for the Pru and they switched to Defined Contribution I believe all those already in the Defined Benefit scheme stayed in it. I cannot be to sure as I was already drawing my pension by then. Every year we get a booklet and it contains what is going on within each scheme. Very noticeable that as the Defined Benefit scheme is no longer getting money added the capital asset is decreasing.

Mind you at one time there was nearly 50K employees and that number has been substantially reduced with the closure of the home service depts, regional offices and the selling off of all the General Branch Insurance.
In most cases (or at least clients I have worked with), staff were migrated from final salary with 1 years notice.

Staff nearing retirement age were give the option of taking the final salary and retiring within the year. If they chose to stay they were migrated and the final salary was then phased out completely.

Anyone joining new joined the contributory scheme.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
27 plus bank Holidays and the option of up to 20 days "flexi" as well, I've got 2 extra days as I've been with the Company over 10 years.

However, you are obligated to take 3 days off between Xmas and New Year as site closes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
27 plus bank Holidays and the option of up to 20 days "flexi" as well, I've got 2 extra days as I've been with the Company over 10 years.

However, you are obligated to take 3 days off between Xmas and New Year as site closes.

It's amazing the difference of opinion to that time between Xmas and new year

When in block leave you got Xmas every say 4 years

In our grade we never could get leave so you were only off if you were rest days that week anyways

Now it's a system of put in for it and if you get it you go bottom of list until everyone gets a fair crack over time

Yet I know so many people who don't like having that time off and would prefer to work

I'll be enjoying the time off for once, however I have just agreed to work new year's for my friend so she will work a random Saturday in January that the twins have a party 😂

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
You work six days EVERY week, what industry is that?

On the other end of the scale, I have a pal that works in a factory. Apart from over 2 months in summer he works 4 days (12 hours) then 6 days off.

Only working 5 shifts in December due to his shift pattern and a shut down.
Parcel delivery. Chucking it after Christmas.
Allegedly self employed but all the hassle of being an employee without any of the benefits.
Ask your pal if there's any jobs going.😆

HeftyHacker

Visit site
It's amazing the difference of opinion to that time between Xmas and new year

When in block leave you got Xmas every say 4 years

In our grade we never could get leave so you were only off if you were rest days that week anyways

Now it's a system of put in for it and if you get it you go bottom of list until everyone gets a fair crack over time

Yet I know so many people who don't like having that time off and would prefer to work

I'll be enjoying the time off for once, however I have just agreed to work new year's for my friend so she will work a random Saturday in January that the twins have a party 😂

Well I work in the finance team and our financial year end is the calendar year end so we have a bit of an unofficial line that if you work at all over that period (normally just involves checking if any invoices or costs have landed) then you can claim a standard day back even if you just worked a couple of hours.

But as a general rule we very rarely need to.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know. But a bloke that has been with Tesco's for years has "an old contract" and gets paid for all his time off. Jesus he's never in work. He's just back for a week after about two months off, then books a week holiday. The big joke in store is that everyone knows he will be off sick for Xmas as he always is. No one can do a thing about it

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know. But a bloke that has been with Tesco's for years has "an old contract" and gets paid for all his time off. Jesus he's never in work. He's just back for a week after about two months off, then books a week holiday. The big joke in store is that everyone knows he will be off sick for Xmas as he always is. No one can do a thing about it
So you’re saying a company the size of Tesco has no absence management policy?

I know this isn’t the case having worked with them in 2018, one of the projects was looking at cost impact of lost hours.

If nothing is being done then the manager isn’t doing their job.