How much leave do you get (with caveats)

Swango1980

Visit site
Was just wondering how many days leave general workers get in here? Not including weird jobs like teachers, who obviously get the school holidays. And not including bank holidays.

We get 25 days a year, which I'm guessing is pretty standard?

Also, does anyone get additional days the longer they work in the firm, or perhaps based on their position within the firm?

D

Deleted member 25172

25 days.
If with the company for 5 years an additional day (I'm a year and a half away from that), 10 years another two additional days.
Can buy up to 5 days extra.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get 27 days, plus we shut down between Christmas and New Year so I don't have to work those days (27,28,29 Dec). Plus I get 2 additional days which, I don't really understand how they work, but they're like two extra days you can only use as one-offs on certain occasions. If you add all that up I guess it makes 32.

I have gained 5 additional days by being with the company for over a decade - every two years you get one additional day. It caps at 5 though so I won't get anymore now.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I've worked on a 14 days on/off rota for nearly 17 years!!
In some ways it works well for the golf and other times it doesn't.
My wife works a 'normal' job and she gets 32 plus bank holidays, she has to take Christmas day and Boxing day, she can take the other bank holidays whenever it suits.

RichA

Visit site
I've been with my employer for 27 years, so I'm maxed out at 30 days A/L. But I'm currently 80% time so it's reduced to 24 days.

Swango1980

Visit site
Very very interesting, as this was exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of suggesting to the board.

Firstly, I felt it would be a nice thing for staff if they were rewarded an additional days leave for 2 years service, up to a maximum of 30 days (i.e. increased as they get to 10 years service).

Furthermore, we work in an office and not retail or public facing, so Xmas is absolutely dead. However, we have to come in those 3 days over Xmas unless we use up our annual leave. Today we have stressed staff, because some have already booked those 3 days off and now it means they will probably need to come in. The office is absolutely dead over Xmas, as pretty much all our clients are off. Yet the idea is that there should be staff in the office on the very off chance there is a phone call and we need to respond to a software activation or something. So I was going to suggest we should close down over Xmas. Even asking staff to use up 1.5 days of their leave and we give them 1.5 days leave as a sort of compromise.

I'm glad that is seems that other companies do things like this, and I'm not living in dreamland.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The maximum I used to get in the police was 30 days (taken in hours) - from memory I started on quite a lot less and was “awarded” additional leave as I progressed through my service.

Bank holidays were treated separately. If you were rostered to be off then you got an additional rest day in lieu. If you were rostered to work and you worked it you got paid overtime. If you were rostered to work and were given the day off (we always worked to minimum staffing levels on bank holidays because of the financial cost) then you simply had the day off - no owed additional day, no financial recompense.

My sister in law worked for the NHS as a district nurse. She got 30 odd days, plus bank holidays, plus a day in lieu for all the bank holidays.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
25 days plus bank holidays, I’ve been with the same firm for almost 18 years and they don’t do a loyalty scheme where you get extra days for x years of service. Still got shed loads left to use up by March and I’ll be working away in Perth for a least 6 weeks out of the next three months 🤦🏻

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Swango 1980. Are you ex military by any chance? Where I worked the only person who called holidays "leave" had been in the army. Btw, I got 30 days because I was senior
Holiday is called 'annual leave' in my company. That's in construction, nothing to do with military.

Swango1980

Visit site
@Swango 1980. Are you ex military by any chance? Where I worked the only person who called holidays "leave" had been in the army. Btw, I got 30 days because I was senior
No, not me. Our company just refers to it as Annual Leave.

Mind you, I'm in Lincolnshire and I'm surrounded by ex-military types, especially on the golf course. Maybe it has been an influence in my language.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This. The term annual leave has been common across pretty much all industry for years, apparently it comes from the idea that not all days off are taken for going on "holiday".
Yeah, makes sense. Some of them are for staycations. 😃

Not gonna lie, I've used 90% of my leave days this year on golf days.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was 25 days thoughout my working life - though in my last job I reached 16yrs and so had triggered an extra day.

Early days in one employment my boss spotted that I’d booked half day holiday. He asked if I was doing anything in particular. I think I might have had a dentist appointment. He told me that my holiday entitlement was for holidays, and as I worked plenty of extra hours unpaid (nature of my job) I don‘t need to book holiday for such things as dentist/doctors appointments or for picking up kids from school etc. Best boss I ever had.