How much leave do you get (with caveats)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I work for Scottish Gov and i got 45 days from Aug to end of March, this includes BH though. will get more next year. my wife has worked for the same body for close to 20 years and shes well over 60 days
No wonder the Scottish "government" are looking to save money and reduce staff with that amount of leave!
60 days is only 5 less than teachers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was just wondering how many days leave general workers get in here? Not including weird jobs like teachers, who obviously get the school holidays. And not including bank holidays.

We get 25 days a year, which I'm guessing is pretty standard?

Also, does anyone get additional days the longer they work in the firm, or perhaps based on their position within the firm?

29 days plus all the bank holidays but as we have to work them they go onto our leave. Then 15 banked rest days worked into our roster because we work over our contracted hours and "bank" them. Other grades take them as leave we prefer a better roster

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
29 days. Started off with 25, then qualified through years for service for one extra day per year over 5 years. I was 6 months away from another day when the company was taken over.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Retired now, but I got the statutory minimum of 28 days, which includes bank holidays, in two separate jobs/careers in private and public sector.
First job was 5 shifts in 7 days, any two days off, working night shifts and weekends with no extra pay for unsocial hours. Bank holidays just meant more work.
So you took your 20 + 8 days whenever. That is 5.6 weeks - the statutory minimum.

Second job was Monday to Friday normal hours and had to be off on bank holidays, so only 4 weeks to take whenever.

No longer a wage-slave and I much prefer not working now. :D

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work 20 weeks a year, so 32 weeks off. I would work less but after I've been at home for a month Mrs Colch "encourages" me to go back to work.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I
Nobody has to book time off for appointments do they?? Or was this not commonplace back in the black and white years? :p
It may not have been for a dentist/doctor appointment, as you are right. Must have been child related. But I do recall well the conversation, he counted time off for such as picking up kids from school as time off in lieu.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had to smile at this. My first job was in the Civil Service we got 3 weeks annual leave a 4 weeks sick leave. I was called down to the personnel office and asked why I was not using any of my sick leave entitlement.
i cant remember what i got when i was at Hial, which is a Quango all well, i remember one guy that had been there his whole working life from school the amount of Leave he got was astounding

D

Deleted member 23270

Was just wondering how many days leave general workers get in here? Not including weird jobs like teachers, who obviously get the school holidays. And not including bank holidays.

We get 25 days a year, which I'm guessing is pretty standard?

Also, does anyone get additional days the longer they work in the firm, or perhaps based on their position within the firm?
What makes you think teachers get school holidays off?

Swango1980

Visit site
What makes you think teachers get school holidays off?
Because I'm friends with loads of them. Fair enough, they don't get the entire holiday off. For example, in the summer they get 5 weeks off, and then spend the 6th week (or maybe even the last 2 or 3 days) in a wave of depression and trying to get all their prep work done for the next school year.

Swango1980

Visit site
For those that have had increased in holidays for years service (e.g. up to 5 days, maybe an extra day every 2-3 years), what is the situation when the company employ new staff at different levels? For example, employ a graduate they probably get the minimum holidays and have to work it up. But what if the company employ someone in their middle age, or someone (regardless of age) in a more Senior position. Would the starting holidays always start on minimum, or would the starting holidays depend on age / position of the employee?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those that have had increased in holidays for years service (e.g. up to 5 days, maybe an extra day every 2-3 years), what is the situation when the company employ new staff at different levels? For example, employ a graduate they probably get the minimum holidays and have to work it up. But what if the company employ someone in their middle age, or someone (regardless of age) in a more Senior position. Would the starting holidays always start on minimum, or would the starting holidays depend on age / position of the employee?
Depends on the company. I've worked with some clients that have a singular policy that applies to everyone from cleaner to CEO, but at the same time I've also worked with a couple that had a staggered policy that, in principle, worked the same (e.g. and extra day for every year after 5 years) but the starting point was different depending on seniority (e.g. admin staff start at 25 days but an exec starts at 30).

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Certainly in the police, everyone starts on the minimum. That applies to police officers and civilian staff.

It was one of the multitude of reasons I never entertained the idea of returning as staff once I’d retired, despite some good offers. I had absolutely no wish, as a retired 54 year old sergeant, to start again with the entitlements of an 18 year old school leaver.

Swango1980

Visit site
Certainly in the police, everyone starts on the minimum. That applies to police officers and civilian staff.

It was one of the multitude of reasons I never entertained the idea of returning as staff once I’d retired, despite some good offers. I had absolutely no wish, as a retired 54 year old sergeant, to start again with the entitlements of an 18 year old school leaver.
We work at a relatively small Consultancy firm. We could employ graduates, or we may need to get staff in with more experience and at a senior level. So, in that sense, it probably makes sense that the starting leave is different for different positions, as it might be a turn off for someone to come work for us at a higher level if their leave is right down at the minimum. I guess it then is about getting it right, to be fair to all, as offering a new employee more days leave that another member of staff that might have been with us 5 or 6 years might cause discontent.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the funny things in my life re holidays was that I once worked masses of overtime including all day Sundays in to Monday morning.

Once again I was called down to personnel as they wanted to check my age.

Sorry they said we cannot pay you overtime as you are under 18 you will have to take it as time off in lieu.

Boy that was some summer holiday, I had months off.

D

Deleted member 23270

Because I'm friends with loads of them. Fair enough, they don't get the entire holiday off. For example, in the summer they get 5 weeks off, and then spend the 6th week (or maybe even the last 2 or 3 days) in a wave of depression and trying to get all their prep work done for the next school year.
Then I would suggest they are not doing their jobs properly. My other half teaches so does my son in law. Teachers generally have 2 or maybe 3 weeks downtime in the summer, the rest is spent on admin and lesson prep.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We work at a relatively small Consultancy firm. We could employ graduates, or we may need to get staff in with more experience and at a senior level. So, in that sense, it probably makes sense that the starting leave is different for different positions, as it might be a turn off for someone to come work for us at a higher level if their leave is right down at the minimum. I guess it then is about getting it right, to be fair to all, as offering a new employee more days leave that another member of staff that might have been with us 5 or 6 years might cause discontent.

The only issue from a personal perspective is that my former employers miss the boat with loads of retirees who may consider returning in roles where their expertise would be invaluable, but many refuse because of the awful leave entitlement.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be interesting to see how the leave time allowances are split between private and the public sector.
As A rough guess, I would imagine the public sector allowances are much greater.