How often do you clean your clubs

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
How often do you clean your clubs?

How often do you clean your clubs? Specifically your irons.

i got my set of X2 Hots in September and was fastidious about cleaning them after every round ... for about 6 weeks.

I played today and they looked at me with a certain sadness and remorse as if to ask, "How can you treat us so carelessly?" And I'm ashamed to say that they had traces of December's mud clinging to them still.

I am treating them to a total spruce up tomorrow but I'm now racked by guilt, uselessness and shame.

When I got them I promised them nothing but TLC. I have failed miserably. Please don't hate me...

Last edited:

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Re: How often do you clean your clubs?

How often do you clean your clubs? Specifically your irons.

i got my set of X2 Hots in September and was fastidious about cleaning them after every round ... for about 6 weeks.

I played today and they looked at me with a certain sadness and remorse as if to ask, " How can you treat us so carelessly?" And I'm ashamed to say that they had traces of December's mud clinging to them still.

I am treating them to a total spruce up tomorrow but I'm now racked by guilt, uselessness and shame.

When I got them I promised them nothing but TLC. I have failed miserably. Please don't hate me...

lol,

Am sure I had the same idea when I got mine 3 years or so ago.... It didn't last long.

Now they get a rub with the towel before being struck, or if there really bad I get the brissly brush out and thats it...

Maybe I'll take more care of my next set...

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site

If I play in the morning I clean them before lunch so they're ready for the afternoon. If I'm practising outside in the afternoon they get cleaned before I have a shower.

I feel I should now make some form of apology or excuse..........

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site

Wipe them with my towel after every shot, then when I get home I clean them with warm soapy water, dry them and put my bag in the nice warm cupboard where all my golf gear goes. I suppose I have a touch of OCD :D but have been like that for years.

When I was serving my time the two old timers teaching me the trade said "look after your gear and it will look after you" and that has stuck with me for 40 year.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I give them a wipe after a shot if they're plastered in mud, but as to a proper scrub in water for the whole set, probably once a month or so.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes, my guilt grows ever greater by the minute.

I mean I know dirty and clagged-up grooves means I get less control and spin, so as a late Lenten gesture I have resolved to clean them every time I get home atfter a round.

I have been shown the error of my ways and have been saved brothers and sisters.

Let me hear you say "Yeah! Amen!"

Last edited:

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site

After every round. Shoes, clubs and trolley wheels cleaned so ready to go next time:thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Every now and then when they look dirty

But can't see how dirty clubs can get if they are given a quick wipe after every shot and grooves given a quick brush ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yes, my guilt grows ever greater by the minute.

I mean I know dirty and clagged-up grooves means I get less control and spin, so as a late Lenten gesture I have resolved to clean them every time I get home atfter a round.

I have been shown the error of my ways and have been saved brothers and sisters.

Let me hear you say "Yeah! Amen!"

As a couple of others have said, after every shot.

If you wait until you get home, every shot after the first one with each iron potentially has clogged grooves.

Plus, I'm too lazy to do it at home.

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site

As a couple of others have said, after every shot.

If you wait until you get home, every shot after the first one with each iron potentially has clogged grooves.

Just like to add, I'm not saying I don't wipe them after every shot, I was given a nice Ping towel by our pro to do it with, but I don't count that as 'cleaning my clubs'.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Just like to add, I'm not saying I don't wipe them after every shot, I was given a nice Ping towel by our pro to do it with, but I don't count that as 'cleaning my clubs'.

same here a wipe with the towel is done after every shot, but they get the full monty once back home:thup:

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk

Just finished doing mine after a little neglect from last weeks round. Usually give them a wipe over after each shot and end of the round though...

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes, not talking about a post-shot wipe. I'm talking about a full deep clean with heads in soapy water (a mate soaks his in a Cillit Bang solution) and full nail brush action to attempt to restore them to just-out-of-the-pro-shop-and-into-the-bag-pristineness.

S

Snelly

Properly? Never.

A quick swish through wet grass if they are really mucky suffices.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

On Monday last week ......... strangely happened to be the day before I went to a Callaway fitting mmmmm!

And29

Head Pro
Visit site

I carry 2 towels one wet one dry. I wipe the club after every shot.

and its great for cleaning the ball before putting.