How often do you clean your clubs

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Re: How often do you clean your clubs?

special chrome polish weekly and was after every game.

whats the best way to remove rust spots from forged clubs effectively

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I just give mine a quick wipe after each shot but yesterday noticed that a few of them have some mud down in the cavities so will give them a bit of a scrub up before Royal Cinque Ports on Monday.

masterosouffle

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Wipe after each shot, brush before I use it and a full soapy clean before a big round or a visit to a nice course.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Like most, I wipe all the mud off after each shot on a towel, and then I try to dry the head, before putting a head cover back on (yes, I use head covers, get over it).

I play regularly with a couple of guys who's clubs are disgraceful. Absolutely coated in mud, such that you can't even see if there are any grooves at all. One of them has irons that are less than a month old. I just can't understand how any one can be like this. It must affect play, and just looks dreadful. I couldn't put a club that dirty in my bag.

I wash my clubs probably once a month, but I clean my shoes after each round.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site

They get a wipe with a towel after each shot. Other than that, probably once a year maybe. I can't remember the last time that I gave them a proper wash.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Probably about once a week.
Wiping the worst off after each shot keeps them reasonably clean so they don't need a bath after every game

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When they get dirty. In the winter they pick up mud but come summer it could be weeks or months between cleans.

Where do you folks all play that your clubs need cleaning after every shot?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When they get dirty. In the winter they pick up mud but come summer it could be weeks or months between cleans.

Where do you folks all play that your clubs need cleaning after every shot?

It's not the state of the ground that means they need cleaning, but taking a divot after every shot.

I guess if you don't take divots they won't get dirty.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not the state of the ground that means they need cleaning, but taking a divot after every shot.

I guess if you don't take divots they won't get dirty.

This reminds me of a Peter Alliss wry live commentary quip. Someone, can't remember which player it was, took an enormous divot in playing a great shot. The other person in the box commented on the divot.

"That's the thing about divots. It's only the very good or the very bad players tend to take them," said the great man.

As a habitual 'fatter' I did chuckle.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

special chrome polish weekly and was after every game.

whats the best way to remove rust spots from forged clubs effectively

just me gets rust spots then- they are at least 15 years old I suppose

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

just me gets rust spots then- they are at least 15 years old I suppose

You could try soaking them in Cola for a short time. That certainly worked on a TP Mills Putter that I didn't realise was Carbon Steel as opposed to Stainless and left a damp Head-cover on it!

However, this could well accelerate the erosion of the plating - as can most other 'corrective' processes. A wipe with a cloth dampened with a little oil - vegetable or whatever, or even WD40 or similar - might slow that process down a bit. But, short of getting them re-plated, I don't believe there's a lot that can be done.