How often do people usually change clubs ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I though fi

I thought fitters didnt 'push', but offered a technical analysis that let the data speak for itself?

A technical analysis that let the data speak for itself would involve bolting that head to the shaft or shafts and allowing the customer to hit it in order to collect the data for technical analysis. By not doing that, or being reluctant to do it, he pushes the customer towards the new model.

But I suspect you know that. ?

MJS_67

Visit site
I tend to change my irons about every 4 or 5 years, that said I never go for new clubs and generally pick things up from Ebay.

Currently gaming PING G30 driver, 3 wood and hybrids, Srixon Z765 irons and a variety of wedges.

My oldest club in the bag is an MD Golf colbolt 50 degree wedge, keep thinking about changing it but like it too much.
Usually after each shot. Except on the greens obviously.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I took my old titleist 910 driver out for a spin 2 a few weeks ago.

Spin being the operative word. Thing goes nowhere compared to my m3 driver. Spins like mad.

I loved the 910. Could hit it both ways fairly well. Good fairway finder but giving up a serious amount of yards. Felt like the harder I swung the more it spun.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Spin being the operative word. Thing goes nowhere compared to my m3 driver. Spins like mad.

I loved the 910. Could hit it both ways fairly well. Good fairway finder but giving up a serious amount of yards. Felt like the harder I swung the more it spun.

Different shafts though I assume?

evemccc

Visit site

Probably true….AFAIK the harder you swing the more spin you impart

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

This is the driver I'm getting shot of too. Switching to the G425 LST, much lower spin rate, and looking like 10-15 yds gain.

Also unlike the OP hugely impressed by the G425 irons, so ditching the i20's I've had for near ten years

RichA

Visit site
This is the driver I'm getting shot of too. Switching to the G425 LST, much lower spin rate, and looking like 10-15 yds gain.

Also unlike the OP hugely impressed by the G425 irons, so ditching the i20's I've had for near ten years
Like the OP, for the first couple of months I struggled with the G425 irons and thought I'd made a mistake.
Having persisted and taken the time to get used to them, like you I'm finding them an absolute joy to use.
When I was being tentative and defensive, the results were poor. When I made a conscious decision to go for it and started striking with 100% effort, the difference was laughable.
I have found that the forgiveness only comes when you really hit the ball hard. A well struck shot is consistently high and straight. What feels like a poorly connecting, fat mishit often results in an embarrassed, "Thanks," when your pps congratulate you on a good shot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Like the OP, for the first couple of months I struggled with the G425 irons and thought I'd made a mistake.
Having persisted and taken the time to get used to them, like you I'm finding them an absolute joy to use.
When I was being tentative and defensive, the results were poor. When I made a conscious decision to go for it and started striking with 100% effort, the difference was laughable.
I have found that the forgiveness only comes when you really hit the ball hard. A well struck shot is consistently high and straight. What feels like a poorly connecting, fat mishit often results in an embarrassed, "Thanks," when your pps congratulate you on a good shot.
I’m finding same with my new i210s. As learning new swing stuff I’ve been very tentative over first 2-3 months with how aggressively I swing, and while the main faults are clearly being corrected and the quality of strike has been ok, feel of strike and distance have not been great. But as my confidence has increased I’m finding distance and feel improving significantly.

TigerBear

Visit site
In need of a change. Irons are around 7 years old now. Driver was an eBay purchase and the model is about 9+ years. Woods and hybrids are fairly new.

Will look to change the irons for next season.

Boomy

Visit site
Isnt that marketing patter though, and what the manufacturers need you to believe? And as normal it is without any quantitative data from them.

One can equally say that the lesser golfer doesnt hit it as long, so even the small differences Crossfield experienced as an upper end striker will be even smaller for the shorter hitter. And that the lesser golfers issues, and why he is a poorer golfer in the first place, come from the really bad hits: slices, tops, quick hooks, etc, that no club is ever going to save.

Whilst some of the big manufacturers claims will be nothing but blown up marketing patter, there is 100% no doubt in my mind that advances in Iron technology and design have made modern clubs more forgiving than 12/13 years ago let alone 20. The sweet spots are larger, thinner faces to improve impact off the face, heel & toe weighting etc (and generally in a lot more compact design) fundamental advances in design. Whilst the difference between the 2019 TaylorMade P790 might be nominal compared to the 2021 TaylorMade P790 the difference compared to a 20 year old Ping Eye 2 is worlds apart! If there hadn't been those advances along the way all of the staff players would still be using their trusty Ping Eye 2’s! We are seeing now some pro’s using 1/2/3 year old drivers/fairways/hybrid models which for them are better, but nobody is using 20 year old irons (or likely even 5 year old irons although I’m sure there’ll be an odd one…)
Also using one of those comparisons where a pro is hitting every club out of the middle as an example bears no resemblance to you’re average amateur comparing them. The Ping G400 driver is the most forgiving and longest driver I’ve ever used, and I’m getting older, not younger so it’s not down to me hitting it harder… or down to just the shaft.
Marketing patter is one thing to look past but genuine fundamental advances in design aren’t.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm interested in this thread, as I have had my irons since 2007. They are King Cobras, and I have from 4 iron down to sand wedge. I have never felt that there was anything better out there, and thus your comments would be appreciated. I'm 70 next with a handicap of 9.9. I am tempted to change if only for something to celebrate my 70th birthday!!
No need to bother imo. You are obviously hitting them well enough and technology hasn't produced anything markedly better - just cheated with lofts! As long as you wrists don't hurt after a round, the shafts are ok for you too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I dont know really, just never noticed a difference in the old 15 year old ping set I used before. I noticed a big difference when upgrading the driver. I just think I would like to try a bunch of different wedges and irons now.
That's because iron technology hasn't really changed in that time; certainly nowhere near as much as Driver tech has!
My around 20yo irons are still as good as any when allowance is made for 'loft-tweaking'. And the sweetspost are hardly worn! :rolleyes:

Boomy

Visit site
That's because iron technology hasn't really changed in that time; certainly nowhere near as much as Driver tech has!
My around 20yo irons are still as good as any when allowance is made for 'loft-tweaking'. And the sweetspost are hardly worn! :rolleyes:

Absolute rubbish! You keep believing your 20 year old irons are as forgiving as modern irons… another stuck in a time warp.

Boomy

Visit site
I'm interested in this thread, as I have had my irons since 2007. They are King Cobras, and I have from 4 iron down to sand wedge. I have never felt that there was anything better out there, and thus your comments would be appreciated. I'm 70 next with a handicap of 9.9. I am tempted to change if only for something to celebrate my 70th birthday!!

I play off a similar handicap and was playing 2008 Titleist Irons until late in the summer. My coach said I’d get much more forgiveness out of a newer set of irons, I was sceptical, very sceptical UNTIL I went and tried some modern irons. No change in shaft spec from what I was playing, but worlds apart in forgiveness, I was blown away. The new irons were stronger lofts so we knew they’d show as going further for the number on the club, that’s fine, we knew that but that wasn’t the thing I was interested in - it was the forgiveness for off centre hits, the forgiveness but still feeling fantastic and forged soft. I tried more forgiving clubs years ago and they had big wide soles, we’re clunky and ugly looking - not anymore! You can get a buttery soft feeling, beautiful looking iron with forgiveness built in out of sight - I bought the 2019 model TaylorMade P790 irons (4-PW) on offer as they just launched the 2021 version. Game changer. I’d 100% recommend going to a fitting centre and trying some irons, comparing the numbers to yours. Design has moved on significantly in 14 years (in both irons and drivers)

Last edited:

G1z1

Visit site
I have been watching a few videos on the new mizuno iron and was thinking about going for a fitting early next year. Would a forged iron feel noticeably better than the ping g425 because that’s why I dislike them, they go far enough but they feel horrible and firm. Also in one video the guy said there not proper forged irons, so what is classed a proper forged iron.