How often do people usually change clubs ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My irons are around 4 years old but I have tried 5 other sets in that time and not found anything better suited to my game.
I still have one set from about 1995 and I think my next change will be to go back to them. Difference between the 2 in the main is the older set have graphite shafts.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
At worst, I had 3 sets in a year. At best, a set lasted 7 years. If yoúve got an itch it won’t go away without new clubs.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How often do people usually change clubs and what reason makes you change them ? I have the ping g425 and I’ve just never really been impressed with the irons, I do like the driver wood and hybrid but not really impressed with the irons. On my fitting it was that or Taylor made and I was hitting the ping stuff better but thinking already I would like a change.

I’m absolutely astounded by this, as the G425 is the latest Ping iron and has received fantastic reviews….?

In answer to your question I’m considering new clubs as I’ve had my Cleveland’s for about 9 or 10 years

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
What made you think there would be a difference ?
Drivers, as a whole, we're truly upgraded 15-20 years ago, with the change to 460cc titanium.
But there has been no developmental improvement in irons since the Ping Eye 2 40 years ago. A huge amount of work has gone into colours and stripes on them though.
you are joking right??? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If yoúve got an itch it won’t go away without new clubs.

I think a lot of people do better than that to be fair and dont get sucked in. Everyone rationally knows its really only a charade, but despite that, get caught up in the clever marketing and manipulation, and almost cant help themselves even though they know they are being charmed. Its like the person who doesnt want to smoke, would do anything to be able to give up, but lights up the next cigarette anyway. At least the smoker doesnt wonder why their health hasnt improved after they smoke it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
you are joking right??? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

What improvement have there been ? Plastic inserts glued to the back ? A painted bottom groove ? 'Speed slots' ?
One of the best indicators of how it is only cosmetics and difference for difference sake to only try to give an illusion of development, is how many 'improvements' come, and then disappear with out trace two years later. If they really gave that extra distance, tighter dispersion, increased 'workability'/'feel' then they wouldnt be discarded. The likes of 'workability' and 'feel' are also a clever ploy - when struggling to justify the benefits of a club, invent a nebulous term, impossible to quantify, and charge more money for it to add the magic element of fake credibility.
Really - we can all talk golf gear speak, but at heart know there is nothing to back any of it up.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What evidence do you expect to see that would prove or disprove your theory?

Any scientifically sound data showing club A is better than club B. If it existed, there would be no need for the poetic sales blurb either. The results would speak for themselves.
A 'review' by some someone hiting 20 balls with half a dozen clubs and saying they preferred club X the best and it gets their gold star 2021 is not a review. It is just filler.
We all know the joke along the lines of if Taylormade/Ping/Titleist/Whoever added up the gains claimed for every improvement made for their gear over the years, we would all be hitting it 500 yards and within a 1 yd dispersion.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
My driver is 5 years old, I have a fitting on Monday booked to try out some new ones.

Whether I change or not will be down to the results.

Irons are also 5 years old, but I can’t see me changing them in the next 12 months.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
What improvement have there been ? Plastic inserts glued to the back ? A painted bottom groove ? 'Speed slots' ?
One of the best indicators of how it is only cosmetics and difference for difference sake to only try to give an illusion of development, is how many 'improvements' come, and then disappear with out trace two years later. If they really gave that extra distance, tighter dispersion, increased 'workability'/'feel' then they wouldnt be discarded. The likes of 'workability' and 'feel' are also a clever ploy - when struggling to justify the benefits of a club, invent a nebulous term, impossible to quantify, and charge more money for it to add the magic element of fake credibility.
Really - we can all talk golf gear speak, but at heart know there is nothing to back any of it up.

Absolute rubbish!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My driver is 5 years old, I have a fitting on Monday booked to try out some new ones.

Irons are also 5 years old, but I can’t see me changing them in the next 12 months.
What

So Stevie boy when are you changing your daughter, :love: time flies what age is she now ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Any scientifically sound data showing club A is better than club B. If it existed, there would be no need for the poetic sales blurb either. The results would speak for themselves.
A 'review' by some someone hiting 20 balls with half a dozen clubs and saying they preferred club X the best and it gets their gold star 2021 is not a review. It is just filler.
We all know the joke along the lines of if Taylormade/Ping/Titleist/Whoever added up the gains claimed for every improvement made for their gear over the years, we would all be hitting it 500 yards and within a 1 yd dispersion.

Perhaps we should all still be playing with hickory shafted mashies and niblicks, assuming your belief that clubs haven’t improved is true?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I started playing just over 20 years ago and started to get to a reasonable level about 15 years ago and I changed my irons pretty regularly, mainly due to my brother in law buying new clubs and then passing them to me at knock down price. I categorically tell you that clubs have improved in many ways over that 15 years. I am now 69 and can hit my Taylormade P790 7 iron 165 yards and a 5 iron about 195 which is further than I could 15 years ago.

It is not that I am fitter, and I definitely don't swing faster, but it is improvements in club technology without any doubt that has made the difference . Clubs do not get better year on year but 5 yearly improvements would certainly be the case I reckon.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Have the people who change their clubs regularly also seen improvements in their handicap? Not arguing one way or another most of my clubs are 13 years old now. I'm sure I could get clubs that would improve my game but I always seem to have something more important to spend the guts of grand on.