How often do people usually change clubs ?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been on a driver hunt this year, otherwise that would have been 3 year old. Everything else is 3-4 year old.
New everything before the new season starts. Cant wait for the fittings to start.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my swing speed distance isn't going to increase much ( another 10 wouldn't hurt though) but if you offered me 10 yards smaller dispersion I might be interested
I’m consistent with the driver, my delivered numbers barely change.
Just gone from Titleist TS2 (fitted by Titleist) to a Callaway Epic MAX LS. Gained 15yrd carry with the same numbers.
There are gains to be had even over a few models.

evemccc

Visit site
I’m consistent with the driver, my delivered numbers barely change.
Just gone from Titleist TS2 (fitted by Titleist) to a Callaway Epic MAX LS. Gained 15yrd carry with the same numbers.
There are gains to be had even over a few models.

I also got superb distance numbers (for me) with the LS MAX in my fitting. Still, I went with another OEM tho ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another interesting one from Crossfield here, it’s almost as though he’s been on the forum! As has been said, he hits it out the middle 9 times out of 10, but still very interesting nonetheless. It’s made me think about buy a high lofted g10 for the winter as I don’t get enough height out of my m2 which kills me in the winter. For £50 it’s a no lose situation.

Must admit, I am a bit of a tinker man when it comes to clubs.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'll go through my iron history quickly -

I started with Wilson Di9s in 2011 and they were great.

3 years later I was on holiday and had a rental set using Taylormade Rocketbladez, and they were just a bit better than what I had. So when I got home I tried out the Taylormade Speedblades and they were even better, so I bought them.

I had them from 2014 to 2019, and then got an itch for some actual blades. It was a dumb decision to replace them, but I think I just fancied a change so I purchased some new clubs.

The new clubs just didn't really work out for me and after a year, I ended buying Taylormade P770s.

I've just come off my best year of golf and whilst a lot of that is down to me practicing harder, I just don't think I would have been able to achieve this with my last irons.

So if you're not impressed with you current irons, you fancy a new set and you can afford it, it isn't always the worst thing to make a change.

D

Deleted member 1147

I change every 4-5 years
I changed my Titleist 716 CBs in 2020 for Mizuno MMCs.
My Titleist 917 driver will hopefully be changed ready for the new season
Wedges sometimes get changed after 2-3 years if they are well worn.

Fortunately I don't practice much, so my clubs don't get too much wear & tear.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
How often do people usually change clubs and what reason makes you change them ? I have the ping g425 and I’ve just never really been impressed with the irons, I do like the driver wood and hybrid but not really impressed with the irons. On my fitting it was that or Taylor made and I was hitting the ping stuff better but thinking already I would like a change.

Usually 5-6 years on average when the old bats are looking tired.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I'll go through my iron history quickly -

I started with Wilson Di9s in 2011 and they were great.

3 years later I was on holiday and had a rental set using Taylormade Rocketbladez, and they were just a bit better than what I had. So when I got home I tried out the Taylormade Speedblades and they were even better, so I bought them.

I had them from 2014 to 2019, and then got an itch for some actual blades. It was a dumb decision to replace them, but I think I just fancied a change so I purchased some new clubs.

The new clubs just didn't really work out for me and after a year, I ended buying Taylormade P770s.

I've just come off my best year of golf and whilst a lot of that is down to me practicing harder, I just don't think I would have been able to achieve this with my last irons.

So if you're not impressed with you current irons, you fancy a new set and you can afford it, it isn't always the worst thing to make a change.

I've had some P770's on order since Oct 11 :( - latest update is end of January.

G1z1

Visit site
I know a lot of people are complaining about waiting on irons, is that the same for all brands the now ? Now sure if i should wait for all the 2022 stuff to come out but I’m definitely getting rid of the ping g425 irons and wedges next year at the latest. Was practicing with them a lot today on the sim, I just don’t like how they feel.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a lot of people are complaining about waiting on irons, is that the same for all brands the now ? Now sure if i should wait for all the 2022 stuff to come out but I’m definitely getting rid of the ping g425 irons and wedges next year at the latest. Was practicing with them a lot today on the sim, I just don’t like how they feel.

What wedges do you have (what loft/bounce)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suspect all brands are struggling but some may still have stock of some products.
If, by chance, they have the heads, shafts and grips in stock then there's reason for them to push an order up the list.
But if Ping/TM etc are saying end of February then I doubt they have much left and what manufacturing space they have may be making new product rather than current.
For example...Mizuno may be making heads for the new 221/3/5 lines rather than JPX as they are promising end of Feb delivery....
Where this leaves buyers of JPX is another matter....I guess they will slot them in after the new launch.

G1z1

Visit site
What wedges do you have (what loft/bounce)
I am not sure what loft they are or bounce, have the PW, UW, SW and a 60 degree ping glide. I feel the 60 is just a waste of a club only ever use it in bunkers and could easily use any of my other wedges to get out most bunkers. So when I get fitted again think I’ll drop the 60

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I suspect all brands are struggling but some may still have stock of some products.
If, by chance, they have the heads, shafts and grips in stock then there's reason for them to push an order up the list.
But if Ping/TM etc are saying end of February then I doubt they have much left and what manufacturing space they have may be making new product rather than current.
For example...Mizuno may be making heads for the new 221/3/5 lines rather than JPX as they are promising end of Feb delivery....
Where this leaves buyers of JPX is another matter....I guess they will slot them in after the new launch.

It leaves the fitters leading everyone towards the new heads and not offering the JPX unless the customer is very pushy…

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
As is often the case though, he is a very good golfer, pro, and so hits it out of the middle over and over. One of the biggest advances, probably the big advance, is forgiveness. One sweet spot became 3, became 5, became 7 etc. The advance definitely help the amateur who hit it all over the face.

Isnt that marketing patter though, and what the manufacturers need you to believe? And as normal it is without any quantitative data from them.

One can equally say that the lesser golfer doesnt hit it as long, so even the small differences Crossfield experienced as an upper end striker will be even smaller for the shorter hitter. And that the lesser golfers issues, and why he is a poorer golfer in the first place, come from the really bad hits: slices, tops, quick hooks, etc, that no club is ever going to save.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I really wish you hadn't put that........mmmmm shineys :love: