How much is too much golf

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The real answer here is

As much as she allows you and by that I mean what you can play without peeing her off!

With a young child at home that care has to be split in a way that means both of you look after the kid almost equally. Both get time together and then time apart.

It gets easier as the child gets older though.
Is the correct answer? Also applies with no kids as well!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
God, reading through all these comments is putting me off having kids.... :ROFLMAO:

My wife moans at the frequency of my golf at the moment, I have no idea what it'll be like managing golf, a villa season ticket, fishing and a kid... so the wife may have to be cut loose...

sunshine

Visit site
God, reading through all these comments is putting me off having kids.... :ROFLMAO:

My wife moans at the frequency of my golf at the moment, I have no idea what it'll be like managing golf, a villa season ticket, fishing and a kid... so the wife may have to be cut loose...

You can easily combine all those hobbies with parenthood. All you have to do is quit your job and that will free up 35+ hours a week (y)

Maybe start buying a lottery ticket every week :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's alright give up the season ticket .. it's only villa ?

sunshine

Visit site
I have 3 girls and have settled into a regular routine of playing every other weekend, i.e. twice a month. Any more than that is a bonus, working from home for the last year has been a bonus.

It's frustrating, because my golf game goes backwards quite a lot in two weeks, but I've learned to accept the gradual deterioration of my swing over the last 15 years. In about 3 years I'm hoping to start playing a bit more as the kids should have their own weekend hobbies by then.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Life is a balance, obvious comment. Ask her what she thinks is reasonable as a starting point. What hobbies does she have and can she do them?

When our kids were young I used to get up very early and have 9 holes on the way to work. Very fortunate and not practical for some. Does she take the child to her parents? If so could this be a time for 9 holes?

If you can manage 2 Comps . a month I would be happy

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One round of a weekend (timing as determined by your wife and not your wishes I'm afraid); one round of a summer evening - so twice a week max - and maybe a few holes or practice ground a couple of times a week summer evenings after your little un is settled.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Is there too much golf?

When we got married and my wife moved to the UK for the first time, I didn't feel it right that I should disappear at weekends to play golf, so pretty much gave up, that extended when our lad was born, until he was 8. After about 11 years out in tota, I started playing again, he started walking round with me with a wedge and a putter, playing in from about 30 50 yards, played most weekends late in the day. He soon joined as a junior member, and after a couple of years, mrs wedge took up the game too. He's nearly 21, doing a degree in professional golf based at Dornoch (when not covid restricted). Mrs wedge and myself play golf both days at the weekend more often than not, I play in a swindle once a month. I play 2 or 3 evenings a week after work (finish 15:30), except for the last year. Because I'm working at home, if covid restrictions allow, I can play every evening pretty much, played 9 holes for my daily walk. Have no issues with how many days I'm on the course, if she's working, I can play, if she's not working, we both play :D. This year even better, as the company have now given us Friday afternoons off, so I can play earlier.

Doesn't help you though..... you'll have to work out the balance between you.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently having a “debate” with the wife about how much golf is too much. We have an 18 month old daughter, I work full time and the wife works 4 days a week.

Our expectations don’t currently align with how much golf is reasonable, so what do you think is a reasonable amount of golf to be playing?
Whatever she decides (y)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I've got a 4yo and 6yo twins so a few years ago there wasn't an awful lot of golf. It gets easier every year, one round a week on average and two is a bonus. When you can get round in the summer and still start at 7pm that's my peak golfing period.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Its a difficult balancing act and everyone has different options and feelings about what is right. But the kids are only young once and they grow up fast, and my focus was on spending time with them. I'd pretty much given up golf before they were born anyway so I didn't have the problem when only playing a few times a year. But I did play football on Sunday mornings which stopped when I moved to an area that played afternoons and needed more travelling.
I've taken golf back up again recently and looking to play more often. My two are now 11 and 13. Both play football Saturday mornings and I coach the youngest's team so can't play then. Even if I wasn't I'd be watching them play.
We try to keep Sundays free to do something together as a family.

The eldest is now at that age where she wants to be out with her mates rather than with us. The youngest is fast approaching the same. He does however have an interest in playing golf so there is hope there.

I'm looking at playing Saturday afternoons when the kids are out with their mates after football, and Thursday evenings instead of 5 aside during the summer. Plus a couple of times either at the range or nine holes with the boy.
I'll accept that playing more regularly during the winter will be difficult and take what I can get.

Its also made easier with working from home. As we see a lot more of each other so there is less pressure on the free times at weekends.

With new and young kids, it can be hard looking after them. Mums (yes its mostly mums before someone calls me sexist) are essentially on 24 hour shifts and are generally exhausted. Its not always looked upon favourably for the other half to disappear for most of the day on a weekend leaving one parent to look after the kids again. And its hard to enjoy a round when you know you have a miserable partner to go home to.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
9 holes i find is the key to balancing the whole situation

9 holes can be played after work in the summer and for me before work before a late no problem

Gets me a golf fix without taking too much time for weeks I can't get 18 in

Some weeks 2 X 9 holes will keep me going just right for a few weeks time

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your dilemma is why the average age in golf clubs is quite old.
It’s a fine line you must walk with other commitments.
Kids come first ,wife second ,golf last.
Find out from hid what she thinks is right that’s your low mark to argue it up.
2/3 times a week in summer is needed to justify your membership.
Good luck you might need it.
If you lose the fight counselling is avaliable on the forum.:)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A big part of it depends on your flexibility and other commitments and that's why there's no right answer that fits everyone.

Pre-COVID I worked in London 4 days a week with over an hour commute and one day from home. It was very hard to justify playing much golf at the weekend given the impact it had on family life (2 young children) and the extra burden being out for 5 hours put on my wife. I could play maybe twice a month with an early Saturday morning tee off so I was home by late morning.

Last summer I was able to play a fair bit more as I could play weekday evenings around work commitments, and there was less pressure on me playing Saturday or Sunday morning as we had so much more family time in the week.

My job is quite flexible, but it's still in the 9 - 5 category predominantly. Those that have a more flexible job (e.g. start early finish early, or vice versa) will have a better chance of fitting in more midweek golf than I do.

When it comes down to it, I think we all know what is fair and reasonable in our own circumstances and what starts to take the mickey a bit and put too much of a burden on our other half.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I try to get 1-2 rounds a week. My kids are 12 & 14 plus the 12 year old plays so I get some Father/Son time in. Plus doing shifts mean that most of the week they are at school and the wife's at work so I play then.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is genuinely one of the major reasons I'm divorced and single, golf has always been, and will always be, more important than any woman. As soon as there's been a hint of a conflict, they've been on their way out the door. Obviously I can see it would be different with kids.

I can't imagine the marriage success rate is high for full-time pro golfers, especially those on the fringes and just about eeking out a living, must be very tough.

I dunno, Tiger seemed to really enjoy married life, until he got caught....;)