How much is too much golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This is genuinely one of the major reasons I'm divorced and single, golf has always been, and will always be, more important than any woman. As soon as there's been a hint of a conflict, they've been on their way out the door. Obviously I can see it would be different with kids.

I can't imagine the marriage success rate is high for full-time pro golfers, especially those on the fringes and just about eeking out a living, must be very tough.

Class Tram... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: look forward to meeting the man behind the posts at a GM meet one day :ROFLMAO:

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 4 year old lad. My wife agrees (lets!) me play once a week; mainly Sunday morning in the Sunday Swindle at our club. I know she isn't too happy about it but I need the exercise (I'm overweight) and also need to get out and play some sort of sport. I have been sporty all my life and put on shed loads of weight in my 30s, so need to keep semi active! I don't know what will happen if my young lad wants to take up sport himself when he gets to that age - if it clashes with the golf - the golf will sadly have to go. I am currently trying to brainwash him into wanting to play golf; he can hit a ball with something resembling a swing, but I'm not sure the indoctrination will be successful :p

I feel really selfish wanting to play golf and hoping his interests don't clash as I love the game, and I think I will struggle mentally if I don't get a chance to play weekly. Maybe watching him play some sort of sport will help fill the gap :unsure:

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is genuinely one of the major reasons I'm divorced and single, golf has always been, and will always be, more important than any woman. As soon as there's been a hint of a conflict, they've been on their way out the door. Obviously I can see it would be different with kids.

I can't imagine the marriage success rate is high for full-time pro golfers, especially those on the fringes and just about eeking out a living, must be very tough.

I didn't see this post before I posted my reply, but this is my kinda thoughts too - although I would had to put my boys needs before me and try and work around his commitments, if he was to become sporty etc.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Wow you’re missing out on a lot for playing golf but fair play if your more happy that way. ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh yeah for sure, there's definitely pros and cons. Of course sometimes I think it would have been great to have a normal family, but we're all wired differently and things just are the way they are.

It's bonkers, guys I went to school with love the freedom I have but I also love their family life ?‍♂️

I wouldn't swap though.

Hopefully you’ll find a wife that loves golf as much as you ?

I remember playing in a senior open and we were paired with a member actually played with him 2 years running , anyway he told me he played 5 times a week and goes out with the lady captain, we don’t live together he said but I go round for my meals?. He was a great bloke and seemed very happy with his life.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

Love the honesty!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, we were both renting separate AirBnb apartments from the same golf-loving landlord and all went out to play golf together one day. So nice and spontaneous ?

I was joking ?

Nice story. The Japanese go mad for their golf, so into it. Funny way of calculating a handicap though, I’ve played with a few 3s who missed a 2 in front of that ? But always good etiquette / respectful company . And they say stereotypes don’t work ??

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I've got a 3 year old, wife, mortgage, 9-5 etc although I work from home quite a lot and even more so now.

In the summer I try to play twice a week, once at the weekend and once midweek. On the odd occasion I might sneak another 9 in on say a Monday if possible. I never play both days at the weekend, always one or the other to ensure one of the days is spent with the family. I think that's a nice balance for me which allows me to play regularly enough to improve over time and spend some proper time with the family. I've got some friends who are more or less in the same position as me but yet they never seem to have any time or are dare I say it, aren't allowed to play more than say once or twice a month. If you're forking out £1000+ to be a member of a club you need to play at least twice a week to get your moneys worth and fortunately for me my other half understands that.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your very lucky to get away with that much golf ;) Can understand why your mates are not allowed to play more.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't have kids yet, it's on the horizon for this year hopefully. Even now I only play once or twice a week. Ignoring lockdowns of course, I would generally play every Saturday, plus in the summer we might have a couple of mid-week days off work to play at some other courses, or Thursday/Friday night I'd nip down the course for 9 holes. Once kids come along I may have to cut down - I'd be hoping to still be able to play once a week, but I recognise it might be less than that, might have to settle for every other week, I don't know. I suppose it depends if I can make compromises elsewhere, since I have other commitments as well such as football. Still, one of the other lads from our football team has a few kids and still plays football about 4 times a week, not sure how he gets away with that.

RichA

Visit site
...one of the other lads from our football team has a few kids and still plays football about 4 times a week, not sure how he gets away with that.
Probably by telling his other half, "It could be worse. At least I don't spend 8 hours a week and thousands of pounds a year playing golf."

eddie_1878

Visit site
I went from three rounds a week to about one a month when my girl arrived. She’s 8 now and golf still comes second.

The golf can wait, nobody believes it until it happens to you but kids grow up fast and those early years are more fun than golf.

The second she’s a moody teenager I’ll be back to three times a week. ?

Make it 6....you’ll thank me later!