How much is too much golf

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently having a “debate” with the wife about how much golf is too much. We have an 18 month old daughter, I work full time and the wife works 4 days a week.

Our expectations don’t currently align with how much golf is reasonable, so what do you think is a reasonable amount of golf to be playing?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry but brain doesn’t compute ?! Too much golf ! Didn’t think there ever was such a thing ?

as for what’s reasonable with your family it will be between you two

We have a four year old - and we just make sure we both spend lots of time with her - I play both days at the weekend but also make sure there are lots of family time

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That’s a hard question to answer and you probably won’t get the answer you want ?. If you could get away with playing 2/3 times a month that would be a result.

I’m glad I never took up golf until my kids were teenagers as I would play 3/4 times a week when I first started and I’m still like that 30 years later.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a job that meant I could play during the week.

When the children were young we came to an agreement that I played golf anytime I wanted to during the week and I played one Saturday a month in the medal.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just be happy to play any golf.

I play most of my golf midweek on my days off and when soon is at school so I fit in school run round my golf to earn brownie points.

One game at max at weekends (shift rota permitting, so not every weekend) and I make sure that is in a comp. No comp, no golf is my rule as I don't want to take the piss. Son is 7 now and was getting lessons before all this madness kicked off so hopefully he will get back to it shortly and with luck play with his dad in years to come.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently having a “debate” with the wife about how much golf is too much. We have an 18 month old daughter, I work full time and the wife works 4 days a week.

Our expectations don’t currently align with how much golf is reasonable, so what do you think is a reasonable amount of golf to be playing?

Similar position to yourself

My wife (when she gets back from maternity) works 3 days a week

I work full time

We have a 3 year old and Twin 7 month olds

My roster gives me random days off..and I can play before shifts

So we agreed twice a week max, with leave the house after she leaves for school run at half 8 and home by kids tee time at 4.. no Fridays or weekends as eldest has half day Fridays and weekends is family time

If I have a month where I can play every week I do once a week

Id say average 4 times a month

Which considering ages I think is very good

When she returns to work will depends when my mum's can do childcare . But we can't keep her away from the twins

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Have this conversation A LOT with my wife too. We've got two kids, who are 4 & 7 this year, I work full time and have a 2nd job (mobile disco business) and she works part time.

Having my 'me time' is essential and I can generally get out once per week, but being a member has certainly given me freedom that I can play 9, get my fix and go home.

I find it's harder to get a good balance if the other half doesn't have a hobby of their own as they just don't understand it. At least in my experience anyway.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Timing is also something to consider.

With young children it might be prudent to get out early on a Saturday for example then you can be home to do whatever you want to do as a family.

In the height of the summer you can play after the child is in bed. 9 or so holes as its light till after 10.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm about to enter this quandary myself with my firstborn due in June. I might be pi**ing in the wind but I'm hoping i can still get about 6 round a month in ?.

I finish at lunch on Fridays so I usually get a round in then and don't envisage that changing. Then I realise that I'll be limited at weekends and it will probably only be either an early morning round or if the missus has plans with her mates that include the baby and I can sneak out.

To be fair the missus has always encouraged me to get out if I can - shes the one who has to deal with me when I've had cabin fever from being cooped up.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m aiming for 1 round on a weekend 3 times a month, with an early morning tee time. This means I’m back home just after lunch for family activities, plus the whole of the other day.

I can do the driving range in the week during lunch hours, so that ticks that box.

I don’t think that is unreasonable

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me, then every situation is unique especially regards family support etc. But as a simple equation you do 8/9 hours more work than she does so unless she wants to up her game you’ve got 3 rounds to play with ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me, then every situation is unique especially regards family support etc. But as a simple equation you do 8/9 hours more work than she does so unless she wants to up her game you’ve got 3 rounds to play with ?

Ha, I’d be playing no golf if I said that to her! She may officially work part time, but she doesn’t stop until 9 at night most nights.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You know when your taking the mick. You can ask others what they think, but its a very personal question and everyone is different as is their circumstances. I know people who gave up the game for years due to having kids and others who probably play more now with kids than they ever did before having a family!

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've got a 4 year old and both of us work full time so pre covid I was lucky if I played once at the weekend. I tended to do most of the nursery pick ups too as I have flexi time and my wife doesn't get home until 6.

That's all changed since covid as I'm working from home at least 3 days a week so I plan on playing once in the week and once at weekends. If I finally join one of the clubs within a mile radius, I may even squeeze in a few 9 holes a couple of times a week.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Management has restricted me to twice a week. Although there is a clause where I can apply for special permission if necessary. I am talking about the golf, by the way. These club rules are never written down or expressed verbally with any clarity - so it is a tricky game to navigate.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The real answer here is

As much as she allows you and by that I mean what you can play without peeing her off!

With a young child at home that care has to be split in a way that means both of you look after the kid almost equally. Both get time together and then time apart.

It gets easier as the child gets older though.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went from three rounds a week to about one a month when my girl arrived. She’s 8 now and golf still comes second.

The golf can wait, nobody believes it until it happens to you but kids grow up fast and those early years are more fun than golf.

The second she’s a moody teenager I’ll be back to three times a week. ?