How much is too much golf

D

Deleted member 21258

Use to manage about once a week at that stage in life, just to many things going on to have managed more.

As much as life/wife allows you:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently having a “debate” with the wife about how much golf is too much. We have an 18 month old daughter, I work full time and the wife works 4 days a week.

Our expectations don’t currently align with how much golf is reasonable, so what do you think is a reasonable amount of golf to be playing?
I'm still curious - when are you going to reveal to us the numbers each of you had in mind? :D

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Currently having a “debate” with the wife about how much golf is too much. We have an 18 month old daughter, I work full time and the wife works 4 days a week.

Our expectations don’t currently align with how much golf is reasonable, so what do you think is a reasonable amount of golf to be playing?
What any of us think is reasonable is not the issue. It is a matter for you 'n 'er only in the end. I'm only guessing at your ages, but I pretty much stopped playing in my twenties. The time and the money were better spent on other things for a few years. I don't regret my choice. I used to scrounge the odd invitation as a guest green fee each year and I still played football every Saturday morning. As the football came to an end, I started serious golf again in my thirties and achieved the lowest handicap of my career at the age of 44. Golf can offer you plenty of enjoyment in the years ahead, but kids can offer you something much more that that right now. If you can play once a week without any problems - you are very lucky and enjoy.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm still curious - when are you going to reveal to us the numbers each of you had in mind? :D

It has been interesting reading the replies, and fully understand that each situation is unique so there is no "one size fits all" to this situation.

I was pushing for playing 3 weekends out of 4 in a month, on either day and teeing off early so as to keep the disruption to a minimum and we can still do family stuff in the afternoon of the day I play golf. If I can get a mid-week evening round or 9 holes in that would be a bonus. I can do the driving range at lunchtime, as there is one close to the office so that wouldnt effect anything.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has been interesting reading the replies, and fully understand that each situation is unique so there is no "one size fits all" to this situation.

I was pushing for playing 3 weekends out of 4 in a month, on either day and teeing off early so as to keep the disruption to a minimum and we can still do family stuff in the afternoon of the day I play golf. If I can get a mid-week evening round or 9 holes in that would be a bonus. I can do the driving range at lunchtime, as there is one close to the office so that wouldnt effect anything.
..and she wants you to give up golf altogether? :LOL:

Personally I'd be disappointed if I couldn't play at least the amount you've said, particularly as it wouldn't even be worth having a membership if you play less so I'd be having to give that up as well. But of course your wife's views are important.. I guess.. maybe.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
It takes 2 to make a child so 2 should share the caring , however could you not reach an agreement with the wife along the lines of for every round i get you get some time to do something you like ?
Its all about compromise but when the child comes along its a wonderful change ( until they learn to say no:rolleyes: ) there is so much you will get to see as they develop that only happens once , the course
will always be there, first steps and such are just that, then consigned to memories whereas a round of golf is just that , a round of golf ,can be replayed again and again

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It takes 2 to make a child so 2 should share the caring , however could you not reach an agreement with the wife along the lines of for every round i get you get some time to do something you like ?
Its all about compromise but when the child comes along its a wonderful change ( until they learn to say no:rolleyes: ) there is so much you will get to see as they develop that only happens once , the course
will always be there, first steps and such are just that, then consigned to memories whereas a round of golf is just that , a round of golf ,can be replayed again and again

I definitely dont want to miss out on anything with my daughter growing up, those are memories you only get to make once.

I'm just after a compromise, but the wife seems to think that because I want to play some golf I dnt want to spend any family time

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me, the difficulty has tended to be that the times I end up playing golf clashes with the main 'family time'. Not being a member of a club and working until 4/5pm on weekdays, I've been limited to weekend afternoons. This then means we're then quite limited to what we can do before or after on this days.

Things like the gym or football probably take up the same amount of time each week but it was always much more of a convenient time and it was split up into 1 or 2 hours chunks.

I'm looking at membership now so I can nip out and play 9 holes alone more often instead of feeling like I need to play the full 18 to get my moneys worth.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't have kids yet, it's on the horizon for this year hopefully. Even now I only play once or twice a week. Ignoring lockdowns of course, I would generally play every Saturday, plus in the summer we might have a couple of mid-week days off work to play at some other courses, or Thursday/Friday night I'd nip down the course for 9 holes. Once kids come along I may have to cut down - I'd be hoping to still be able to play once a week, but I recognise it might be less than that, might have to settle for every other week, I don't know. I suppose it depends if I can make compromises elsewhere, since I have other commitments as well such as football. Still, one of the other lads from our football team has a few kids and still plays football about 4 times a week, not sure how he gets away with that.

I know a few guys who just don't tell the wife the roster and they don't know when their off so just head the golf course

I couldn't live like that

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wife has never moaned about it TBF, even when the kids were young, I got out once a week.

I never took the mick when they were little I’d be on the course at 8 and back home by 1, and she got 5 hours to do what she wanted to do, when I looked after the kids.

I gave up other things to keep playing golf weekly, l’m happy with the lifestyle choices I made.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a few guys who just don't tell the wife the roster and they don't know when their off so just head the golf course

I couldn't live like that
Yeah, joking aside I think it's a bit strong to actually lie to your wife to get out on the course. Should be some kind of middle ground before taking that approach!

Like this...
My wife has never moaned about it TBF, even when the kids were young, I got out once a week.

I never took the mick when they were little I’d be on the course at 8 and back home by 1, and she got 5 hours to do what she wanted to do, when I looked after the kids.

I gave up other things to keep playing golf weekly, l’m happy with the lifestyle choices I made.
That's exactly what I'll be hoping for, bit of give and take, if I can keep a weekly game, she can have some time to herself each week as well. (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, joking aside I think it's a bit strong to actually lie to your wife to get out on the course. Should be some kind of middle ground before taking that approach!

Like this...

That's exactly what I'll be hoping for, bit of give and take, if I can keep a weekly game, she can have some time to herself each week as well. (y)

That's what we do

Eldest is 3. Starts pre school 9am
Finishes at 15:00

She can do all of that until 16:00 (dinner) alone with the twins aswell (7months Sunday)

So I can play Monday - Thursday between those times

Obviously work she can cope longer .. and has help but if it's golf we won't get my mum round so I can play (unless Mrs is working and she offers!)

Tuesday for example tee time 10:26. Late shift starts 14:00

12:40 latest back to car .. more than enough time for 9 holes and a late

Need to find Mrs a hobby tho

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I definitely dont want to miss out on anything with my daughter growing up, those are memories you only get to make once.

I'm just after a compromise, but the wife seems to think that because I want to play some golf I dnt want to spend any family time

I think your spot on there , its great you see the need for compromise i hope she see's your not wanting to duck out of family time it is a precious thing especially
when they are so young . Hope you both get a favorable outcome.

sunshine

Visit site
Still, one of the other lads from our football team has a few kids and still plays football about 4 times a week, not sure how he gets away with that.

Maybe it's got something to do with the status of football in society? Pretty standard stereotype that all men like football, and it's really really important in the news and other media, therefore his wife accepts it. My wife grew up with football in her house, and has a passing interest in it, it's probably engrained in her that football is socially acceptable.

Maybe it's just practical: Football obviously takes a lot less time than golf, but if he's playing in the evening it's probably after his kids have gone to bed, so less controversial. I've played footy once a week at 9:00pm or 9:30pm since I met my wife, and she's never really challenged it. Golf, on the other hand, is a constant battle.

Visit site
Always been an issue in relationships for me, and is exacerbated if your partner doesn’t have a hobby. I got such grief about playing golf that I didn’t even enjoy the time I did get to spend on the golf course, frankly it wasn’t worth the fire and fury.

This graph always makes me laugh ? you can literally see the exact round of golf where I became a single man and was able to enjoy my golf, and play twice a week ?

0AA5F6CC-F4F9-4227-9A54-B7380C7043BD.jpeg