Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 14 % plus

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
5.1% at mine.

On a separate but related note: Some of you guys have very cheap membership! Mine is just over £1000 now and it's by no means an exclusive club. In fact, it's the cheapest private club in the area.

For those paying £600 or less, are these 18 hole courses? Do you have an age-related reduction?
Same issue here. Mine is 1200 and that IS the reduced rate for 30-39 year olds. And it's the cheapest around in that respect, as all the other nearby clubs stop their age reductions at 35 (and I am 35 so didn't want to take a cheaper rate for one year only for it to then shoot up).

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
5.1% at mine.

On a separate but related note: Some of you guys have very cheap membership! Mine is just over £1000 now and it's by no means an exclusive club. In fact, it's the cheapest private club in the area.

For those paying £600 or less, are these 18 hole courses? Do you have an age-related reduction?

Im on the intermediate rate as im under 30 - so yes reduced fees.

Full adult is still only £575 though.

18 hole course - I think Midlands courses just seem a bit cheaper!

Mandofred

Visit site
My old course went up from a little over £1100 to about £1250....but with a stupid £50 bar tab stuck in....
My old/new course went from £895 to about £940....fair enough.
New course (paying tomorrow I hope)...stays at £1200.

What to make of this....Most going up, but not all. I still think there is going to be a membership departure over the next year with increased "living" costs.....£1000+ extra cost for things is going to be a killer for some people.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My old course went up from a little over £1100 to about £1250....but with a stupid £50 bar tab stuck in....
My old/new course went from £895 to about £940....fair enough.
New course (paying tomorrow I hope)...stays at £1200.

What to make of this....Most going up, but not all. I still think there is going to be a membership departure over the next year with increased "living" costs.....£1000+ extra cost for things is going to be a killer for some people.

I'm split on bar levys. We use to have one. Myself and most of my usual partners always go into the bar for a drink or something to eat so it made odds to us as we'd use it. However there were guys that over 12 months wouldn't have spent it. They would then either rush up and try and buy bottles of wine (which then depleted our stocks - and they would get the hump if the steward said no as we'd have a society or function booked and so needed it for that) or not spend it at all

Now I totally understand the whole time vs family commitment argument but surely within 12 months there would be the opportunity to spend it. It's only £1 a week.

It was actually a reasonable additional line of income to the club as it deferred back to the club if it wasn't spent in the 12 month period (T&C's clearly laid out on the website and in the annual renewal packs)

Barking_Mad

Visit site
When I started playing properly 4 years ago there were times when £20 for a round was almost breaking the bank and there was no way I could afford to pay for membership, even though I quite liked the variety of playing different places.

Financially (and only financially) Covid was great for me. Wiped out my overdraft and now in a position of joining my local club. £1030 at present, not sure what the increase might be. I doubt any will stop me, but I don't drink, smoke or spend much money, so golf is a fair swap.

I really feel for those who are struggling. I'm certainly not well off now, but there were times Id be paid at work and have £50 to last me the entire month, food included and the bank charging me for being over my overdraft. Fun times ?

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm split on bar levys. We use to have one. Myself and most of my usual partners always go into the bar for a drink or something to eat so it made odds to us as we'd use it. However there were guys that over 12 months wouldn't have spent it. They would then either rush up and try and buy bottles of wine (which then depleted our stocks - and they would get the hump if the steward said no as we'd have a society or function booked and so needed it for that) or not spend it at all

Now I totally understand the whole time vs family commitment argument but surely within 12 months there would be the opportunity to spend it. It's only £1 a week.

It was actually a reasonable additional line of income to the club as it deferred back to the club if it wasn't spent in the 12 month period (T&C's clearly laid out on the website and in the annual renewal packs)
Oh....I can understand the money being spent quite easily......it's something I know that I would use. I just don't like the fact that you don't have a choice. It's one of the things I don't like about the club I'm leaving....they never tell you what is going to happen and keep people in the dark about pretty well everything. I guess it's one of those things where it's easier to just do something.....and then apologize later if the crap hits the fan (they never apologize).

HeftyHacker

Visit site

I can easily see how it isn't spent tbf. I put £40 quid on my bar card when I first joined my club back in November 2020 and I've still not used it all.

For me my home club is somewhere I go for a post work round (after which the bar is generally shut) or the occasional weekend comp, after which I generally need to get home due to the longer round times.

I'm far more inclined to have a pint at an away course when I'm making a day of it.

I'm the worst kind of member ?.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If it makes you all feel any better, current green fees at my local course for 2 players with a buggy - 228 euros

If I feel like splashing out and playing Las Colinas, it's 280 euros.

sunshine

Visit site
If it makes you all feel any better, current green fees at my local course for 2 players with a buggy - 228 euros

If I feel like splashing out and playing Las Colinas, it's 280 euros.

With the increase in fuel costs it's 200 for the buggy and 28 for the green fee. Maybe walk instead of ride? ;)

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
still waiting for ours as it starts May now. Not looking forward to it. Also joined another local (slightly less so) course on a credits scheme that should get 14 weekend games. Going to probably do both for a year and then make a call. The new course fees are circa 8% or more higher in the new year (April) than last - and will be going up similar amounts for next 2 years to get to their desired level - it was good that they told me so i know what to expect

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can easily see how it isn't spent tbf. I put £40 quid on my bar card when I first joined my club back in November 2020 and I've still not used it all.

For me my home club is somewhere I go for a post work round (after which the bar is generally shut) or the occasional weekend comp, after which I generally need to get home due to the longer round times.

I'm far more inclined to have a pint at an away course when I'm making a day of it.

I'm the worst kind of member ?.
Or the best!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
still waiting for ours as it starts May now. Not looking forward to it. Also joined another local (slightly less so) course on a credits scheme that should get 14 weekend games. Going to probably do both for a year and then make a call. The new course fees are circa 8% or more higher in the new year (April) than last - and will be going up similar amounts for next 2 years to get to their desired level - it was good that they told me so i know what to expect
Joining the 'inland links' ?

Not sure if ours went up, but from memory, renewal was November, and they were around £1600 which I think is good value. Trouble is a lot of other golfers do as well, so our membership has shot up.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£20 up to £1100. Lots of work planned - bunkers, paths, drainage, etc and also getting course measured for winter layout so looking good

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Proposal to increase 10% this year. We've had a new state of the art irrigation system put in, need a new roof on the clubhouse and are having all the bunkers rebuilt (and there are a lot of them). There are also proposals to remove many of the age related discounts. This has to be agreed by a vote at the AGM and will probably get accepted.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Joining the 'inland links' ?

Not sure if ours went up, but from memory, renewal was November, and they were around £1600 which I think is good value. Trouble is a lot of other golfers do as well, so our membership has shot up.

They might have to ration access for the seniours and retired!! ?