How many 'Acceptable scores for H/cap' have you played this past season'?

Golfloveruk

Visit site
If people are throwing in enough competition cards then I really don’t see the need to bang in GP scores unless you are trying to fiddle / boost your HC

Would be interesting to see peoples average scores during their comp rounds vs gp rounds.

You shouldn’t be scoring more in GP rounds in my opinion 👀
Whereas people not putting GP scores in could be considered as either protecting their HI from going down or deliberately maintaining a vanity cap.

I’ve got more than double the number of GP rounds than comp rounds. I put cards in almost every time I play with another person if I know I’m going to finish in the light. No matter where I’m playing or what the weather it. I play to the rules because I want to shoot the best score I can every time I play.

I would argue my HI is more accurate than someone who picks and chooses which scores they are going to enter, or only enters comp scores.

All the guff about playing swindles with gimmies is just excuses for people wanting to protect their index in my opinion.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I keep reading about "getting their handicaps up", yet the soft cap and hard cap should limit increases. Are they not in effect or not effective?
I know that I've been in the soft cap range periodically.
I have been in soft cap range a couple of times and very almost at hard cap this April (not played since) so my low index will now have changed anyway.
Declining golfer with a lot of injuries. I was putting in regular GP cards following a serious accident so my H.I went up fairly swiftly. In an earlier year I may have requested an handicap review but just decided to let the WHS do it's job.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
If people are throwing in enough competition cards then I really don’t see the need to bang in GP scores unless you are trying to fiddle / boost your HC

Would be interesting to see peoples average scores during their comp rounds vs gp rounds.

You shouldn’t be scoring more in GP rounds in my opinion 👀
That Comp rounds v GP rounds report is available to your handicap secretary / committee and is probably what EG use when balloting for Elite events (but that’s a whole new discussion).

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Whereas people not putting GP scores in could be considered as either protecting their HI from going down or deliberately maintaining a vanity cap.

I’ve got more than double the number of GP rounds than comp rounds. I put cards in almost every time I play with another person if I know I’m going to finish in the light. No matter where I’m playing or what the weather it. I play to the rules because I want to shoot the best score I can every time I play.

I would argue my HI is more accurate than someone who picks and chooses which scores they are going to enter, or only enters comp scores.

All the guff about playing swindles with gimmies is just excuses for people wanting to protect their index in my opinion.

When digging I’m always bemused as to how some people score a lot better during comp rounds compared to the GP rounds they have submitted, especially when I know they are chasing OM points, board comps etc.

For record our competition tees are much more difficult than GP tees.

One person in fact has been rumbled to the point where the secretary has limited a chap to posting only 1 GP card in per month which has to be authorised pre round through our secretary.

This has created some well justified banter around our club.

That Comp rounds v GP rounds report is available to your handicap secretary / committee and is probably what EG use when balloting for Elite events (but that’s a whole new discussion).

Correct. And he has put that report to good use and pretty much banned people from posting GP cards.

He was leading our order of merit by a considerable amount so the secretary did some research and his report found his GP scores average were worse than his comp scores average.

hence why I don’t understand why some people feel the need to put in GP rounds if they play enough competition rounds 👀

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When digging I’m always bemused as to how some people score a lot better during comp rounds compared to the GP rounds they have submitted, especially when I know they are chasing OM points, board comps etc.

For record our competition tees are much more difficult than GP tees.

One person in fact has been rumbled to the point where the secretary has limited a chap to posting only 1 GP card in per month which has to be authorised pre round through our secretary.

This has created some well justified banter around our club.

Correct. And he has put that report to good use and pretty much banned people from posting GP cards.

He was leading our order of merit by a considerable amount so the secretary did some research and his report found his GP scores average were worse than his comp scores average.

hence why I don’t understand why some people feel the need to put in GP rounds if they play enough competition rounds 👀
I'm not sure this should be happening as it's completely at odds with the intention of WHS. If people are putting a lot of GP cards in, it's because we've been told to.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When does the season start?
Since April:
24 comp cards
1 GP card
current HI: 15.9

Of more interest is the distribution of scores - the standard deviation of my score differentials is 3.76 :eek:
My WHS results graph looks like the Himalayas!
Think I may be the world's most inconsistent golfer.

I play a lot of social golf, but it's usually fourball matchplay, so no GP cards for them.

PS. Regarding Tashy's use of the word "rammel". I always thought it meant much the same as "pants". Does that make sense?