How many 'Acceptable scores for H/cap' have you played this past season'?

Springveldt

Visit site
Since the 1st April this year.

1. 3.0
2. 28
3. 6 (3 at home course, 3 at away courses).

Easily the most GP cards I’ve put in in a season since the start of WHS, it’s usually 0 or 1.
Just thinking about this 2 of my 3 GP cards from my home course have actually been entered while I was playing in the member run sweep, so I'm not sure if I should have those as competition rounds. It's not a club run competition but at the same time I'm still playing in a competition. 1 of the away cards was in an Open at my brothers course back up in Scotland where the scores had to be entered into HowDidIDo on the terminal in the clubhouse so I guess that should have been a competition round instead.

So really only 3 GP cards so far I think.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
last year was my lowest ever scores entry, i think i did 12 comps and no GP, id usually do 20 to 30. but changed to the club starts on Saturday saw me miss the roll up medals entirely. this yeas id done much better played to up to July, but injury has seen me play no games at all since mid July. so this year will be a new low of only 10 comp cards. handicap has gone from 3.8 to 4.2 mainly down to lack of play. from 4 games a week to one this year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming you mean summer by season (no such thing where I play)

None, I have not even played since easter.

In a normal year I put around 30 cards with about 5 or 6 GP cards

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I find interesting is a lot of people don't enter general play cards, however all the other threads are full of "cheaters charter" and "bandits" but if people put in cards their handicap would likely be more accurate (up or down) and the extra shots would come into play giving more chances in comps no?

Isn't that the whole idea of whs being more about form .. but If you don't record your form it's just maintaining an old handicap

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I find interesting is a lot of people don't enter general play cards, however all the other threads are full of "cheaters charter" and "bandits" but if people put in cards their handicap would likely be more accurate (up or down) and the extra shots would come into play giving more chances in comps no?

Isn't that the whole idea of whs being more about form .. but If you don't record your form it's just maintaining an old handicap
It's easy to remember.

People who don't put in any GP cards - their handicap is inaccurate, not up-to-date and thus subject to banditry.

People who put in plenty of GP cards - they're sandbaggers, boosting their handicap up in the interests of banditry.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I keep reading about "getting their handicaps up", yet the soft cap and hard cap should limit increases. Are they not in effect or not effective?
I know that I've been in the soft cap range periodically.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

It’s called balance and a middle ground

People not putting in cards all the time are prob playing in swindles where there are gimmies and playing 4BBB matchplay where their scores are not acceptable for GP

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s called balance and a middle ground

People not putting in cards all the time are prob playing in swindles where there are gimmies and playing 4BBB matchplay where their scores are not acceptable for GP

Appreciate middle ground but there are some with 0 GP and not a lot comps

Surely a monthly GP would give a better reflection or are people worried about going up?

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
90 cards.
As far as I'm concerned they're all competition cards as I'm always playing against someone, always played to the rules and I'm always trying my best so I make no distinction.
Plus I can't be bothered to go though them all....
This.

For me it's
16 comps
40 general play cards.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1: 17.7 (not playing enough to stop it climbing due to illness, life, work.
2: 9 (my club has qualifiers all year round and hardly any weekend without something down as a Q) Again, not payed enough
3: 0. Dont putting them in as enough weekend comps going on to have no need.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
If people are throwing in enough competition cards then I really don’t see the need to bang in GP scores unless you are trying to fiddle / boost your HC

Would be interesting to see peoples average scores during their comp rounds vs gp rounds.

You shouldn’t be scoring more in GP rounds in my opinion 👀

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If people are throwing in enough competition cards then I really don’t see the need to bang in GP scores unless you are trying to fiddle / boost your HC

Would be interesting to see peoples average scores during their comp rounds vs gp rounds.

You shouldn’t be scoring more in GP rounds in my opinion 👀

You normally will score more in GP stable ford wise as your handicap is normally higher

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

GP cards, I would but I don’t show up regularly or have a habit. I have to ask to get out, because there are social events, family gatherings and work.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You normally will score more in GP stable ford wise as your handicap is normally higher
Score for handicap is Score Differential. This is based on gross score - usually make no difference what your handicap was at the time.

Old system used nett scores - new system uses gross scores.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Score for handicap is Score Differential. This is based on gross score - usually make no difference what your handicap was at the time.

Old system used nett scores - new system uses gross scores.

Fair enough. A better reason your GP might be higher is that in GP you can use 2 shot pen for lost ball as opposed to go back in comps