How long would you wait on the 10th.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to a guy who played with us lot today. He played at another local course with another lad and has now joined our place after having a major fallout out at his last place. In essence the other course used a booking system where you could start at both the 1st and 10th hole. Anyway said guy and his 3 PP got to the 10th after playing the front nine and there was a Queue where some had not started there rounds. They were told to get to the back. They had an amble to the club shop and asked what was the situation, can they play through or what. They were told nope they had to wait 1hr and 20 mins til the tee times cleared. They were advised they could have a drink in the clubhouse or go on the range. There four mates behind them turned up after the front nine and asked what was goin off. Words were exchanged, two lads who paid and played walked straight off the course and said stuff your course. The other six are five day members and have said they will not renew next year and are coming to ours.
Now it seems the system is a bit wonky at the other course but how long would you wait to continue your round.
PS watching someone knock it 580yds in two shots is impressive the Bighead. 😳😁👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to play on a nine hole course. The etiquette there was the first group turning had priority and then groups alternated between those starting and those turning. That worked okay.

I wouldn't stay at a club where you had to wait more than 10 minutes at the 10th on a regular basis. I'd be with your mates and leaving the course.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
starting at both tees is surely asking for trouble,
I agree with SaintH that those in mid round should have priority, are they looking to lose members or what?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talking to a guy who played with us lot today. He played at another local course with another lad and has now joined our place after having a major fallout out at his last place. In essence the other course used a booking system where you could start at both the 1st and 10th hole. Anyway said guy and his 3 PP got to the 10th after playing the front nine and there was a Queue where some had not started there rounds. They were told to get to the back. They had an amble to the club shop and asked what was the situation, can they play through or what. They were told nope they had to wait 1hr and 20 mins til the tee times cleared. They were advised they could have a drink in the clubhouse or go on the range. There four mates behind them turned up after the front nine and asked what was goin off. Words were exchanged, two lads who paid and played walked straight off the course and said stuff your course. The other six are five day members and have said they will not renew next year and are coming to ours.
Now it seems the system is a bit wonky at the other course but how long would you wait to continue your round.
PS watching someone knock it 580yds in two shots is impressive the Bighead. 

Name and shame.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a 2 tee start and it manages pretty well. First there goes, and then players coming round dovetail with any groups waiting. Not really a problem unless there's a big comp on.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
At ours, starting off the 10 is allowed only as an exception after clearing it with the registration office (at least that's the official policy, it is accepted that members start off the 10th if the 9th hole is completely free, so you are certain you are not holding anyone up), but in any case, players coming off the 9th hole take precedence over players starting off the 10th.

Club where I played before did have official starts of the 1st and 10th tee, but there, too, players coming off the 9th hole always had the right of way.

I guess the only exception to that would be if there is an official comp starting off the 1st and 10th tee. In that case, players who went out before that and are still on the front nine when the comp is starting would have to suspend their round and wait till every group from the comp had started.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Madness :mad:

I'd only let one group of 10th hole starters go in front

If this is 'normal' I'd be leaving and getting refunded

or go to the range
Would this even be permitted in a comp? (I know you can't practice on the course but never thought of hitting the range mid-round!) :eek:oo:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Madness :mad:

I'd only let one group of 10th hole starters go in front

If this is 'normal' I'd be leaving and getting refunded

Would this even be permitted in a comp? (I know you can't practice on the course but never thought of hitting the range mid-round!) :eek:oo:

Dont think they were playing in a comp

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was there a notice at the start of the round saying the 10th tee was booked for the time you might get there?

On our 9 hole course it's alternate with players starting a round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have two tees (first and tenth) and priority is given to those coming off the ninth. As it's outside the pro shop on the rare occasion there is a disagreement it is normally resolved very quickly by the shop staff. Works reasonably well as the members know the score. Had I been the OP I would have been furious and wouldn't be playing there again and would definitely cancel membership and go elsewhere

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So the club seriously expect people to play the front 9 then wait 1.5 hours to start the second 9??
Nobody in their right mind is going to do that!
As has been already said , most 9 hole courses will alternate groups.
Although this scenario happened to me at castle Stuart. We played the first 3 holes in the sun then the next 6 in the battering rain, when we got to the tenth there was a queue, we stood in the queue when 2 women walked right past everyone and onto their tee and proceeded to set up ready to play, so we asked what was going on and enquired where the queue had come from to be told that people had stopped at the halfway shop due to the rain and had been allocated times to start again at the 10th. So we had played through the lashing rain then were expected to stand and wait for an hour while all the groups that had stopped got priority.
I'd Never go back there again!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Over an hour that’s mad. I think the club are playing fast & loose with the phrase ‘booking system’

And if players did have to book tees then why would there be a 80 min Q of people at the 10th. Something broke somewhere

I'd wait long enough to slot in alternately, prob about 10-15 mins tops

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have two tees (first and tenth) and priority is given to those coming off the ninth. As it's outside the pro shop on the rare occasion there is a disagreement it is normally resolved very quickly by the shop staff. Works reasonably well as the members know the score. Had I been the OP I would have been furious and wouldn't be playing there again and would definitely cancel membership and go elsewhere

We used to have the same arrangement that those coming round had priority, but it could mean that groups waiting to start on a busy day had to wait quite some time to commence their round, so we changed to dovetailing and that works so much better. I quite often would tee up at 1.30 just as the Wednesday swindle were coming round, we could easily have waited 40 minutes + without the dovetail arrangement.

rohan sood

Visit site
At our course, its usually alternating, between 1 new group and 1 old group(who have completed 9). The wait is usually 10 - 15 mins.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So the club seriously expect people to play the front 9 then wait 1.5 hours to start the second 9??
Nobody in their right mind is going to do that!
As has been already said , most 9 hole courses will alternate groups.
Although this scenario happened to me at castle Stuart. We played the first 3 holes in the sun then the next 6 in the battering rain, when we got to the tenth there was a queue, we stood in the queue when 2 women walked right past everyone and onto their tee and proceeded to set up ready to play, so we asked what was going on and enquired where the queue had come from to be told that people had stopped at the halfway shop due to the rain and had been allocated times to start again at the 10th. So we had played through the lashing rain then were expected to stand and wait for an hour while all the groups that had stopped got priority.
I'd Never go back there again!

this is not the same as the OP situation though is it?

Ive played CS many, many times and never waited on the 10th, but not to say it wouldn't happen. Also its a Pay and play course with visitors from all over the world paying a fair whack to play there. The problem you had is the half way hut allows stoppages for food and drink and when we have come across a group that is stopping for food in front of us as we havn't stopped gone straight through. I think its the stop and a half way hut thats the problem you had. we had a similar issue at the Kings at Gleneagles last year. got to one of the tee's with a phone to order food then the next green there was the hut full to the brim no one on the tee and what looked like a long wait ahead. Luckily we carried on as there way hardly any sign of movement otherwise we wouldn't have got round before it got darkTBH

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We can start on the 1st / 10th or even 16th. As long as there is no one coming down the fairway on the previous hole (for 10th and 16th). We have no booking in place either. Just rock up and wait ( not usually more than 10 minutes, if that!) to get in

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha, that is shocking. I would not put up with having an hour's waited added to my round. If they must start some people off the 10th, it should be with the known caveat that you wave through anyone who has started on the 1st and is half way round.

Last edited: