How long should a pair of golf shoes last?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the other thread there seem to be various opinions as to what is reasonable. A good pair of walking boots will last me over 10 years, but my current pair of golf shoes are falling to pieces after less than four years.
What is a reasonable length of time for shoes to last and are there any makes/models that are better than others?
My current shoes are footjoys but clearly need replacing as the leather is split.

phillarrow

Visit site
I don't think you can measure it in time. For some people, a year's golf is over 100 rounds. For others, that would be four years of golf.
Some golfers are light on their feet and play on flat courses. Other stomp their feet down like baby elephants and are constantly putting pressure on the upper due to their position on highly sloping ground.
Your walking boots that are lasting over 10 years - how many miles is that? Do you use them a few times a week for a variety of distances? Or maybe just every couple of weeks for mountain walks? Are you actually getting more out of the four years of golf shoes than the ten years of walking boots?

In my opinion, there are just too many arbitrary factors that go into this for it to ever be reasonable to say that 'X' type of shoe should last 'Y' amount of time.

Springveldt

Visit site
Looking at the other thread there seem to be various opinions as to what is reasonable. A good pair of walking boots will last me over 10 years, but my current pair of golf shoes are falling to pieces after less than four years.
What is a reasonable length of time for shoes to last and are there any makes/models that are better than others?
My current shoes are footjoys but clearly need replacing as the leather is split.
4 years? I play around 40-50 rounds a year and need a new pair most years as I end up wearing away the back of the shoe at the heel. My Adidas ones from last year are still good for this year due to that being leather rather than fabric.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another thing to consider is how the shoe is used when playing golf. Walking shoes get (mostly) the same movement as a person steps forward whereas golf shoes get twisted into different shapes during the golf swing. This will place different stresses on the the materials and affect wear is a different way to a pair of shoes that is just used for walking.
Then throw in how the shoes are looked after, etc, by different people and you can't make any comparison - although loads on this thread will ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to think it was reasonable to expect golf shoes to last a year, but when I think back I'm sure I've had more that didn't than the ones that did. And I only tend to play once or twice a week. Plus I run a winter pair and a summer pair, so no one pair is getting worn for an entire year. But they just don't make 'em like they used to.

sunshine

Visit site
My shoes always start to let in water at the join of the upper and the sole, on the forefoot where I flex my foot. These days I’m lucky if they remain waterproof beyond a year, although visibly they are in good condition.

As a right handed golfer, I finish my swing on my left side, with my right foot flexed. I probably do that over a hundred times a round including practice swings. Plus I will likely hit balls on the range to warm up which could be another hundred flexes of the right foot. It’s no surprise that they start to let in water at this join, can’t compare with walking boots.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
@OP's FJs split after less than four years wear...mine developed a split in the upper of right shoe after 2-3yrs - though the truth is I wore them a lot and I wasn't very clever in my looking after them - especially after they got wet. I blame myself not the shoes,

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My shoes always start to let in water at the join of the upper and the sole, on the forefoot where I flex my foot. These days I’m lucky if they remain waterproof beyond a year, although visibly they are in good condition.

As a right handed golfer, I finish my swing on my left side, with my right foot flexed. I probably do that over a hundred times a round including practice swings. Plus I will likely hit balls on the range to warm up which could be another hundred flexes of the right foot. It’s no surprise that they start to let in water at this join, can’t compare with walking boots.
I think that's the same reason most of the spikes that broke on my Skechers were on the top part of the right shoe. Where you turn up onto your toes on every shot. Playing off mats in winter as well - the spikes were basically rubber and not strong enough to withstand this movement over several months. I'm actually going to avoid spiked shoes from now on for this reason. The spikeless Eccos I just bought have a decent enough tread to provide good grip anyway I reckon.

i*windows

Visit site
the same as shoes, it depends on the brand and the quality. My Duca del Cosima lasted less than a year and are complete garbage. My Adidas Adipure TP shoes are still going strong and are now 6 years old. There were expensive when I bought them, but made from fantastic quality leather. If I could find another pair of them I would snap them up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It also depends how well shoes are looked after. Mine all get wiped with baby wipes. bags of silicone gel put inside and packed with newspaper when damp along with a shoe horn and allowed to dry naturally away from any direct heat. Polish, with the odd rub of dubbin and job's a good 'un

Reactions: AAC

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It also depends how well shoes are looked after. Mine all get wiped with baby wipes. bags of silicone gel put inside and packed with newspaper when damp along with a shoe horn and allowed to dry naturally away from any direct heat. Polish, with the odd rub of dubbin and job's a good 'un

You should do a video on your collection and how you maintain them, looks like some people will learn a few things.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's the same issue with football boots really. They used to be made of leather, heavy and stiff feeling but would last you a few years. Now they are largely made of some kind of lightweight mesh, they feel more comfortable, lighter than air, but as soon as you've been studded a few times you've ripped a hole in one. And lucky if you've not broken your metatarsal. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 21258

I bought two pairs in the last six months in the sales. One pair is no longer waterproof and the outside material is wrecked, as I went climbing though brambles to find some balls on the side of a dune:oops:

Im happy if a pair last 1-2 years and stays waterproof for a whole winter. My dickies work boots only last about a year.

Springveldt

Visit site
I've noticed people seem to have an issue with waterproofing going. The only ones I've had trouble with are Footjoy (tongue/upper area) all my other shoes have been fine. I wore my old Decathlon pair during the winter just gone, they are 2.5 years old, have never been looked after properly (always just left in the garage after a round with a baby wipe rub down once in a blue moon) yet they are still waterproof. Great value for £55. :)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Finding a good pair of shoes which fit you well, are comfy and last a long time is such a hard thing in my view. As much as you might try them in the shop/at home when they arrive, you can never really tell until you’ve worn them on the course and even then it might be a number of rounds before something starts to feel uncomfortable or fails.

I must’ve spent £200-300 on shoes in the last 5 years, I’ve got 4 pairs which I rotate, 1 for very wet conditions, 1 for iffy weather, a new pair for just normal wear and then a summer only pair. I’m not 100% happy with any of them!