Shoes for orthotics

Navrig

Visit site
I am looking for a new pair of shoes which will be able to take my orthotic insoles.

About 12 years ago I developed a Plantar Fasciitis injury. After physio and stretching the long term "cure" was to have orthotic insoles in (most of) my shoes. This has worked very well and until last month all was good. Then I stupidly got caught up ceilidh dancing (I live in Scotland) after a few wines. I didn't have any shoes on and the PF has returned with vengeance.

I have been rollering, stretching & icing and thought it had gone away but yesterday 18 holes of golf has brought it back again. My Ecco shoes get a fairly good rating for foot support and for helping with PF but they are too snug to allow the orthotics to be inserted.

If I knew what brands are suitable for replacing the stock insole with an orthotic I can then check what stores stock that brand.

I have posted this on a US golf website where members have suggested I try True Links shoes which seems to be a US brand. They sell online in the UK but before I try I thought I'd try and get some opinions from UK golfers. Anyone use True Links shoes?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have Plantar Fasciitis, suffered about 10 years now

I wear footjoy, Nike, ecco and sketchers

However I use a pro wellbeing 11 insole and all you do is remove (sometimes with a bit of force) the insole in the golf shoe and put them in it's place

Ever since using them I manage to walk 18 holes twice a week without pain

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean True Linkswear? I’ve never heard of them, but that’s all Google suggests.

I think it’s too much of an individual problem to really advise. For context I have to use an orthotic with one foot due to a combination of reconstructive surgery resulting in tendon issues and more recently plantar fasciitis. By trial and error I found Ecco to work really well for my situation. Adidas Tour 360 were pretty good 10 years ago but since I found the Ecco fit me better I’ve stuck with them.

Looking at the True Linkswear site they seem to be “zero drop” shoes which will need caution - there’s a bit of a fad for this in trail running that’s spilling over to other sports but it can be a very painful adjustment to get used to not having a heel raise and may worsen PF.

Sorry. Not very helpful but I sympathise because I know finding what works is a difficult and costly exercise.

Navrig

Visit site
Cheers Paul. I have been using orthotics for 12 years or so with little or no issues. I have been wearing, mostly, Ecco shoes for years - walking, work etc so I bought Ecco golf shoes. However, the toe box is not deep enough to accommodate my orthotics. That said, the Eccos are supportive enough for me to use without the orthotic as long as I don't have the PF injury. The recent injury is forcing me to look at new shoes despite the Eccos only being a year old!

I'll pop into a pro-shop and try on some shoes with my orthotics.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Paul. I have been using orthotics for 12 years or so with little or no issues. I have been wearing, mostly, Ecco shoes for years - walking, work etc so I bought Ecco golf shoes. However, the toe box is not deep enough to accommodate my orthotics. That said, the Eccos are supportive enough for me to use without the orthotic as long as I don't have the PF injury. The recent injury is forcing me to look at new shoes despite the Eccos only being a year old!

I'll pop into a pro-shop and try on some shoes with my orthotics.

I found it fine to fit the insoles, you can always trim the insoles slightly round the toe

However I do go a size up with ECCO

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just bought two pair of Fitville golf shoes.
Wide fit they are very comfy.
Loads of room in the toe box and would fit any orthotics easily.

There’s a UK site and they have a sale on atm.
There more summer shoes I think unless you wear spikeless in winter.
Worth a look.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've discovered that it's actually the walking that causes my back pain, especially when golfing.
Would these insoles help to reduce the pounding/impact on my back.
Any other recommendations for shoes or anything that might help would be appreciated.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've discovered that it's actually the walking that causes my back pain, especially when golfing.
Would these insoles help to reduce the pounding/impact on my back.
Any other recommendations for shoes or anything that might help would be appreciated.
Maybe Nike with the air pocket in the heel will help.

But be prepared for abuse like Rishi is getting!