Buying wider fitting golf shoes

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Update. Having previously thought I’d walked in my Dryjoys, I played yesterday and they started nipping my heels on the back 9.

2 small but sore blisters on my heels. They certainly weren’t as bad as blisters I’d get at the start, but they must be 12 or 13 rounds in now. Last time I played I don’t remember a problem, hence I thought they were sorted.

Really feel I’m back to square one as previously had no issues with cheaper foot joy and Nike shoes, but my last 2 pairs, Adidas and now Footjoy dryjoys, have given me problems. Both times I specifically bought shoes with waterproof guarantee and have to say it is great to be able to search through wet rough and have bone dry feet.

The shoes definitely fit me and on 1st trying them on and walking about, there isn’t a problem.

However sore feet on the last 6 holes does not make for enjoyable golf. I’ll get more plasters and keep trying for now, but come the spring i’ll need to make a decision as they weren’t cheap so reluctant to abandon.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Have had my feet measured and like you are two different sizes, and one is wide the other verging on extra wide.

Interesting to see Footjoy do made to measure, as all my recent shoes have been Footjoy and would happily buy them again.

FootJoy also do, or at least did, fitting sessions, where one of their reps turns up, measures your feet and then lets you try the shoes; they literally have every size and width, albeit in one style only, and you get to try them on there and then in your measured size. I changed my FootJoy size from 11 medium to 10.5 wide as a result, and the pair I ordered on the day are the most comfortable pair of FootJoys I've ever had.

AdamW

Visit site
Just tried FootJoy extra wide and they are still way too narrow . Had my feet measured as well at American golf they said I was a extra wide so not sure where to go next :confused:

Last edited:

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry Adam I can’t comment on those. I know I don’t fit Icons extra wide but have never had a problem with tours, contours or one other that came out 2-3 years ago that I can’t remember the name

AdamW

Visit site
Sorry Adam I can’t comment on those. I know I don’t fit Icons extra wide but have never had a problem with tours, contours or one other that came out 2-3 years ago that I can’t remember the name

No problems wondering if to order a few different sizes in wide fit for Adidas tour 360 next to see how they fit, but wanted spikless really

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
FootJoy also do, or at least did, fitting sessions, where one of their reps turns up, measures your feet and then lets you try the shoes; they literally have every size and width, albeit in one style only, and you get to try them on there and then in your measured size. I changed my FootJoy size from 11 medium to 10.5 wide as a result, and the pair I ordered on the day are the most comfortable pair of FootJoys I've ever had.
Not sure about FJ doing a fitting but I'm definitely getting my feet measured at Silvermere on Wednesday morning. I fancy a pair of UA's and maybe even an adidas pair but I want to be confident after my previous adidas issues it is the right fit. WIll be interested to see what the machine says. Am I really an 8 (medium in both as I currently buy my FJ's in)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not sure about FJ doing a fitting but I'm definitely getting my feet measured at Silvermere on Wednesday morning. I fancy a pair of UA's and maybe even an adidas pair but I want to be confident after my previous adidas issues it is the right fit. WIll be interested to see what the machine says. Am I really an 8 (medium in both as I currently buy my FJ's in)

I'm sure they used to do them because our Pro booked one. Guy from FootJoy turned up with a Brannock gauge, asked you about your existing shoes, measures your feet and then gets the recommended size & width out of two huge cases that he lugged in with him. That was a couple of years ago, whether or not they still do them I don't know

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Update. Having previously thought I’d walked in my Dryjoys, I played yesterday and they started nipping my heels on the back 9.

2 small but sore blisters on my heels. They certainly weren’t as bad as blisters I’d get at the start, but they must be 12 or 13 rounds in now. Last time I played I don’t remember a problem, hence I thought they were sorted.

Really feel I’m back to square one as previously had no issues with cheaper foot joy and Nike shoes, but my last 2 pairs, Adidas and now Footjoy dryjoys, have given me problems. Both times I specifically bought shoes with waterproof guarantee and have to say it is great to be able to search through wet rough and have bone dry feet.

The shoes definitely fit me and on 1st trying them on and walking about, there isn’t a problem.

However sore feet on the last 6 holes does not make for enjoyable golf. I’ll get more plasters and keep trying for now, but come the spring i’ll need to make a decision as they weren’t cheap so reluctant to abandon.
Get some thousand mile socks or wear two pair of thin socks .
This stops the shoe rubbing on your feet.
As the friction is between the material not on your skin.

Don’t forget when you try on shoes in a shop it’s nice and warm but on the course it’s cold and this can have a slight effect on you ,,and feet shrink in cold weather leading to shoes being slightly big.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Get some thousand mile socks or wear two pair of thin socks .
This stops the shoe rubbing on your feet.
As the friction is between the material not on your skin.

Don’t forget when you try on shoes in a shop it’s nice and warm but on the course it’s cold and this can have a slight effect on you ,,and feet shrink in cold weather leading to shoes being slightly big.

Cheers, I'll defiantly order some of the 2 layer 1000 Mile Socks.

i was out again this morning, but put blister plasters on both heels. I was dotting about to different holes and probably played / walked the equivalent of 11 or 12 holes.

My feet were fine, but given the look of the plasters when i took them off they'd probably have started nipping had I not been wearing them.

Like I said, they definitely fit me and there's no way i would try these on out the box and think I was going to have problems. And had a pair of FootJoys in the past that were comfier than trainers.

Looking at taking a flier on FootJoy Contour Fit shoes? Has anyone had any experience of these. They are potentially very good value for £75 and would mean I could alternate them with my DryJoys and keep them both in play for quite a while.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers, I'll defiantly order some of the 2 layer 1000 Mile Socks.

i was out again this morning, but put blister plasters on both heels. I was dotting about to different holes and probably played / walked the equivalent of 11 or 12 holes.

My feet were fine, but given the look of the plasters when i took them off they'd probably have started nipping had I not been wearing them.

Like I said, they definitely fit me and there's no way i would try these on out the box and think I was going to have problems. And had a pair of FootJoys in the past that were comfier than trainers.

Looking at taking a flier on FootJoy Contour Fit shoes? Has anyone had any experience of these. They are potentially very good value for £75 and would mean I could alternate them with my DryJoys and keep them both in play for quite a while.
The old Contour model were fantastic straight from the box.
Can’t see the new ones not being.
I have the old model , two years old and still going well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The old Contour model were fantastic straight from the box.
Can’t see the new ones not being.
I have the old model , two years old and still going well.

Cheers. Tried to find a pair in a shop the last few days, to no avail.

Going with the 1000 mile socks tomorrow so that could solve my problems. But still handy to keep a couple of pairs in play and keen to get away for a few 36 hole days this summer so need something that is def not going to cause me problems.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My extra wide shoes have been delivered to the pro shop at Gailes. Tried them on yesterday and they fit really well and feel comfortable. Decided to buy them and need to see how my feet will be after a game now.
Decent service and communication from Footjoy (y)

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My extra wide shoes have been delivered to the pro shop at Gailes. Tried them on yesterday and they fit really well and feel comfortable. Decided to buy them and need to see how my feet will be after a game now.
Decent service and communication from Footjoy (y)

Which ones did you go for in the end