how long does a premium ball last ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always managed to get a medal round and prob a bounce game out of a new Pro V1, before having to put it the practice bin.

I'm hitting the ball very well of late with irons and wedges i'm noticing that I'm not even getting a full round out of a ball in the last couple of months.
Not talking about losing it just in the normal round with the same ball. Both rounds this weekend i had to change balls after 9 or 10 holes esp around Tain which is shorter than my home club so hitting wedges for 2nd shots on a fair few holes.

never had this problem before.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
I always managed to get a medal round and prob a bounce game out of a new Pro V1, before having to put it the practice bin.

I'm hitting the ball very well of late with irons and wedges i'm noticing that I'm not even getting a full round out of a ball in the last couple of months.
Not talking about losing it just in the normal round with the same ball. Both rounds this weekend i had to change balls after 9 or 10 holes esp around Tain which is shorter than my home club so hitting wedges for 2nd shots on a fair few holes.

never had this problem before.
I was thinking this on Saturday, went through 2 ProV1x in a round. Not sure how other premium balls hold up. But it is shocking!

U

User62651

Have you been using a groove sharpener?:whistle:

I remember before they changed the grooves rule back in 09/10 whenever, if you hit new vokeys or CG10s firmly at a premium ball it sometimes actually removed slivers of cover from the ball.

Not much you can do except cough up unless you're ok playing a scruffy ball.

Are you suggesting covers are softer than a few years ago?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you been using a groove sharpener?:whistle:

I remember before they changed the grooves rule back in 09/10 whenever, if you hit new vokeys or CG10s firmly at a premium ball it sometimes actually removed slivers of cover from the ball.

Not much you can do except cough up unless you're ok playing a scruffy ball.

Are you suggesting covers are softer than a few years ago?

No, all the balls were new just last years and the year before Prov 1 and ProV1X. The wife got me a load of Prov1s last Christmas and only just started using them, so not the latest version.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously depends on the abuse I've given it (hitting large trees, or bunkers can have serious effects on the cover of a ball) but I've had three round about of the new TP5 with only noticeable effect being the slight discolouration from bright white.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm using this year's ProV's now, and a new ball will last a comp round then a couple of practice rounds if I can hang on to it.

I've never been one for shredding balls though, maybe I don't hit it hard enough :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

7 rounds 11 holes*

*according to Robobum

#Hayling :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm using this year's ProV's now, and a new ball will last a comp round then a couple of practice rounds if I can hang on to it.

I've never been one for shredding balls though, maybe I don't hit it hard enough :)

me either, but am hitting my irons and wedges really well at the moment and definitely hitting down on the ball more than i used to. maybe thats it

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking similar on this.
I think the new V1/V1x is a little more susceptible to marking/scarring - only marginally though.
Perhaps bit more noticeable when hit hard out of bunkers or nutted with groovy wedges.
But still surviving no more than two rounds - then it's a practice/prov ball!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What constitutes a premium ball?

Is an AD333 Tour a premium ball to it's little brother the Ad333 or is it the premium (best/most expensive) within the brand range, such as the Z Star? which may not suit everyone?

What is the premium ball in the Callaway brand, the Chrome Soft?

Does Bridgestone have a premium ball?

When a new 'premium' ball is launched within a brand, does that mean that the previous premium ball is no longer premium?

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With my Vice pro plus...seems to last two rounds...before it discolours and gets a bit tatty....hitting it well of late and not getting through the balls out of losing them, but more because I have noticed discolouration after 2 rounds or so.............I guess this is what happens to all these balls if you 'keep' them too long!

M

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm envious of some of the posts here. I get one round maximum, but I do hit down on the ball and it gets marked up quickly. Usually one would never make it through a round. Any scuffs and its of to the practice pocket.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What constitutes a premium ball?

Is an AD333 Tour a premium ball to it's little brother the Ad333 or is it the premium (best/most expensive) within the brand range, such as the Z Star? which may not suit everyone?

What is the premium ball in the Callaway brand, the Chrome Soft?

Does Bridgestone have a premium ball?

When a new 'premium' ball is launched within a brand, does that mean that the previous premium ball is no longer premium?

Bridgestone Premium balls would be considered as any ball in the B330 Range. My preferred balls are B330RXS in summer and B330RX in winter.

I get about two rounds with each one - one for medal play and the other for general play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With my Vice pro plus...seems to last two rounds...before it discolours and gets a bit tatty....hitting it well of late and not getting through the balls out of losing them, but more because I have noticed discolouration after 2 rounds or so.............I guess this is what happens to all these balls if you 'keep' them too long!

M

Having played Vice Pro and Pro + a lot last year one of the biggest things I noticed about them was how quickly they lost the brightness in the white and quickly looked discoloured, not that it affected performance.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I usually get a few rounds from a z-star before I decide it's too scuffed for play. But I had one yesterday that had a big cut in it after about 10 holes. Must have bladed it at some point - there were a few dodgy strikes!

Played 18 with one today and quite happy to keep it in play tomorrow.