how long does a premium ball last ?

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having played Vice Pro and Pro + a lot last year one of the biggest things I noticed about them was how quickly they lost the brightness in the white and quickly looked discoloured, not that it affected performance.

Yeah, this is me as well....loving the performance of the ball but the discolour lark is a bit annoying.....normally play the AD333Tour but Vice plays better....just question the longevity of it........still got 16 left and will see how the rest of the season goes...

M

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have been playing AD333 tour and not had any issues with it deteriorating other than the odd coming together with a tree. I still have permium (Pro V or Z Star) that I use on away days and club matches/comps and to be honest at my level I can put up with a few scuff marks on a ball. It doesn't impact its performance for me

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I got 200 holes from a Chromesoft earlier in the year. To be fair, it was a bit 2nd hand by then.....
I don't lose many these days and have enough in my bag to rotate them so none of them get really marked up..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If they hang around long enough they're usually changed mid round, second round.

Thinking of the old balata balls, especially playing links golf, I was lucky to get 9 holes in before it needed replacing.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely with every manufacture constantly striving for " the softest ball ever " status, this will only become a bigger issue?

We are effectively as paying customers asking for a ball that wears out quicker, and then paying a premium for that right.

Off to sports direct to buy a box of donnay tour spin's

D

Deleted member 15344

Can normally play 4/5 rounds with a ball - certainly never change it mid round , don't think we are that good to be affected by any small scuffs etc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can normally play 4/5 rounds with a ball - certainly never change it mid round , don't think we are that good to be affected by any small scuffs etc

Me too. I generally only dump a ball if it is cut or cracked in some way; if they get just tooo scuffed up, or if a bit of the skin is sticking up :) A faded or 'greying' ball doesn't bother me - which is just as well as I find enough.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got 200 holes from a Chromesoft earlier in the year. To be fair, it was a bit 2nd hand by then.....
I don't lose many these days and have enough in my bag to rotate them so none of them get really marked up..

Were you playing crazy golf or just using a PW and putter? 200 holes without losing a ball! You aren't trying to hit it far enough:swing:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Why do you think cricketers scuff one side of the ball? To make it swing. They're only firing it 22yds. A drive is going 250, and with even a small scuff will swing. You may think you're hitting it with a fade but... is it a fade or is the drag on one side of the ball making it swing?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you think cricketers scuff one side of the ball? To make it swing. They're only firing it 22yds. A drive is going 250, and with even a small scuff will swing. You may think you're hitting it with a fade but... is it a fade or is the drag on one side of the ball making it swing?

That's brilliant, thank you SO much for that. Physics is to blame every time I lose a ball... :)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Can i I use this to help correcty fade, ahem slice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, the science of swing bowling. I never managed to even get a wobble. I remember once batting against an old guy who trundled up to the wicket, gently bowled and swung it like a boomerang. Huge swing every delivery off about 3 paces. All in the action. Clever stuff swing bowling.

Visit site
Ah, the science of swing bowling. I never managed to even get a wobble. I remember once batting against an old guy who trundled up to the wicket, gently bowled and swung it like a boomerang. Huge swing every delivery off about 3 paces. All in the action. Clever stuff swing bowling.

Dark arts of village cricket. FYI, the best shot selection for the chap in question isn't to try and plant the front foot and smash it into cow corner.

As regards golf vs cricket ball, no seam on a golf ball, wouldnt affect it anything like as much

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Not totally convinced by that Bri..
The seam of a cricket ball helps massively with the swing - I was a mahoosive swinger of the ball in my day
The seam is very proud of the rest of the ball, altering the airflow considerably - I used to be able to swing a brand new ball just by manipulating the position of the seam.
Golf balls have no such seam so any sideways movement is going to be down to a tilt in the backspin....
A scuff will have an effect but miniscule in comparison to the effect of the spin.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Also, depending on the lie on the 2nd shot, you would have no control of fade or draw as the scruff can be either side.