How important is golf-specific clothing for on-course play?

Miller

Visit site
On the website for one of my local courses, the guest guide states:

When using the course or practice facilities, golfers should wear attire specifically manufactured for the game of golf

I don't currently have any such clothing. Would I be ok in a polo shirt, chinos and a pair of dark trainers, or are people on the course generally eagle-eyed when it comes to attire?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You'll be fine with the polo and chinos.

You should be fine with the trainers, unless you happen to cross paths with a particularly keen eyed member of the golf attired gestapo.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Polos and chinos are pretty well the norm. Many clubs ban cargo pants, particularly camouflaged. Trainers may not be a good idea depending on the underfoot conditions. Golf shoes normally have spikes or studs for a reason.

Miller

Visit site
Polos and chinos are pretty well the norm. Many clubs ban cargo pants, particularly camouflaged. Trainers may not be a good idea depending on the underfoot conditions. Golf shoes normally have spikes or studs for a reason.

Thanks again for the advice. I was sort of generalising with the trainers - the ones I have are Merrell walking shoes.

And thanks for the other answers, sanity prevails!

D

Deleted member 15344

Thanks again for the advice. I was sort of generalising with the trainers - the ones I have are Merrell walking shoes.

Many items can be bought that look like golf clothing and are acceptable

But in regards footwear - golf shoes only , if the course says no trainers on the course then no trainers or walking shoes etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This might be, note might be, less aggressive than it seems. We have a sign up at our place, an old sign, which has a bit of an old school dress code on it. Having spoken to the manager of the course he has refined it to 'clothing designed for golf'. This allows flexibility to include items that previously would have been rejected, the Nike golf t-shirt for example is a problem for clubs that specify shirts must have a collar. Instead of naming items that are or are not acceptable, needing votes to remove or include :rolleyes:, this lets clubs move with the times in a fluid way.

Of course, they may enforce it in a draconian way but hopefully not.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt there would be a problem with the club rules or with your slipping over but I would invest in something with a better grip for when swinging a club

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the website for one of my local courses, the guest guide states:

I don't currently have any such clothing. Would I be ok in a polo shirt, chinos and a pair of dark trainers, or are people on the course generally eagle-eyed when it comes to attire?

Are you reading the rule correctly? We have a similar rule which states that any item of clothing made specificly for golf is acceptable. This was written to overcome complaints made about our then rules which said all shirts must have collars when they were selling Tiger Woods (Nike) collarless shirts in the pro shop.

The one rule we still have that you say you will be wearing is - no trainers. We still require shoes to be golf specific shoes but in any style such as trainer style. As already said if the ground is slightly damp trainers may not necessarily give the correct grip in the swing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Polo and chinos would be fine but most will expect golf shoes but tbh some of those now you would struggle tell the diff. Council courses would much more relaxed comp to a private members club, its far more relaxed up here on the whole, with the odd exception

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here's the link to the guest guide in question.

PowerPoint Presentation (bearwoodlakes.co.uk)
Fairly standard regulations, nothing too stuffy or snobby in there. As previously mentioned, the golf specific clothing reference is to get round (in particular) Nike shirts as worn by Tiger, etc. Previously most clubs specified polo shirts with collars but then Nike, being trendy, brought out a range of round neck tops and this caused issues with some people who were being told that they couldn't wear them but claimed they were for golf. That said, you probably won't get away with wearing a normal round neck top from Next!
You don't need to spend a fortune on golf gear, I suggest a decent pair of golf shoes (both for ease of play and conforming with the club rules) and then look at Sports Direct or somewhere online like Druids Golf or County Golf for reasonably priced clothing. Decent waterproofs are also a good idea - especially in weather like today!!!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most clubs won’t pick you up on clothing so long as it conforms to a golf appearance. Personally, I prefer to go golf specific as I find the clothing lighter and allowing more movement.

Almost all clubs will pick you up on footwear, just buy a pair of golf shoes.

The other thing to bear in mind is if you are playing as a guest your host is obligated to make sure you follow dress codes. Don’t put them in an awkward position.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

IslaG

Visit site
I’d suggest the priority list is shoes, a few lessons then wet weather gear You’d be surprised at how much clothing you’ll find at the back of your wardrobe that works fine for golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I have worn Merrill walking shoes to play in and they are just great. In fact they also look pretty much like some of the more ‘trendy’ styles of golf shoe…and their grip is great.

Miller

Visit site
I have worn Merrill walking shoes to play in and they are just great. In fact they also look pretty much like some of the more ‘trendy’ styles of golf shoe…and their grip is great.

I’d certainly agree with you. The Merrells are very good when out walking and I’ve never sloped wearing them.

On the back of much advice here, I’ve bought some golf shoes (FJ Hyperflex), as a bonus they’re incredibly comfy.

IslaG

Visit site
One day - Covid travel permitting- I hope you’ll come to New Zealand just for the fun of seeing the “no gum boots allowed “ sign at a few rural courses in the Sth Island ! ( Wellington boots to you!)

RichA

Visit site
I’d certainly agree with you. The Merrells are very good when out walking and I’ve never sloped wearing them.

On the back of much advice here, I’ve bought some golf shoes (FJ Hyperflex), as a bonus they’re incredibly comfy.
When it's really wet, I wear my Salomon waterproof trail running shoes because, unlike my waterproof golf shoes, they are actually waterproof.
In terms of other clothing, Tesco cotton trousers/shorts and Next jersey cotton polos are more comfortable and about quarter the price of any golf specific clothing I've tried. Cash saved for new clubs!
Golf shoes are my only golf-specific attire.