What do you look for in a golf course?

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm setting up a review type website of golf courses in the UK, and I need some categories in which to look at when doing a review.

So, when looking back at a course you have just played, what sort of things do you look for?

Condition? Value? Service?

What are the most important things you look at when deciding how good a golf course is?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like holes that are memorable. So they dont have to be long but if they are pretty looking holes, quirky holes or clever holes then i tend to remember them and thus like them.

There's a course near me which is short, some would deem it a beginners course, and fairly bog standard in terms of condition but there are some lovely, aesthetically pleasing holes which i enjoy playing.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm setting up a review type website of golf courses in the UK, and I need some categories in which to look at when doing a review.

So, when looking back at a course you have just played, what sort of things do you look for?

Condition? Value? Service? yes.

What are the most important things you look at when deciding how good a golf course is?
And Quality of golf, Facilities

D

Deleted member 15344

Are you reviewing the whole club including the clubhouse ?

For the course only

Layout
Standard of the fairways
Fair balance of holes
Standout holes
Value for money
Playability
Pleasing to the eye

Will be honest with you - there are a good number of review sites already and most agree with each other on the golf courses

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
most of it has already been said ,but i do like to have a decent greeting when i play a new course .
it dosent cost anything to be welcoming to people ,who knows you might be looking to join for all they know and first exchanges certainly leave a telling mark.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
because it's not mentioned yet - tee boxes. may sound unimportant but I for one get tired of playing of tee boxes on some course that look like a war has taken place on them. is it so difficult to take a little care of this area? Flattish stance would be nice at least. I notice the courses that have put some time and effort into caring for them so it can be done

robemosc

Club Champion
Visit site
- Condition of Course (Tees, Fairways & Greens)
- Welcome as a visitor (So many bad experiences as a younger player as a visitor)
- Unique, challenge & memorable holes
- Reputation, if the club has a reputation as an old school members set up i will avoid like the plague as the level of service you receive as a visitor really makes a difference to the overall experience

D

Deleted Member 1156

- Reputation, if the club has a reputation as an old school members set up i will avoid like the plague as the level of service you receive as a visitor really makes a difference to the overall experience

Interesting comment, not something I've ever really had a problem with and I've played loads of 'old school' clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

- Condition of Course (Tees, Fairways & Greens)
- Welcome as a visitor (So many bad experiences as a younger player as a visitor)
- Unique, challenge & memorable holes

That's not something I have witnessed to be honest

robemosc

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting comment, not something I've ever really had a problem with and I've played loads of 'old school' clubs.

Sorry dont think I typed exactly what I meant.

Locally we have some clubs that I know have diminishing membership numbers and are yet to diversify and attitudes towards none members are less than welcoming. This has stopped me returning or even trying them

I know some of the older and heritage courses are very modern in terms of visitor experience.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there is room for a real good, well put together, golf course review site. I've read many reviews online and find them totally useless. If I was setting up a site I would look at making in-depth, but easy to use. I would be looking at making a rating out of 100 for every course. I would have it set up in 10 different categories, using a 10/10 rating, would look something like this:

1: Off course visual appearance
How it look on the way in, the clubhouse, the changing rooms etc
2: How welcome you are made to feel
3: Initial visual appearance of the course
4: Standard of the practice facilities
Driving range, putting green etc
5: Tee boxes
6: Fairways
appearance, quality etc
7: Greens
8: Unique memorable holes
9: Variety of holes
10: Overall experience

So using my system, my last game would look like this.......

The Challenge Golf Club
Saturday March 12th 08:30am
Fee $42

1: 6
2: 8
3: 7
4: 5
5: 6
6: 7
7: 8
8: 10
9: 8
10: 7

Total = 72.

So anyone going use your site would now see that this course is a 72. Simple, easy way of getting a feel for what a course is like.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can tell a lot about how ell a course is managed by the quality and consistency of the bunkers. The placement will also give you a view on the design.

Guvnor2013

Medal Winner
Visit site
Level tee boxes is a basic must for me, I really lose respect for a course that can't get this right. I appreciate that these areas wear out and you have to move them around a bit to allow areas to grow back but it's only a few square yards and, over a period of time, the greenkeepers should be able to construct something usable all-year-round.

Decent greens are also highly preferable. Again, I appreciate that this might not be possible for the entire year as they need top-dressing, hollow-tining and other treatments but if they are in good nick when I play them then it's the measure of the course really.

A variety of challenges in between with a bit of water, quaint bridges, surprising views, at least a few tree-lined fairways and hitting into greens where you can see the ball land would be in my ideal course.

A good menu in the clubhouse, a friendly pro in the shop and pleasant changing facilities also tick a few of my boxes.

I note the contributor's view that 10 categories with 10 points each multiplies out to give a convenient 'percentage' but giving equal weighting to each area is not, IMHO a fair way to judge a club's set-up. e.g. should initial appearance have the same influence on the final 'score' as quality of the greens?