Trainers (Footwear) for golf in the UK, question?

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Well if I can get my knee replaced (scary at 40!) I am considering a UK golf holiday probably around this time next year.

I have looked at some courses online and many say you are not allowed to wear trainers on the golf course? Over here some older players on the Champions Tour wear trainers to play golf in and I am certainly looking for all the shock absorption I can get. Currently wearing a smart pair of New Balance for my walking (and even wear them to work.)

Keeping in mind, I try to dress smartly for golf, clean polo shirt, always pressed, clean slacks, always pressed, always a clean cap (not sweat stained,) clubs always looking clean in the bag, presentable, in other words - is a club (and I am hoping to play some nice ones) going to turn me away because I want the most comfortable footwear to support my condition I can find. Especially, as I will be walking some no doubt hillier golf courses than the ones I tackle in the flat AZ desert with a golf cart.

Do I need to explain in advance when I book? Of course I would never wear such footwear in the clubhouse and would change in the locker room not perched on the trunk of the car!

Many thanks,

Craig.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

There are many golf shoes you can buy now that are as comfy as trainers.

The best courses in the U.K. will not allow you to wear trainers to play regardless of any medical issues

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I would suggest finding yourself some golf shoes you can tolerate and have them as backup. A pretty high % wouldn't pull you up with those if you don't draw attention, but you need a fall back in case.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Every chance you will be fine to wear normal golf shoes after getting it replaced, my grandad is 81 and had both of his done and plays 2 or 3 times a week and goes up ladders fixing stuff

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Most spike less golf shoes look exactly like trainers and I've not heard of anyone being pulled up, or had their shoes examined, in recent years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son has recently bought a pair of bright blue Adidas dimpled golf shoes. To me they look like how running shoes you used to be but they are from American Golf and they are genuine golf shoes. No way could someone tell the difference between trainers and golf shoes now. Why would it matter anyway. Genuine trainers are flat soled and leave no marks.

Anyone still questioning this needs to go along to see a bunch of juniors play golf now. All are wearing trainer type golf shoes now. Time and golf fashion has moved on.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most clubs will have a rule that non-golf shoes wouldn't be allowed. The health and safety policy might pull you up because they might be a little more "slippery".

That said, will you get away with those shoes ? 99% of the time yes. Just have a back up plan to be sure Craig (even if its buy a pair from the pro shop).

Enjoy your trip and let us know where your playing.

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
Me and a mate played the Brabazon in July and my friend wore a pair of these..

186.jpg

Asked in the pro shop and also asked the starter if he was ok to wear them and both said no problem at all..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only issue is going to be for yourself. It rains a lot here and if the ground is wet then a/ your feet get wet b/ you will find it slippy when you are looking to take a shot. For the club, worrying about the look of trainers is a ship that sailed a few years ago.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I am not mistaken, Camberley Heath (home of 2016 H4H day) operate a no trainer-esque policy? I'm sure TXL said it the first time I played there for 2015 KoK... but I may be mistaken / got my courses & people mixed up! I used to have a pair of Nike Dunk golf shoes:

Nike-Dunk-NG-Golf-Shoe-2012_WBG_550.jpeg

It's always worth asking!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think you can play in what you like footwear wise at my place. or at least the Club President does;) he's got bad feet and wears deck shoes... mind you i doubt anyone would pull him up about it as he also wears a jacket and tie while playing... lol

I would be more worried about slipping over with no grip on shoes esp in wet weather.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I am not mistaken, Camberley Heath (home of 2016 H4H day) operate a no trainer-esque policy? I'm sure TXL said it the first time I played there for 2015 KoK... but I may be mistaken / got my courses & people mixed up! I used to have a pair of Nike Dunk golf shoes:

Nike-Dunk-NG-Golf-Shoe-2012_WBG_550.jpeg

It's always worth asking!

Think that was more in relation to the Adizeros that leave horrible craters because of the way the spikes are set into pods. I have a pair of them and certainly understand why courses would ban them

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
View attachment 21037Plain black New Balance Trainers, $120 or so at retail.

Change in the locker room, enjoy your round.

Having said that I wouldn't play wearing those if it was wet, or damp, from a personal safety perspective.

I wouldn't have a discussion about it before playing on the basis that you are more likely to get a straight no (on the basis that the rules say no trainers and you are saying it's a trainer).

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sounds like a pair of waterproof shoes may be a good idea and leave the other shoes for dry days. Not many wet days in the desert to think about. Unlike theUK