50k Sponsored Walk

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I have foolishly signed up for the South West Coast 50 on August 5th (I blame my mate entirely - it was his idea) down in Minehead and am a bit worried about it now. If anyone has done a walk of a similar distance, does anyone have any tips or hints of things I would definitely need to have?
I have a choice of footwear, as I have a pair of Merrill walking trainers & a paid of Sketcher walking trainers (as I don't want to wear a pair of hiking boots, as they will weigh a ton way before the end) but does anyone have any tips for ensuring that they are going to be as comfy as possible for as long as possible (any insole recommendations) or on hardening the soles of my feet. I'm thinking that if it's more tarmac, the Sketchers might be the way to go but if it's more hill walking, the Merrills might be better.
I am doing this for a local hospice in Farnham, so I do want to finish.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess this is through Action Challenge? We have done many events through them but I haven't managed to complete 50Km - my wife has done the 50 km Cotswold Way. We have also done Easter Walk (20+ miles, Windsor), Thames Path (25km) and various Winter Walks and Thames Bridges with AC. They are really well organised and have rest stops every 10-15 km so you can refuel and get any blisters sorted - they have self help and trained medics at each stop. You don't need to carry much, just spare clothing (especially dry socks) and a bottle or 2 of water. There is enough stuff at each stock to grab something to eat and drink and replenish your stocks. Stops have fruit, sweets, energy bars, pastries, etc and a bigger meal at the halfway and end stops. they are really well waymarked as well so no chance of going wrong.
With regard to footwear, your Merrells should be fine, we have worn walking shoes each time and haven't had any issues. You will see all sorts of dress standards from full hiking gear (think Everest ascents) to trainers and jeans! The kit list on the event website will give you a good idea on what to take, no need for torch etc as you won't be walking at night and if you need anything there will be a code for Cotswold Outdoors for a discount. If you need any other info, feel free to drop me a message.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess this is through Action Challenge? We have done many events through them but I haven't managed to complete 50Km - my wife has done the 50 km Cotswold Way. We have also done Easter Walk (20+ miles, Windsor), Thames Path (25km) and various Winter Walks and Thames Bridges with AC. They are really well organised and have rest stops every 10-15 km so you can refuel and get any blisters sorted - they have self help and trained medics at each stop. You don't need to carry much, just spare clothing (especially dry socks) and a bottle or 2 of water. There is enough stuff at each stock to grab something to eat and drink and replenish your stocks. Stops have fruit, sweets, energy bars, pastries, etc and a bigger meal at the halfway and end stops. they are really well waymarked as well so no chance of going wrong.
With regard to footwear, your Merrells should be fine, we have worn walking shoes each time and haven't had any issues. You will see all sorts of dress standards from full hiking gear (think Everest ascents) to trainers and jeans! The kit list on the event website will give you a good idea on what to take, no need for torch etc as you won't be walking at night and if you need anything there will be a code for Cotswold Outdoors for a discount. If you need any other info, feel free to drop me a message.
It is through Action Challenge - totally correct.
Thank you kindly - that makes me feel a bit better about it. If I think of anything, I will PM you (y)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Comfort is king. Get some decent socks, do you ever suffer with blisters? if you do, consider using zinc tape to protect any vulnerable areas. Avoid waterproof socks, they will make your feet sweat.

take dry socks if you have room in your kit.

Eat and drink lots!! Consider some electrolytes or salt tablets.

With your shoes, ensure what you wear are roomy, your feet will swell a little. Consider running trainers, trail ones which your Sketchers sound like a good choice. Get a map of the route, usually they will advertise the elevation, worst case you could map it your self using various sites, garmin, strava, OS.

Sun cream, hat, pocket full of sweets, jelly babies are good for a sugar and carb hit.

Enjoy it!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I invested in some 1000 mile socks when I did some long walks - very good but factor in they are slightly thicker and as mentioned above your feet will swell so shoes with a little room are better

Good luck

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unless it’s across the Alps, you know what I mean, the Merrells are perfect. I’ve used them for years. They’re robust enough for protection but ‘soft’ enough for comfort. Make sure you have decent socks, and do take extra socks. Not just one extra pair. Try and fit a few walks in in the next couple of weeks, nothing mental. 30+ miles isn’t just to the corner shop. If you can, take a small jar of Vaseline. If a sock is rubbing, smear Vaseline there.

Good luck.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Comfort is king. Get some decent socks, do you ever suffer with blisters? if you do, consider using zinc tape to protect any vulnerable areas. Avoid waterproof socks, they will make your feet sweat.

take dry socks if you have room in your kit.

Eat and drink lots!! Consider some electrolytes or salt tablets.

With your shoes, ensure what you wear are roomy, your feet will swell a little. Consider running trainers, trail ones which your Sketchers sound like a good choice. Get a map of the route, usually they will advertise the elevation, worst case you could map it your self using various sites, garmin, strava, OS.

Sun cream, hat, pocket full of sweets, jelly babies are good for a sugar and carb hit.

Enjoy it!
Thanks Rooter. I have bought myself some decent hiking socks (3 pairs) and they aren't waterproof, so hopefully won't have the blister issues. The only time I have had them recently was on my little toe but I think that was more to do with the golf shoes I was wearing being 1/2 a size too small, so it got a bit squashed - I will look out for some zinc tape though.
I was thinking of getting some energy gel sachets, as something small to put in my rucksack but will take a bottle & I have bought one of the water bags with the sippy tube that fits in the rucksack as well.
I will have a look at the route as well - on the app it advises 1,000FT as the elevation but I will do some searching about the actual terrain.
Who doesn't love jelly babies!!
Thank you

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I invested in some 1000 mile socks when I did some long walks - very good but factor in they are slightly thicker and as mentioned above your feet will swell so shoes with a little room are better

Good luck
I'll check out the 1000 mile socks as well - thanks (y)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless it’s across the Alps, you know what I mean, the Merrells are perfect. I’ve used them for years. They’re robust enough for protection but ‘soft’ enough for comfort. Make sure you have decent socks, and do take extra socks. Not just one extra pair. Try and fit a few walks in in the next couple of weeks, nothing mental. 30+ miles isn’t just to the corner shop. If you can, take a small jar of Vaseline. If a sock is rubbing, smear Vaseline there.

Good luck.
Thanks Hobbit, I'm trying to fit in lots of smaller walks every day and then a longer one at the weekends.
I will remember several pairs of socks & some vaseline (ooh er)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Wear two pairs of socks.
Friction will occur mainly between the two socks rather than against your skin.
Do not use Vaseline on the feet. It "seals" the skin causing added heat.
Use Nivea to avoid dry hard areas occurring. It keeps the skin supple.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wear two pairs of socks.
The 1000 mile socks have 2 thin layers to avoid friction against the skin highly recommended

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to do 100km walks.
Personally I don't think double socks are necessary and I blister easily.
What causes blisters are rubbing and wet skin.
Having dry feet is essential. If you do use a second pair of socks make sure they are not cotton. Cotton does not wick away sweat and gets damp and promotes blisters.
I don't know what's in Nivea but if it's aqueous I would be a little sceptical about it stopping blisters.
I used to use Vaseline and didn't have a problem.
Be careful about other areas that can change like the inside of your thighs, Vaseline can be helpful here.
Walking is not as high intensity activity as running or cycling so refuelling should be easy.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wear two pairs of socks.

Vaseline is used by a huge portion of every ultra and marathon field to prevent chafing and blisters all over the body! Like the guys have pointed out, socks like 1000mile are double skinned so you don't need two pairs.

Feet prep is key, cut your nails at least a week before the event, i tape my toes so i actually shave my toes too! :D:oops: then clean them with surgical spirit and then tape. I then wear socks called Injini which are basically like a glove and keep your toes separated.

IF you start to feel a hotspot on your feet, stop and sort it there and then. It will not go away and it will get worse. have more tape or blister plasters in your kit.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I was a Vaseline user through all my football and running years.

A regular programme of Nivea cream use on the vulnerable areas changed all that.

I use Nivea cream regularly on my finger-ends to avoid dryness and cracking of the skin. Same for the feet.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was a Vaseline user through all my football and running years.

A regular programme of Nivea cream use on the vulnerable areas changed all that.

I use Nivea cream regularly on my finger-ends to avoid dryness and cracking of the skin. Same for the feet.

His walk is in 3 weeks, Nivea isn't gonna save him. Vas or body glide is where it's at! Sure for the long term, try and alleviate the issues!