Recommend a decent knee support

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been suffering with knee problems for the last few months. Physio diagnosed a degenerative tear to the cartilage and gave me some exercises, but that was 2-3 months ago, and it's not really getting much better. I can be walking along and it's fine, then out of nowhere I get a shooting pain and the knee suddenly feels weak.

The physio said that in the past they would have operated to clean out the knee (i had this done about 30 years ago after rupturing my ACL and damaging the cartilage), but now they tend to leave it as cartilage doesn't grow back.

I'm hoping a decent knee support might help me get back to golf. I made the mistake of googling it, and am now getting bombarded on fb with dodgy ads for supports from companies I've never heard of.

Can anyone recommend a brand they have used?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been suffering with knee problems for the last few months. Physio diagnosed a degenerative tear to the cartilage and gave me some exercises, but that was 2-3 months ago, and it's not really getting much better. I can be walking along and it's fine, then out of nowhere I get a shooting pain and the knee suddenly feels weak.

The physio said that in the past they would have operated to clean out the knee (i had this done about 30 years ago after rupturing my ACL and damaging the cartilage), but now they tend to leave it as cartilage doesn't grow back.

I'm hoping a decent knee support might help me get back to golf. I made the mistake of googling it, and am now getting bombarded on fb with dodgy ads for supports from companies I've never heard of.

Can anyone recommend a brand they have used?
Screenshot_20231218_094501_Amazon Shopping.jpg

RichA

Visit site
Worth getting proper medical advice, if you haven't already. Some physios are great, some aren't. I don't think even an orthopaedic surgeon would conclusively diagnose the same as your physio did without an MRI scan.
I tore cartilage in both knees about 10 years ago. It was physio that made it manageable, but they had a definitive diagnosis from an MRI to be certain what to do.
The surgeon and the physio asserted that over reliance on a knee support could do more harm than good.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Worth getting proper medical advice, if you haven't already. Some physios are great, some aren't. I don't think even an orthopaedic surgeon would conclusively diagnose the same as your physio did without an MRI scan.
I tore cartilage in both knees about 10 years ago. It was physio that made it manageable, but they had a definitive diagnosis from an MRI to be certain what to do.
The surgeon and the physio asserted that over reliance on a knee support could do more harm than good.
This, this and this 👍 I would imagine your knee has changed a bit since your injury of 30 years ago. I would be gobsmacked if they did not have the scan results of 30 years ago to compare what it is like then to now. Doing the wrong thing could really knock you back. See your GP if you haven’t already.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This, this and this 👍 I would imagine your knee has changed a bit since your injury of 30 years ago. I would be gobsmacked if they did not have the scan results of 30 years ago to compare what it is like then to now. Doing the wrong thing could really knock you back. See your GP if you haven’t already.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Could be sound advice.

Played this morning with the support on. Not sure how much it helped. Was only intending playing 9, but after 7, the knee was hurting, so packed in then. It's pretty sore now, after a couple of hours sat down.

Will see if I can get a GP appointment.