new to golf and forum

Adey

Visit site
hi all
I am new to golf just started 5 months ago but had time out for a knee op so getting back into it, I am going get some lessons but could anyone recommend a decent set of irons as i have been looking around and i am unsure what to get im currently using cheap irons from argos so i think my game should improve with some decent irons. I was thinking of getting graphite as i think this would suit my powerful swing? ( i can hit the ball on a half swing further than my mates full swing)

many thanks
adrian

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Where do you play? I guess it depends a lot on how much you're prepared to spend although my advice would be to have some lessons and build a solid foundation for the swing and then find some clubs that work for the game you have.

Adey

Visit site
that sounds like good advice im going to book my lessons saturday and take it from there, I am playing in Caerphilly south wales at the moment, me and my friends are thinking of trying different courses in and around south wales,

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People generally use graphite to help them generate power due to a lack of natural power.

I'm not interested in how far your half swing goes but if you feel you hit the ball with a good club head speed and good distance then I would steer away from graphite.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
welcome and enjoy the game... it's great. Now going into my 3rd season and only wish i had started earlier!

how much money you got to spend on new irons?

adriano

Visit site
Not sure I'm qualified to reply in the "Ask the Experts" section but I'd generally agree with the above.

I've only recently taken up the game again and, not wanting to take too much of a risk of having an expensive set of clubs I never use, I just got a bog standard set of Hippo's. A much better investment has been lessons, where only a few lessons have made an enormous difference in a short space of time.

Once I feel that I've improved sufficiently, and play to a consistent level, I'll look to upgrade. Your budget will obviously be the deciding factor in what to go for, but like others have said, a good pro should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The way to go has got to be lessons and then take advice on clubs for a professional. It will just be a waste of time and money if you get into a poor swing and then try to change it. Similarly, clubs that don't suit your size and ability would just make the game more difficult - and you don't need to make it any more difficult than it already is !!

huttonline

Club Champion
golfshot.com
I'm new to the game as well, and have benefited greatly from some lessons with a Pro. I was given a set of irons as a gift, which was great, although I had to have them extended as they were too short for me.

Adey

Visit site
thank you all for your advice I have booked lessons and having my first one next Saturday so I will keep you all posted on what advice I was given,

Soon as I can play a decent round of golf I will probably save my pennies up and get some new shiny clubs.javascript:void(0)

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
I've just started playing too (five months ago), but the first time I picked up a club (with a view to playing) was when I had my first lesson with my Pro. Plenty of time on the practice range in between lessons practicing what I've been taught. Looking forward to my third lesson now and building up the courage to get on the local 9 holer.

PS. I bought some Wilson Di7's in the American Golf sale for £199. A decent set of clubs reasonably priced, with money left to pay for lessons.