Older and New Golfer, Back and Shoulder Issues, Slow Swing/Club Speed

cmac7203

Visit site
61 years old. Disabled from USN with L4-S1 issues, rotator repair right shoulder, left shoulder clavicle excision. New at golf (part of VA recreational therapy program) and my swing speed is only mid- to high 50s. And I feel like I am swinging pretty briskly at that. I was given a set of older Ping G-15 clubs. Not sure what to do. Quit? Play from the front (red) tees? Buy ladies graphite shafts?

Thanks,

Charlie

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you enjoy playing then do whatever is required. Playing with either seniors shafts or ladies shafts is no deal at all. I'm 53, dodgy back, glacial swing speed and have a lightweight seniors shaft in my driver. When I get round to changing my irons, I'll be doing the same. Nobody comments, nobody looks, nobody cares.

As for the tees, if it's the difference between playing or not, play from the reds. Clear it with your club, for backwards reasons there is still an issue with men playing off reds, but then get on with it.

Some clubs have already ditched the whole men's and ladies tees, it's the future, so hopefully you shouldn't have any issues at all.

Best of luck, don't let stigmas stop you from playing.

cmac7203

Visit site
Thanks! As I've researched the tee colors I get a lot of different stories. Some say it's mens and womens, seniors. Others say it's all about handicap.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks! As I've researched the tee colors I get a lot of different stories. Some say it's mens and womens, seniors. Others say it's all about handicap.
Different places have different rules and colours for tees.

Ours are now all useable by men and women and rated for both.

If you enjoy the game try different shafts etc but getting a length that suits you is probably as important as the stiffness and you may find some womens clubs a little short.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Historically it went

Reds : Ladies
Yellows: Mens social / Seniors
Whites : Mens competition

Some places may have different colours but this is largely right.

In other countries they don't talk about gender for the tees, they talk about ability and handicap. Low h/c go off whites, mid go off yellow, high go off reds. There is a move towards this in this country as well. It makes sense, particularly for players ad they get older and naturally lose distance. I'm sure we will go down this road at most clubs eventually but if you have played much golf then you will know that the wheels of change are painfully slow.

In essence, before you play at a club it may be worth checking they are okay if you play off the red tees. I'd be staggered if they said no but then golf can be odd like that sometimes. It just gives you backup if anyone on the course says anything. I really dislike typing this paragraph but I suspect it is better done than not.

I hope the above makes sense. Fire away with any other questions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks! Sounds like I can just swap out my current steel shafts for the lightweight graphites and carry on smartly.
Not really.
without getting to technical you will change the swingweight and might make them harder to hit.!
swingweight is how heavy the head is when you swing it,

A lot of graphite shafts won’t fit in heads that have steel shafts. ( bore sizes and parallel or tapered fit).
So some research is nessesary ! Ask in Ask the Experts.

gold luck with your game