Trainers for golf

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Off to Spain in a fortnight, for a boys weekend, and playing just one round.

I wasn’t planning on taking golf shoes, as it’s bone dry out there at the moment and most golf shoes tend to look like trainers these days anyway. Luggage allowance is very small.

There'll be no problem with that will there?

D

Deleted member 1147

Can you grip well enough in trainers?
Never tried it myself.

Smoj

Visit site
for what its worth I have 4 pairs of spike golf shoes and 4 pairs of spikeless shoes
and if its a bit wet - dewy mornings/raining/been raining I would tend to go spikes, just because subcontiously I think I will have more grip.
I also would wear spikeless if it was a bit damp, just because I cba to carry another pair of shoes in my bag. as long as they're waterpoof, which most are. I've never had a problem with spikeless in damp conditions.

In the summer I would tend to wear spikeless because the ground is too hard. and too hot for leather/waterpoof spiked golfshoes.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
for what its worth I have 4 pairs of spike golf shoes and 4 pairs of spikeless shoes
and if its a bit wet - dewy mornings/raining/been raining I would tend to go spikes, just because subcontiously I think I will have more grip.
I also would wear spikeless if it was a bit damp, just because I cba to carry another pair of shoes in my bag. as long as they're waterpoof, which most are. I've never had a problem with spikeless in damp conditions.

In the summer I would tend to wear spikeless because the ground is too hard. and too hot for leather/waterpoof spiked golfshoes.
I wear spikeless all year round without any issues. Need a decent spikeless though like FJ or UA. I can’t imagine my Pumas would grip much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't wear casual type trainers with no grip at all, but I imagine something like an outdoor running trainer would be fine. With a decent tread on it. As you say, some trainers and summer golf shoes are barely distinguishable from each other nowadays. I can't remember the last time anyone in any pro shop actually checked my footwear either to be honest.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Playing golf bare-footed is fun. In warm weather, of course.
Bunker shots and putting are particularly enjoyable.
Haven't done it for a while.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wouldn’t go abroad with just a single pair of shoes

Just pack a lightweight pair of spikeless in your golf bag like the adidas ones which you can wear after golf but have a pair of trainers as well

sunshine

Visit site
The golf club won’t care about your shoes. All my golf shoes look like trainers now anyway.

Even though it’s warm and sunny, usually courses in Spain are heavily watered, so your shoes could get soaked if you walk through the rough, plus the grip from trainers may not be ideal.

Your best option is a pair of spikeless waterproof golf shoes like the the Air Max 270 that Brian posted (other shoes available). I had these and you can wear them off the course no problem. In fact I’m currently wearing a pair of puma original G golf shoes and I’m sitting in my office in central London