Golf Clothing / Dress-code

Diamond

Visit site
I like to wear golf shorts whenever possible and have Callaway and Adidas. I hate wearing a jacket so have a Puma body warmer which I invariably take off after the first hole and if a tad cool the 2nd hole. I have 2 pairs of golf shoes Puma soft spikes and Nike Air Golf treads which I wear when it is dry. I do own Adidas waterproofs which I spent a lot of money on but I know they will last.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I get that courses want to maintain dress codes, but what I find laughable is the club house rules in some clubs. Like some aging, fat bloke wearing the wardrobe from Crusty the clown can sit and have a pint, yet if someone comes into the clubhouse in jeans there's an uproar!?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Cheers for the replies :)

I already own a couple of CK golf polos as I like the fit/price so I’m good there but I’m really struggling to find anywhere that would do trousers to fit, I need a 30w but everything seems to start at 32w, and the only 30w trousers I’ve found (SportsDirect Slazenger ones - 2 for £17) are in regular fit which will be huge on my smaller frame (I need tailored/slim fit). As for shoes I’ll worry about that after a few rounds, I’ve got a few pairs of standard trainers that should do, and looking at the more recent releases of golf shoes they seem to have stopped the classic look and adopted a more modern twist (when the time comes would people advise Spikes or Spikeless?).

Thanks again,

Next slim fit chinos for £22 should resolve your trouser issue, cheap, simple and comfortable, and available in a host of colours. Wouldn't wear trainers unless it is a public pay and play course, best to check on the club web site. I wear spikeless shoes most of the year, only drag the spikes out when seriously muddy or frozen.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I’ve ordered a few pairs to try on next day delivery and to say I’m disappointed is an understatement....

The first pair, Adidas Ultimate 365, these are highly rated across the internet so I had high expectations, they definitely wowed me, but not in a good way. Everyone else seems to regard these as comfy, made of great material etc etc but personally it felt like I had stretched a plastic carrier bag around my legs, the quality felt horrible and the material horrendous. If these are 5 star rated I’m worried to try the rest...

Next up was a pair of Nike Flex Slim Core, well I don’t know who does the sizing at Nike but I’m swimming in these, I’d definitely need to size down.... but I can’t as 30” is the smallest they do (I’d say they fit like a 32” and are roomy throughout) again the material has no weight or quality to it, very thin and really underwhelming.

Finally were some Under Armour Performance, again the fit was a little out and 30’s are as small as they go, I’m starting to notice a trend here as they had a similar weight and feel to the previous pants, very stretchy and not at all what I was expecting.

So three pants down and no joy, I have no idea how anyone would manage to get these to look like they do in the photos either as all three pairs were a creased mess and a nightmare to try and iron so they resembled anything even close to their advertised photos. All of them seemed to share this super stretchy type material which I’m totally not a fan of, that plus they were about as thin as a plastic carrier bag makes them a big no no for me.

Not sure what to try next or if just regular chinos is the best route as I don’t seem to get along with the golf specific type trousers on the market.
I'm with you mate. Golf trousers mostly seem to be made by the same guy that made these.

mc-hammer-hammertime-1991-billboard-650-compressed.jpg

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I found Under Armour the worst offender. I put them on and they seemed ok, but when I looked at my arse in the mirror there was enough spare material to clothe a large family.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends. A municipal pay and play may have more relaxed dress codes than others (although not a given). A cheap polo and pair of trousers from Primark would be sufficient along with a cheap pair of golf shoes. I would suggest checking the club website if you are playing as a guest

Primark chino shorts are perfect and about a tenner.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I get that courses want to maintain dress codes, but what I find laughable is the club house rules in some clubs. Like some aging, fat bloke wearing the wardrobe from Crusty the clown can sit and have a pint, yet if someone comes into the clubhouse in jeans there's an uproar!?
Don't let it bother you too much - plenty of us find a bit laughable that some seem to think loudmouth clothing cool or somehow indicative of their being a bit 'zany'. You gotta be the right sort of person to get away with it. Some are - but in my experience most aren't :)

As it happens many clubs (mine included) have relaxed their dress rules for when in the clubhouse to allow jeans and trainers.