How far would you financially support yout club at this time?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I renewed last week.

I would be miserable if I wasn't a member and would be upset if the club had serious financial problems and by not renewing I'd contributed to them (well that what my wife said to me when I suggested not renewing)

Both Mrs Hogie and I still being paid in full and the monthly cost of my subs is a sunk and accounted for outgoing. I have budgeted to pay it - I will continue to pay it. My club needs it.

Club Directors (all members) have issued a statement that if we lose 1-4months golf this year (not allowed out of house on non-essential purpose) then club will share 50/50 the pro-rata value of that lost time. So if we lose 4 months then we share about £550 50/50. That £275 is then split and taken off our renewals for 21/22 and 22/23. If you lose your job and on monthly payments, then payments can be halted and you can temporarily move to social membership if you wish.

One advantage of being a member's club decisions made by members taking into account the needs and best interests of the members.

We are very fortunate that we do not rely on societies and visitors green fees and to have a full membeship.

Fabia999

Visit site
I've paid my membership in full already. I'd be more than happy to go down and help out if necessary. However, I wouldn't offer anything extra.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I’ve been on the verge of joining a club (properly, not the associate thing I have now), and I’m torn between joining now, in the hope it will give them a little bit of support, or keeping my money, in case they don’t survive.

I say I’m torn, but my wife is a self employed yoga instructor, so she has lost all of her income, so really, I should be more concerned with supporting us, not a club.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am probably going to cop a lot of flack for this but I would not be paying anything extra. I have never found a golf club that was 'home' to me and as such they have been a series of places that I have gone to do an activity in the same way as the gym etc. Interestingly my gym, which is a small, independent one and not a large one or part of a chain, immediately suspended all DD on Friday when the announcements were made and the PTs are all doing free home workouts every day on Instagram. The golf club, on the other hand, will struggle through this year I suspect and then make a significant 'one off' hike in fees next year to cover the losses.

My circumstance is slightly different in that I advised the club that I was not signing up for next year a few weeks ago as the current price increase meant that it was not justifiable with the amount of golf I play but I suspect that with this all coming about, if I had not resigned my membership, I would be doing so now. With competitive golf wiped out for the foreseeable, the lack of scrutiny of social distancing with friendly golf and the potential course closures for much of the summer, it is just not an expense I can justify. Maybe some here are willing to pay out a few hundred quid for nothing but I cannot do that and would rather divert those funds to my family or, above that, to supporting the owners of my village pub who will be struggling as much, if not more, than the golf club.

Siolag

Visit site
I am probably going to cop a lot of flack for this but I would not be paying anything extra. I have never found a golf club that was 'home' to me and as such they have been a series of places that I have gone to do an activity in the same way as the gym etc. Interestingly my gym, which is a small, independent one and not a large one or part of a chain, immediately suspended all DD on Friday when the announcements were made and the PTs are all doing free home workouts every day on Instagram. The golf club, on the other hand, will struggle through this year I suspect and then make a significant 'one off' hike in fees next year to cover the losses.

My circumstance is slightly different in that I advised the club that I was not signing up for next year a few weeks ago as the current price increase meant that it was not justifiable with the amount of golf I play but I suspect that with this all coming about, if I had not resigned my membership, I would be doing so now. With competitive golf wiped out for the foreseeable, the lack of scrutiny of social distancing with friendly golf and the potential course closures for much of the summer, it is just not an expense I can justify. Maybe some here are willing to pay out a few hundred quid for nothing but I cannot do that and would rather divert those funds to my family or, above that, to supporting the owners of my village pub who will be struggling as much, if not more, than the golf club.

Tbh, that’s entirely fair enough!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it is important to make the distinction between a gym and a golf club. In almost every case a gym is a profit seeking enterprise so they are aware that your fees have generated profits for them in return for a service. It's only right and fair that they suspend those fees when the facility isn't open, regardless of the reasoning. Operating a business is not risk free, and nor should it be.

For most of us who are members of member owned clubs, your club is not a profit seeking enterprise. It is running for the benefit of it's members and to provide a golf facility, and often a catering, bar, function facility.

I have only been at my club for a few years, but it is certainly somewhere I feel part of and would hate to think it wouldn't survive this. Personal feeling is that it is pretty well run and they certainly have a fairly big operation that I reckon they could cut down if they had to. But, like most clubs, I don't think there will be much in the pot... and if 30 or 40 members don't pay their fees then that's a big hole that I doubt could be filled by cost cutting.

If your club is a privately owned business then I'd be more than happy to treat it the same as a gym... assuming you can live with things if it closed and was never a golf course again?

D

Deleted member 21258

Paid my subs for the next year on all clubs. That's the financial support I have given. Hope I will be able to re-join next year, but depends on my own business.

Wouldn't donate money to the club, as being brutally honest there are better causes to support in these times.

Big Stevo

Visit site
The current estimate is 30% of golf clubs will close by the end of the crisis.

What happens then depends on the state of the economy and how quickly (if?) it recovers.

But generally less supply = more demand = higher prices.

The danger is golf becomes an Elite sport for the wealthy only.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The current estimate is 30% of golf clubs will close by the end of the crisis.

What happens then depends on the state of the economy and how quickly (if?) it recovers.

But generally less supply = more demand = higher prices.

The danger is golf becomes an Elite sport for the wealthy only.
Where did you get this estimate from ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I renewed last week.

I would be miserable if I wasn't a member and would be upset if the club had serious financial problems and by not renewing I'd contributed to them (well that what my wife said to me when I suggested not renewing)

Both Mrs Hogie and I still being paid in full and the monthly cost of my subs is a sunk and accounted for outgoing. I have budgeted to pay it - I will continue to pay it. My club needs it.

Club Directors (all members) have issued a statement that if we lose 1-4months golf this year (not allowed out of house on non-essential purpose) then club will share 50/50 the pro-rata value of that lost time. So if we lose 4 months then we share about £550 50/50. That £275 is then split and taken off our renewals for 21/22 and 22/23. If you lose your job and on monthly payments, then payments can be halted and you can temporarily move to social membership if you wish.

One advantage of being a member's club decisions made by members taking into account the needs and best interests of the members.

We are very fortunate that we do not rely on societies and visitors green fees and to have a full membeship.

so, if they are forced to close and effectively lose their job you still have to pay 50% fee. you lose your job and your put on the shelf!!! how about you pay half your green fee and make up the rest in 2021/22 and 23/24 unless I've read that wrong.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
so, if they are forced to close and effectively lose their job you still have to pay 50% fee. you lose your job and your put on the shelf!!! how about you pay half your green fee and make up the rest in 2021/22 unless I've read that wrong.
The club might not have any lost time, but if it does it will split it 50/50 with the members, I fail to see what's so controversial about that

Big Stevo

Visit site
Where did you get this estimate from ?

Can't find it now, but the number stuck in my head as i work in the industry. Think it was 1 of the official Scottish bodies.

Appreciate no one knows at this point and it is at best an educated guess, however after revenues took a beating this winter, a summer shutdown would be a real problem for many.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't find it now, but the number stuck in my head as i work in the industry. Think it was 1 of the official Scottish bodies.

Appreciate no one knows at this point and it is at best and educated guess, however after revenues took a beating this winter, a summer shutdown would be a real problem for many.
I'm going to take that a answer as it was plucked out of thin air. Given you work in the industry, it's hardly surprising your coming away with this talk as youd rather everyone paid

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
why should members be paying anything at all? if you can't play you don't pay.
Every year fees are played in advance, the course has to budget for overheads etc why should this year be any different given the course is still going to have the same outgoings

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every year fees are played in advance, the course has to budget for overheads etc why should this year be any different given the course is still going to have the same outgoings
but does it. if the club gets closed are overheads the same? I genuinely don't know. I know that the green keepers have less of a role to keep the course "manageable". but with government help with rates, tax and staff payments do you forsee overheads being the same weather open or closed. that's a geniue question as I don't know how golf clubs financially run

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
but does it. if the club gets closed are overheads the same? I genuinely don't know. I know that the green keepers have less of a role to keep the course "manageable". but with government help with rates, tax and staff payments do you forsee overheads being the same weather open or closed. that's a geniue question as I don't know how golf clubs financially run
I suspect most of their costs are fairly fixed. Course upkeep has to happen whatever. The sec, golf manager etc will still be getting paid unless the closure of clubhouses is classed as closure of the business. The course is still open, greenkeepers being paid, so that could be murky. Apply that to all other staff then, they get paid or laid off. No idea if rates will be suspended for golf clubs. Lots of businesses are not getting any rates assistance, my company does not for example and we are only small. There is a criteria to meet, not based on profit or value. If they do get assistance then that is a big bonus.

A lot of clubs also need green fees and bar takings to survive. Members fees alone are not enough.

They will save on heating, lighting and part time bar staff wages, assuming that is how they work with some employees. Not a huge amount else though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simple for me in that club has been a very large part of my life over the past 30 years. I would hate to see it go under simply because it is the best club in the area. To go to another club that I would consider would cost about an extra £15 in fuel a week so that is £750 approximately just to stay even.

There has been many an occasion where the club has asked us to dip in to a pockets above and beyond annual subs I did it then and would have no problem with doing it again.

One of the difficulties is going to be that this is membership renewal month I from what I am hearing there probably will be quite few not renewing eg waiting for their letters from the government.

Mind you if the club was to close completely I would get a share of the sale proceeds if it were sold.