How does your Club process Regular Club 'Q' Competitions?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Club presently processes Club Comps by A, below & has 3 Q Comps week with a field of approx 70 players at a weekend & considering using a Club-house 'Live Leader Board'.

I'm interested to know how other Clubs do this...

A. - Completed card goes straight in Comp Box for H/Cap team to process.

B. - Players enter own scores at Club Computer terminal, then card in Comp Box

Also Keen to know....

C. - How many, approx, enter a typical week-end Comp?

D. - Do you have a 'Live Leader Board' in the Club-House or on-line? Opinions on this, please.

And H/Cap team folk, please....

E. - What's your policy/strategy on checking the B process, cards?...

F. - What's the major problems/pitfalls with the process?

G. - In main season, how many Q Comps a week do you have?

All contributions welcome.... Thanks :thup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

All done via the PSI terminal for club systems

Players enter the score into the PSI

The next day I will close the comp off on club systems and publish the result to HDID

Live leaderboard on the PSI

Each scorecard is given a quick score check with the top 5 checked on each hole etc

We have approx 4/5 qualifiers a month

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All done via the PSI terminal for club systems

Players enter the score into the PSI

The next day I will close the comp off on club systems and publish the result to HDID

Live leaderboard on the PSI

Each scorecard is given a quick score check with the top 5 checked on each hole etc

We have approx 4/5 qualifiers a month

Thanks Phil..... typically, how many in weekend Comps? Which Club are you at?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
B. Players enter scores into terminal, then put their card in a box.

I'd guesstimate about 100 players in a weekend comp.

We 'sort of' have a live leaderboard.
Their is a screen in the bar that mirrors the input screen in the lobby. When nobody is entering a score it cycles through however many pages of scores there are until the next player uses the screen to enter a score.

The only exception is our midweek comps which are the only ones you don't have to pre-enter. This was to stop players looking at the scores already in and deciding not to play.
We still use the screen to enter scores, but no leaderboard is shown.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
B. Players enter scores into terminal, then put their card in a box.

I'd guesstimate about 100 players in a weekend comp.

We 'sort of' have a live leaderboard.
Their is a screen in the bar that mirrors the input screen in the lobby. When nobody is entering a score it cycles through however many pages of scores there are until the next player uses the screen to enter a score.

The only exception is our midweek comps which are the only ones you don't have to pre-enter. This was to stop players looking at the scores already in and deciding not to play.
We still use the screen to enter scores, but no leaderboard is shown.

Cheers mate...... yes, some of ours have concerns that a Leader-board may put folk off entering.... however I wonder if anyone knows of a Club, other than mine, that still operate, the time consuming, system 'A'

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers mate...... yes, some of ours have concerns that a Leader-board may put folk off entering....

It isn't a problem with drawn comps because most of the field have gone out before any scores are returned (as well as people have already committed to playing a week or two previously), but the midweek ones you can turn up and play any time during the day without entering beforehand.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its A for us, we don't operate player entry of scores although the handicapmaster software certainly supports that.

Our course is closing so bear in mind that we are down to a literally a handful of diehard members that are still here playing competition golf.

In our hey day we probably had 60 members at the weekend comp. We only showed live leaderboard on club championship day otherwise didn't bother with it and this was on a big screen in the clubhouse not online. I processed the cards immediately after the comp and everything was updated on the CDH and online web portal pretty much there and then in most cases.

I would update supplemental scores 1-2 week.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our Club presently processes Club Comps by A, below & has 3 Q Comps week with a field of approx 70 players at a weekend & considering using a Club-house 'Live Leader Board'.

Also Keen to know....

D. - Do you have a 'Live Leader Board' in the Club-House or on-line? Opinions on this, please.

B Players enter own scores at Club Computer terminal, then card in Comp Box

C. - How many, approx, enter a typical week-end Comp? Approx 160+

D. - Do you have a 'Live Leader Board' in the Club-House or on-line? Opinions on this, please. Nope , personally not a fan of knowing scores & we have too many idiots in our place who might not play if good score in

NOT on the handicap side but..

E. - What's your policy/strategy on checking the B process, cards?.. Cards in the prizes are checked the rest are not as there are too many

F. - What's the major problems/pitfalls with the process? You dont have to sign in on our computer , you can just enter score when you are done, We have alot of people who dont bother returning their scores so the computer never sees them as having played & their score is not calculated in css , i have suggested that you have to sign in before you get handed your card but its not changed , alota time required to manually check the day book against cards returned

In main season, how many Q Comps a week do you have? Open every Tuesday & a club comp over Sat & Sun.. One open week (7days usually 3 qualifiers)per year & 2 mini opens with maybe 2Q in each .. not sure what total that is tho sorry

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
B Players enter own scores at Club Computer terminal, then card in Comp Box

C. - How many, approx, enter a typical week-end Comp? Approx 160+

D. - Do you have a 'Live Leader Board' in the Club-House or on-line? Opinions on this, please. Nope , personally not a fan of knowing scores & we have too many idiots in our place who might not play if good score in

NOT on the handicap side but..

E. - What's your policy/strategy on checking the B process, cards?.. Cards in the prizes are checked the rest are not as there are too many

F. - What's the major problems/pitfalls with the process? You dont have to sign in on our computer , you can just enter score when you are done, We have alot of people who dont bother returning their scores so the computer never sees them as having played & their score is not calculated in css , i have suggested that you have to sign in before you get handed your card but its not changed , alota time required to manually check the day book against cards returned

In main season, how many Q Comps a week do you have? Open every Tuesday & a club comp over Sat & Sun.. One open week (7days usually 3 qualifiers)per year & 2 mini opens with maybe 2Q in each .. not sure what total that is tho sorry

Thanks for your response
So is your 'Day Book' for tee-times rather than entering the Competition? How do you check Comp fees.... sorry, not meaning to be nosey... just interested in how others work :D
We only recently introduced a 1 match ban for cards not returned... very successful as very few bans & much more responsible behavior.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its A for us, we don't operate player entry of scores although the handicapmaster software certainly supports that.

Our course is closing so bear in mind that we are down to a literally a handful of diehard members that are still here playing competition golf.

In our hey day we probably had 60 members at the weekend comp. We only showed live leaderboard on club championship day otherwise didn't bother with it and this was on a big screen in the clubhouse not online. I processed the cards immediately after the comp and everything was updated on the CDH and online web portal pretty much there and then in most cases.

I would update supplemental scores 1-2 week.

Before falling numbers.... was there a particular reason for staying with A system?.... Thanks for your response by the way :thup:

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk

Also Keen to know....

C. - How many, approx, enter a typical week-end Comp? Medals - 150+; Others 70 - 150 depending on format

D. - Do you have a 'Live Leader Board' in the Club-House or on-line? Opinions on this, please. Sometimes; I like it.

G. - In main season, how many Q Comps a week do you have? 6 per month

All info relates to the men's section, the ladies have far more Q comps.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your response
So is your 'Day Book' for tee-times rather than entering the Competition? How do you check Comp fees.... sorry, not meaning to be nosey... just interested in how others work :D
We only recently introduced a 1 match ban for cards not returned... very successful as very few bans & much more responsible behavior.
No bother at all
Day book is when you check into shop & pay on the day of the comp ..i guess this is how they check the cash taken in is equal to the number of people entered

We book our tee times on BRS system

We turn up on the morning/day , go into shop and pay the person in the shop , they write us in the day book (&whether you are in the 2's or not)
take the entry fee & hand write you your card ..

We had a system in place years ago for the captains prize , where you had to sign in on the computer , this generated a sticker that was printed in the shop with name & handicap detail on it , you handed over your cash & got ur card ..

I think they still like the manual pen & book way of checking the money in our place tho

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a terminal in the proshop to self input but if the guy in the shop is bored he offers to input on your behalf so "drop and go"

Average # in comp is 30-40 on a Saturday Comp and 80+ on a Sunday

The terminal in the pro shop shows best score from those input to date I think but not visible in bar/clubhouse

# Comps per week in main season would be 3-4 (inc Seniors, Juniors etc)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Didn't spot this one Dave.

We enter card in club computer terminal, and then put card in the box. Computer shows the running scores.

Yes we have a live leader board in the lounge for some competitions, and have never heard that this puts players off entering. I usually play at about 9.30 so no scores showing when I tee off. Usually a fair bit of light hearted chat in the bar afterwards when we see the scores. Our comps have start sheet which is booked online. Live scores are not available online as far as I am aware.

Our board/medals etc competitions have 120 - 160 entering.

We have midweek medals/ stableford qualifying comps, as well as weekend comps throughout the year. Some of the midweek ones can have less than 20 play in them. Weekend ones are very well supported though.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello mate, as requested. :thup:

Yes, the box is under the score input screen.

B. - Players enter own scores at Club Computer terminal, then card in Comp Box.

Yes, deterrents in place for serial offenders, as despite numerous reminders, there are always some right lazy sods about.

Also Keen to know....

Normally 90-100 throughout the spring and summer months.

Yes, scouser's score is normally on page 8 and gary in derry's on page 3.;)

We also have to sign in before entering the comp on the computer, so checked against this also.

Luckily we have a fantastic lady on our committee who does this job excellently. We have had to bring in deterrents about not signing in, entering your score on the computer etc as it does affect CSS etc and makes our job a hell of a lot easier.

Although there were serial offenders, not so many now.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Also Keen to know....

B at our place unless you're a late entrant in which case you're not on the computer, there's also a live leaderboard in the bar for entrants who've put their score in the computer. The cards in the box are generally collected by one of the committee to sort out and check through which I imagine is normal.
There were roughly 130 in the comp last Saturday (which I won ;)) however it was a board comp so maybe slightly reduced numbers for a normal weekend medal. Usually only one comp on a weekend IIRC but there's often Ladies and Seniors competitions on the other free day of the weekend. We have midweek medals most Wednesdays with reduced numbers, maybe 70 or so in this.

We tried a 9 hole competition the other Friday which I really enjoyed but it brought up all kinds of hassle apparently and it looks to have been dropped.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Pete... also wondered if besides checking for 'signed card' & correct handicap, do you check all cards hole by hole or perhaps just those earning reductions & a sample of the rest??

PS... Cheers Martyn :thup: