How your Club handles Competition Cards

How does your Club deal with Competition Cards

• We return scores via the PSI/App but all cards must go in the Comp Box

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • We return scores via the PSI/App & use an email system for checking winning cards.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Exclusively use marker verification using ISP (ie HDIDo, H/cap Master, IG) but still use a Comp Box

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Exclusively use marker verification via our ISP (ie HDIDo, H/cap Master, IG) so don't use a Comp Box

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following on from Covid when systems were put in place to avoid cards being physically handled I'm interested to know if Clubs have continued or adapted ways of checking winning cards that mean the H/cap team doesn't need to actually handle cards anymore?
We have members record their scores via the PSI without verification or by the HDIDo App & ask that they retain their cards for a few days until the Comp is closed. For Board & Trophy Competitions we request the winners to supply an image of their for checking........ all other Medal & Stableford rounds go unchecked as we no longer use a Comp Box for cards so rely on members' integrity.

D

Deleted member 15344

Other

Card to be submitted into IG app or PSI

Card then put into the box or picture taken via IG App

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Players enter their own scores via Masterscoreboard - this involves identifying the player who verified the scores. Players are required to retain scorecards for two weeks in case the committee decides to call in the card for any reason.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours depends on the competition. Medals and board comps are input on the screen with the cards put in the box, pro shop stablefords are IG app or screen with no cards required (although most put them in out of habit)

wjemather

Visit site
Interested to know how committees that do not use electronic scorecards (i.e. not just score entry) and do not require a scorecard to be returned (either physically or digitally) square their procedure with the rules of golf that require the player to "promptly return it (their scorecard) to the Committee" (failure to do so being a DQ).

LizAig

Visit site
Our Club comp secretary won’t turn on the enhanced marker system on Club V1 so we still have to return paper score cards. It’s very frustrating that the technology is there but not used!

Swango1980

Visit site
Our Club comp secretary won’t turn on the enhanced marker system on Club V1 so we still have to return paper score cards. It’s very frustrating that the technology is there but not used!
How frustrating though? Surely the alternative, signing a card and putting it in a box isn't too much effort?

I'm all for using technology if it really improves the experience for the golfers, or makes things a lot easier for the competition organisers. However, as a golfer, I have no issues whatsoever filling in a physical card, signing it and returning it. And, if the competition secretary is quite happy collecting and checking these, then that seems fair enough as well. I'm not a believer that if the technology simply exists, it should be used under all circumstances. It is simply there to be used by those who feel they will benefit from it based on their preferences.

LizAig

Visit site
How frustrating though? Surely the alternative, signing a card and putting it in a box isn't too much effort?

I'm all for using technology if it really improves the experience for the golfers, or makes things a lot easier for the competition organisers. However, as a golfer, I have no issues whatsoever filling in a physical card, signing it and returning it. And, if the competition secretary is quite happy collecting and checking these, then that seems fair enough as well. I'm not a believer that if the technology simply exists, it should be used under all circumstances. It is simply there to be used by those who feel they will benefit from it based on their preferences.
Im talking from the H&C side - I’d much rather not have to make a journey to the club just to check score cards.

Default Golfer

Visit site
We use IG with scorecard photo upload and the vast majority of players are comfortable with this. The odd one or two players email a photo doing it either themselves or by asking a partner or the Pro Shop.

Our PSI touchscreen had broken anyway and we haven't had to replace it and we've removed the scorecard posting box.

As competition secretary, it is so much easier to process competitions as I can do everything I need to remotely and promptly rather than have a 20 mile round trip to the golf club.

RichA

Visit site
We've only ever submitted physical cards. Comp secretary manually enters all scores into a laptop. MyEG use in comps is prohibited as it would result in a double entry.

sunshine

Visit site
Other

Card to be submitted into IG app or PSI

Card then put into the box or picture taken via IG App
Same. I take a photo of the signed card and submit it on the IG app, and then post it in the box as well.
Seems a bit duplicative, but maybe the competition team prefer to look at the physical card rather than just photos.

sunshine

Visit site
Classic golf club mentality. If it’s not broken why fix it. No desire to improve or move with the times.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Classic golf club mentality. If it’s not broken why fix it. No desire to improve or move with the times.
It's not "classic" at all. Both my clubs have triued (due to covid) the App route, one with SG App, one with HDID, and gone back to scorecards because in SG case the App isn't up to the job but we'd still be on scorecards regardless as it's easier to administer, and in the HDID case because there were too many input errors and dodgy scoring on App only.

As you say it wasn't broken, there was no need for a fix, plus if only some can use the App it's chaotic, especially the SG App.