How does this happen??!!

peld

Visit site
I’m a 15 hcp and have been playing really well over winter.
On Saturday I played in the winter league on our championship course (albeit in winter set up), and shot 84 (+11), 41 points, despite needing 42 putts!. I hit 14 greens in regulation.
On Sunday I played our shorter course and shot 74 (+6), again putting poorly (36 putts, missed a lot of 6footers). Probably my lowest ever score.

Full of confidence I have just been the driving range. From 100 balls I’ve hit maximum 10 properly. I must have shanked or topped 50 balls. The rest were all huge pulls or hooks. I probably looked like it was the first time I have ever picked up a club.

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?!?! Any other tales of spectacular falls from grace?

birdyhunter

Visit site
It's fairly typical.. I've been a few over par standing on the 16th tee thinking that this could be my best round ever... then you think about the scorecard and it all goes wrong and I barely buffered.

42 putts is a lot, at least 6 x 3-putts - it's the old story that if you work on your short game and putting then the rest will come together. I'm sure you've got a decent round in you.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Golf. Even tour pros hit 65 one day and then 75 the next. In some ways, it is what makes it such a great game.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is golf

Last year within a few weeks of each other I shot my best round of the year 3 over gross and my worst ever round in many a year adjusted gross 25 over, there were 6 NRs on the card 2 double bogeys, just one par and one birdie.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Never a fall from grace but quite the opposite...

Never really got on with playing at Thorpeness but one day in a society event I managed 1 point on the front nine and 24 points on the back nine (playing off 7).

eddie_1878

Visit site
Not exactly a fall from grace but my last round, an 88, was my best and my subsequent visits to the range, lessons and a fitting have been embarrassingly poor. I literally don’t think i hit it as poorly when I first started playing!

I’ve made a thread on this before but I struggle to hit it off a matt for some reason. Similar scenario- shanks, hooks, thin, fat. The ones that went straight-ish were 20-30 yards shorter than usual.

I don’t seem to have that consistent level of shitness on the course (relatively speaking). While I could just not go the range, the poor range sessions point to a fundamental floor in my swing, which is quite concerning.