How do you measure success?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good question. Obviously the ultimate aim s to beat my h'cap and get cut but I don't think you can judge a round on score alone.

Over the years I've become rather relaxed about what score I get. Obviously I'm desperate to score well but I can't force that to happen. There will be days when I hit the ball poorly and scramble well, there will be days when I score better than my shots deserved. For me however the thing that gives me most pleasure is hitting the ball well, that's what keeps me coming back. Take Sunday as an example, I scored 3 over my h'cap but struck the ball beautifully. I misjudged the wind on occasion and can think of probably 6 bad shots and 3 of those were the 1st 3 shots of the round. Pretty much every shot went at it's target. I airmailed a couple of greens and came up short on others but in the main they were straight at the flag. The greens were semi-frozen which made chipping and putting a little tricky and I couldn't buy a putt but I came off the course feeling really good about my game as I know that on another day I could have easily been 6 or 7 shots better off.

My theory is the more often I can hit the ball well, the more often I'll give myself a chance to score well.

I'd almost go as far as to say I get more pleasure from scoring a couple over my h'cap having hit it well than scoring a couple under by srambling.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
To me, a successful round of golf is when i've got the best score i could get on that day. Not giving up when things get tricky. Whether you shoot -3 or +loads but knowing after the game that you gave it everything you had on that day.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
To me, a successful round of golf is when i've got the best score i could get on that day. Not giving up when things get tricky. Whether you shoot -3 or +loads but knowing after the game that you gave it everything you had on that day.

That just about sums it up how I see it, not so sure about the 3 under though! :)

Golfmmad.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
lots of things, different at different times
- finishing with the same ball in dodgy conditions
- a good recovery from a bad situation
- eagles and birdies
- beating your partner
- not letting your doubles partner down
- feeling that you've played as well as you could on the day

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Two that really please me are:-

- No 3 putts
- Only 2 or less penalty shots per round.
loads of water and trees/bushes to try and miss.
I think my average last year was just over 4 per round.

Reduce my penalties equals better score by some margin.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
A successful round for me, is if I walk off with a smile on my face, whether it is because I have played well, or the company has been good, or I enjoyed the experience(new course etc). Occaisionally, I can just be happy that I was swinging well even if the odd thing didnt go my way, I realise that you get days like that, so long as the ball is going where I would like, thats all I can control! :)

At the end of the season, I measure how good it has been by the change in my h'cap. This year, I was very pleased as I won a comp, final of the singles matchplay, and dropped to 10.4, I know i am playing better also, the course I am now at is tougher than previous course, css is 73 on par 72, was 71 par 72 at the old course, and I still came down, so very happy.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I measure my success in golf by my feel of the control of my game. If I felt I controlled the game well I feel I was successful and shot the best score I could have done on that occasion.

I rate a good day by how much fun I had. As my mug at work goes

"A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure you can really put a quantify success at golf. As others have said you can have alousy ball striking day and beat your handicap or even win a competition and others where every shot has been well struck but you just can't score.

I've taken pride at beating my handicap but also at making the buffer sometimes especially with a crap start to a round. I don't think GIR, FIR, putts etc are necessarily a measure of success but more a measure of performance which doesn't always mean the same thing.

At a push success to me is a decent round, good company on an interesting course in decent weather. It would be a success if I could get that everytime

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I measure my success by how straight im hitting my tee shots....I know its a bit cliche but thats where most of the damage to my cards comes....
If im scoring well its normally because im keeping the ball in play off the tee's.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
As i'm a fairly recent returnee to the game i dont have any hard targets to quantify success by really.

As long as i'm not playing hideous stuff there's usually a few good shots and the banter to make me enjoy the round.

One of the reasons im reluctant to set too many targets is that i (as an obsessive according to the wife) could lose sight of why i play in the first place if i start recording stats etc.