How Do You Know a Club is Good?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH the clubhouse and whats inside are the least important to me. Its all about the course..

Great towels, locker room and how you are treated means very little to me as i don't go there for that, but to play the course pure and simple

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To add to that. The marker doesnt need to cost the world. A nicely painted stone works just fine. Prefer smart, well maintained or quirky as long as its well presented.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played Moretonhampstead now Bovey Castle once, we were asked if we wouldn't mind kindly if we had our coffee in the corridor so as not to disturb the members in the bar area. All with a look like we had trapsed dog muck through the entrance.

Never been back surprisingly and have heard that since becoming Bovey Castle the have only disappeared further up their backside

It is a really nice 13 hole golf course though. The last 5 holes are a disappointment.

Back in the day I used to pay 25 for dinner bed and breakfast, with a round of golf thrown in every day.

I have heard that it is a bit more expensive these days.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
TBH the clubhouse and whats inside are the least important to me. Its all about the course..

Great towels, locker room and how you are treated means very little to me as i don't go there for that, but to play the course pure and simple

Fair do’s, the course & its condition are definitely important

I’m sure we’ve all done it but after turning up at courses to find the club house is locked up tight (when course open) or its little more than a portacabin, it does make a difference to my day out if the club is good as well as the course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I played a fabulous course recently but the clubhouse was stiff and stuck in a timewarp. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable and took the edge off the place for me. I couldn't be a member there, no matter how good the course was, and it was.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the ability to easily get your tee in the ground on a hot summers day.. basically a nice watered tee area .. doesnt take much effort for the groundsmen but its a nice touch.. rather than having to use a vice like grip to force in when the ground is baron

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Snap. Course is the main meal, everything else just garnish :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I look for a warm welcome and positive and helpful suggestions and directions from Pro/members etc. What I don't need when I turn up somewhere is to be hit by negatives and advice on what I can't do etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played a fabulous course recently but the clubhouse was stiff and stuck in a timewarp. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable and took the edge off the place for me. I couldn't be a member there, no matter how good the course was, and it was.

how long would you expect to spend in a club house compared to the course?

for me even eating at a place its a fraction of the time you spent on the course, so not important in the least.

A couple of times ive been to Muirfield on one of the SGU slots, we were treated like dirt by the catering staff, but we didn't go there for the food we went to play golf and its is a fantastic course so that's all that mattered. playing as a members guest is a whole different matter though;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the club's I am a member at has a guy greet you when you arrive at the Dormey House entrance, we have a driving range which is free for you and your guests and you get free tees pencils and a stroke saver from the starter. We also have half way houses on all 3 course which is a compulsory stop where you can have something hot to eat/drink or you can have a cold beer. The changing rooms have all the mod cons and towels are all free along with shower gel shampo etc plus there are a few guys work in the locker room who keep it tidy and will get you drinks from the bar while you shower and get ready and they also clean your golf shoes if you ask. Really is a great set up:thup:

Archerfield, Gleneagles ?

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

for me even eating at a place its a fraction of the time you spent on the course, so not important in the least.

A couple of times ive been to Muirfield on one of the SGU slots, we were treated like dirt by the catering staff, but we didn't go there for the food we went to play golf and its is a fantastic course so that's all that mattered. playing as a members guest is a whole different matter though;)

Interesting side question

I'd guess when visiting (assuming its welcoming) I spend maybe 30 minutes before having coffee, meeting PP's etc before I hit the range and about 1-2 hours after for shower, drinks, banter, bite to eat etc
So definitely less than the course time but significant enough for the place to matter

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there's a difference between what makes a course great and what makes a club great.

Of course the former is involved in the latter but not vise versa.

I think you can play a fantastic course but if you are treated like poo it will leave you feeling a bit underwhelmed, conversely you can play a middling course and if you are treated really well you can come away feeling like it was a much better course than you thought

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Paid just £7.50 to play twilight round at Betws-Y-Coed yesterday. That was good. Nice scenery, and the course had greened up with rain.

Places I would not recommend:
Little Aston. Never played it but it must be about as snooty as it's possible to get. I tried walking over it on a public footpath and a man on a buggy soon came over to make sure I wasn't trespassing. I understand women are not allowed to walk in front of the clubhouse.
Sutton Coldfield. Not far from Little Aston, and real segregation. I'm informed women have a separate clubhouse.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting side question

I'd guess when visiting (assuming its welcoming) I spend maybe 30 minutes before having coffee, meeting PP's etc before I hit the range and about 1-2 hours after for shower, drinks, banter, bite to eat etc
So definitely less than the course time but significant enough for the place to matter

This for me as well when playing an away club.

My point to this thread is what little touches lift a club from being a regular club to a classy one. It could be something obvious, it could be something minor, it is what floats your boat. The course itself is a given in these circumstances but even touches on the course can make a difference, ie ball washer and bin on every hole, a marker post for each tee, eg whites, yellows, reds not just one covering all 3. What impresses one person could be a meh for another.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Slab covered most of this but for me if anyone at a club treated me like dirt it would leave a sour taste, no matter the quality of the course. It is about the whole experience, not just one aspect. I would totally agree that the course is the reason to go to any club, the clubhouse is secondary by a long way, but once there I expect to be treated with courtesy and a smile. Having read your posts previously I am sure you must have played at Turnberry. By crikey they have got it right on and off the course and that makes you feel special for every moment you are there, not just when you are playing the 18 holes.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
My playing partner is adamant that the sign of a proper golf club is when you see members playing golf and walking their dog at the same time.