How do I approach the subject of slow play with my PP?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He is never 'ready to play' - he'll always watch everyone else play before preparing to take his shot. Announce on 1st tee that it’s ready golf this week and explain to those that look puzzled. Then remind as required through the round

He has a good 20 second routine before hitting a ball, including two or three practice swings. 20 seconds seems on the edge but perfectly acceptable, (glad you agree that it’s good)

He has head covers on his irons. This leads to more faffing around in finding the right club than it does stop damage to his irons. This one’s clouding you from the real reason for slow play I’m afraid. ½ a second to remove a cover is naff all (and if his covers don’t have little windows to id the club or club numbers on them buy him a new set for Easter)

He will stand next to a green marking his card, putting the head cover back on his putter and possibly his PW he used to chip onto the green, not getting out of the way of people behind and taking an age to move onto the next tee. Rest of group move off to next tee together, he’ll soon follow, I’ll wager at the moment at least one other in your group is staying with him on the green

He's not a particularly long hitter, but insists in honors on the tee rather than letting him tee off first. Back to reminding of ready golf in first point (take the tee when it’s his/others honour etc)

He's a proud man, who isn't influenced by the likes of Keegan Bradley's pre-shot routine, just set in his ways.

His average score is around the 100 mark. No bearing on pace of play

He doesn't like to use a buggy as it's 'anti-social' when everyone else is carrying / trollying... sharing a buggy with him is a nightmare, that isn't an option. Why might a buggy speed him up? Is it the speed he’s able to walk at that’s causing the majority of time lost on group in front?

So, what do I do? I'm becoming less tolerant of his play each week. I've started making a big fuss of letting people play through, as in making sure he's aware that the reason we're letting people play through is because of the long time we are taking to play each hole, and telling him that I feel like I'm under pressure when I know there is a group behind waiting to play and we're taking so long. And that isn't a lie, I feel like I'm rushing my shots and playing worse because of his slowness, trying to make up time by rushing my shots. Playing in a 2 ball 9 holes takes me under 1 1/2 hours, so I know I'm not a slow player. If the above fails then locker room is best place for a chat. When you’re toweling down walk over and tell him you enjoy catching up for the weekly golf but you want to move things on a bit... you’ll soon see how fast he can move!

Any help would be great. I'm not going to stop playing with him, he's part of the group and can't just shun him. I'm also not interested in getting rude or angry with him, again, this is friends and family we're talking about, not just a random I've met on the course. I feel like I'm having the fun sapped from my game, and being a 9-5 Monday to Friday kinda guy, my one game on a weekend can often be the highlight of the weekend! Playing once a week? I’d relax and enjoy it regardless of the time it takes

Hope you get things sorted out

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
We used to have exactly the same in our group, and whilst there is little you can do about certain things, we used to do the following:

1. No honours on the tee - whoever is ready first takes their shot and the rest follow.
2. As long as it's safe, everyone goes to their own ball to get ready for their shot, then plays in turn, furthest way first
3. If a putt is stone dead (within about 1-9 inches) it was given
4. We always played stableford, and if anyone couldn't score they were advised to pick up and move on

All of this helped massively, and as it happens the slow guy seems to be playing much better golf now too.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll be playing with him tomorrow, and will attempt to approach the subject if there is an opportunity.

I may even keep this thread open on my phone for the finer points! ;)

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought I'd just update the thread - we played twice over the bank holiday. The first game was a disaster, but by no fault of my PP. We played a round over 5 hours, with a society ahead of us who would not let us play through, even though the marshall told them to on the 13th, so there was no need to worry about slow play then!

The 2nd game I only stayed for 9 holes, and we were 1st out (8am Easter Sunday) so there was no problems there either.

However, our 5 hour+ round on Friday did highlight how infuriating it is for PP's and other groups on the course when a person / group is terribly slow. Hopefully he'll take it on board and speed up a bit this weekend!

D

Deleted member 15344

We had a meeting about one person causing problems

Been told that he now has to either play later in the day or use a buggy - before it was a suggestion to him. It appears he isn't happy about it.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I'd just update the thread - we played twice over the bank holiday. The first game was a disaster, but by no fault of my PP. We played a round over 5 hours, with a society ahead of us who would not let us play through, even though the marshall told them to on the 13th, so there was no need to worry about slow play then!

The 2nd game I only stayed for 9 holes, and we were 1st out (8am Easter Sunday) so there was no problems there either.

However, our 5 hour+ round on Friday did highlight how infuriating it is for PP's and other groups on the course when a person / group is terribly slow. Hopefully he'll take it on board and speed up a bit this weekend!

So essentially you have not covered the subject with him...... :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We had a meeting about one person causing problems

Been told that he now has to either play later in the day or use a buggy - before it was a suggestion to him. It appears he isn't happy about it.

I can understand why he wouldn't be happy about it - the exercise involved could well be a major reason why he plays - but he needs to accept that he is causing others a lot of grief!

Was it you that informed him Phil?:whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

I can understand why he wouldn't be happy about it - the exercise involved could well be a major reason why he plays - but he needs to accept that he is causing others a lot of grief!

Was it you that informed him Phil?:whistle:

He was informed by the club sec

C

c1973

For what it's worth I think honesty is always the best policy.

I'd tactfully point out that cards should be marked on the next tee, make a joke of it if it makes it easier. It should be easy enough to say to PPs that "we need to step up the pace folks" if your group is losing ground.

If he's a good friend I'd be confident he wouldn't be offended.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For what it's worth I think honesty is always the best policy.

I'd tactfully point out that cards should be marked on the next tee, make a joke of it if it makes it easier. It should be easy enough to say to PPs that "we need to step up the pace folks" if your group is losing ground.

If he's a good friend I'd be confident he wouldn't be offended.

:thup:

Though there can come a point where a touch tact has to go out the window!

C

c1973

:thup:

Though there can come a point where a touch tact has to go out the window!

Indeed, and when tact must go out the window, then brutal honesty would be my advice! Something along the lines of "hawuffsgeramoovoanwullye". One or two letters omitted there. ;)

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Stop second guessing, just say what you think !

I agree with this.

"Would you rather take a bullet to the head or 5 to the chest and bleed to death?" - Moneyball

This is how I would look at it;
How long does it take to play a 4-ball when he is not in it?
How long does it take to play a 4-ball when he is in it?

Then you know how much extra time he is actually causing. If the time is nominal, the problem lies with you. If the time needs to be addressed, man up and address it.

Hope it all works out as it isn't worth losing a good friend over.