Hoping for a miracle

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club pro got through regional qualifying last Monday and is now off to final qualifying on Monday and Tuesday at West Lancashire. There are 96 players chasing 4 spots so his chances are fairly slim. Other players in the field include Andrew Oldcorn and Andrew Coltart so it will be difficult.

Saw him hitting some balls on the practice ground today and he is striking well and is a good player in windy conditions so you never know. He has had a couple of 2nds in local events lately so is in good form. My pro at Wimbledon Common (Jeff Jukes) got into the 1973 Open so it can be done (although like any pro sport it was a different ball game then in terms of the numbers of top quality players around etc).

Hope he does well and look forward to hearing how he gets on. I'm sure the experience can only help his career

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its good to see representatives from your club having the chance to be able to knock it round with the big boys. A pro who plays out of my club as well as an amateur from my club made it through also, although not the club pro himself- he didn't enter. It was also good that qualifying was held at my course for the second year running.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just an update, my club pro shot +3 at West Lancashire yesterday and is tied 30th chasing a top 4 spot (tied with Andrew Oldcorn). -2 is Leading and tour veterans Mark Mouland is currently -1 and Philip Walton is level par.

Doesn't look like my guy will get in but at least he hasn't disgraced himself so far

B

birdieman

It is exciting to see someone you know of or have met doing well in the game. I had the pleasure of playing with a +4 handicap player at the Grantown-on-Spey 36 hole open in 2005, his ability rubbed off a little as I won my handicap section 0-9. He breezed round in 64/65 without even trying.
Anyway he almost made The Open last year, missed out by a shot or two in final qualifying. He has since turned pro in the US and has played in one or two Nationwide Tour events, faring quite well.
Just shows you how good you have to be these days to get anywhere in golf though.