Hooter sounded for fog

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the ruling at your clubs?
Yesterday I was playing with a mate at his links course. As we played the 8th, the mist/fog rolled in and it quickly became difficult to see much more than 100 yards ahead.
As we were putting out on 16 the hooter was sounded and we assumed that we were supposed to go in but didn't know if it was compulsory. The group in front of us played the par 3 17th but did not play the par 5 18th. We were a hole ahead of the three ball behind us so finished our round as we knew there was no one in front of us. The group behind also finished their round.
Would we have been in trouble on your courses?

D

Deleted member 15344

Hooter goes and all play must stop - you then either contact the clubhouse to find out the state of play or just walk in

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yesterday I was playing with a mate at his links course. As we played the 8th, the mist/fog rolled in and it quickly became difficult to see much more than 100 yards ahead.
As we were putting out on 16 the hooter was sounded and we assumed that we were supposed to go in but didn't know if it was compulsory. The group in front of us played the par 3 17th but did not play the par 5 18th. We were a hole ahead of the three ball behind us so finished our round as we knew there was no one in front of us. The group behind also finished their round.

and what if someone else was walking in cross country and because you could only see 100 yards didnt know they were there and hit someone?

hooter and cant see 100yds means stop play no arguments

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and what if someone else was walking in cross country and because you could only see 100 yards didnt know they were there and hit someone?

hooter and cant see 100yds means stop play no arguments

Yes, always expect the unexpected.
The only thing I would say though is that we had played 8 holes in the same conditions and if anything the hooter should have gone a lot earlier.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes! Though, considering where you were at the time, possibly not too severely.
Haar, as I know it, is unpredictable and 'Stop Play because it's dangerous' is what the hooter means - quite likely even mentioned on the scorecard.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 2 4m lengths of plastic soil pipe painted half white, and top half red. They are in the ground up the right 200 yds from the first and 10th tee's. If the red tops aren't visible from the tee the course is closed and doesn't open until they can be seen.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my old course if the hooter went off all play is suspended but you stay where you are until told it’s everyone in.
Fog could come in for 10 minutes and then be gone and obviously play continues.
Don’t know if that’s the same now where I play so I suppose I better ask.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't think we have a hooter I was playing on saturday and couldn't see more than 60 yards at times best it got to was about 150 yds.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think we have a hooter … I played a couple of years ago when there was a torrential rainstorm with a lot of lightning. We were near the clubhouse and so came in, but there was no hooter when the lightning started.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a sign up saying that in the event of thunderstorms you should come in or seek cover. No klaxon will be sounded by the club. Risk lies entirely with you.
Not sure about that myself but there you are..

D

Deleted member 1147

We can't play if the bunker on the first is out of view.
They either won't let us start, or will call us in with the hooter.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
If you arrive at the course and it's closed due to fog, but then re-opens whilst you're having a coffee, but you've missed your tee time, would you be allowed to merge in with those down on the tee-sheet or is it a case of if you miss your time tough?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
If you arrive at the course and it's closed due to fog, but then re-opens whilst you're having a coffee, but you've missed your tee time, would you be allowed to merge in with those down on the tee-sheet or is it a case of if you miss your time tough?

Tee off on the tenth, creates two lanes of traffic and the queue will be half the length ?.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WE have very well defined rules for Fog.

Play must stop immediately and the current manager also requires players to return to the clubhouse.

I know this to be the same rule at Lyme Regis.

The green staff do not stop working on the course just because there is fog.