Holidays in the UK 2022

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So yet again we have made the decision to stay in the UK this year. I've sorted this year's week away on the south coast. We're doing a bob in, for a few days and move on, type of thing, with a swerve up to Marlow to finnish. I've got some good b and b prices so am quite chuffed, after hearing what some people are now being quoted. Quite looking forward to it. Is anyone else staying in the UK? Have you got good deals?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have been to Portugal in April and heading back in July.
Might try for a wee home break later in the year.
Loved a few days in Oban last year.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
After a couple of years of unbelievably expensive UK holidays we’re heading abroad again this year. I absolutely understand that owners needed to recoup some of their pandemic losses, but I’ve just compared the price for the same two weeks in the South Devon cottage we had last year to those being charged this year. Last year was a whopping £780 more expensive.

That sort of rip-off does little to promote loyalty I’m afraid, and merely makes me feel as though many UK owners used the restrictions on foreign travel as an opportunity to profiteer.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve booked few nights away in June in the caravan at Norman’s bay which is handy for the cooden day.
Might try and get away again in sept - I fancy the new forest

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are booked in a park deans for a few days in August in a lodge thing

Next August she wants to attempt Spain

August after I want to take the kids Disneyland Paris

Yorkhacker

Visit site
We've got a week in Kingsbarns at the end of July. When we booked it there was no price for an earlier week. We enquired and it was £7000 for the week or £9000 for 10 nights! Something to do with some golf tournament at St Andrews which I had forgotten about.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a couple of years of unbelievably expensive UK holidays we’re heading abroad again this year. I absolutely understand that owners needed to recoup some of their pandemic losses, but I’ve just compared the price for the same two weeks in the South Devon cottage we had last year to those being charged this year. Last year was a whopping £780 more expensive.

That sort of rip-off does little to promote loyalty I’m afraid, and merely makes me feel as though many UK owners used the restrictions on foreign travel as an opportunity to profiteer.

I don't think UK holidays will ever compare to a trip aboard cost wise

This summer we booked 7 of us (4 adults 3 kids) to a lodge , £1500 for a weekend

That's no food
No entertainment as most is paid activities

Next summer 7 days in Spain 5 of us (2 of the kids free due to an offer) £5000

But that includes activities
Food and drink which for 7 people wouldn't be cheap

Go out of school holidays and ofc prices drop on both sides but abroad is just set up for it

Billysboots

Visit site
I don't think UK holidays will ever compare to a trip aboard cost wise

This summer we booked 7 of us (4 adults 3 kids) to a lodge , £1500 for a weekend

That's no food
No entertainment as most is paid activities

Next summer 7 days in Spain 5 of us (2 of the kids free due to an offer) £5000

But that includes activities
Food and drink which for 7 people wouldn't be cheap

Go out of school holidays and ofc prices drop on both sides but abroad is just set up for it

I’m not so sure.

Holiday cottage in South Devon, quite remote, clean and tidy but nothing special. It didn’t even have a BBQ despite having a decent sized garden. Last year, two weeks in July that cost a ridiculous £3700.

I’ve had villas with pools all over Europe and rarely paid anything like as much as that. This year, we’re pushing the boat out and have got a fabulous place just outside Dubrovnik - it’s cost only £200 more than the Devon cottage and the two simply don’t compare.

I’m in Spain at the moment. Last night my wife and I had a lovely 2-course meal with wine at a restaurant overlooking the local harbour. It cost a shade over 35 Euros. It would have cost at least twice that in the UK.

Rip-off Britain is so-called for a reason!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not so sure.

Holiday cottage in South Devon, quite remote, clean and tidy but nothing special. It didn’t even have a BBQ despite having a decent sized garden. Last year, two weeks in July that cost a ridiculous £3700.

I’ve had villas with pools all over Europe and rarely paid anything like as much as that. This year, we’re pushing the boat out and have got a fabulous place just outside Dubrovnik - it’s cost only £200 more than the Devon cottage and the two simply don’t compare.

I’m in Spain at the moment. Last night my wife and I had a lovely 2-course meal with wine at a restaurant overlooking the local harbour. It cost a shade over 35 Euros. It would have cost at least twice that in the UK.

Rip-off Britain is so-called for a reason!

Maybe I made my point badly..I'm agreeing with you. Abroad is better value for what you get

Next year that 5k if we eat in all time which we will we will spent nothing more

Go to England like you say how much is a cottage? Then got to feed and entertain the kids

Just not as good value

Plus it's a nicer heat aboard , their built for it

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve booked few nights away in June in the caravan at Norman’s bay which is handy for the cooden day.
Might try and get away again in sept - I fancy the new forest

Autumn in the new forest, especially once the schools have gone back is a truly great place, we miss the forest far more than the beach from being down there!

Might even find a forumite or two down there for a game of golf ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A week in June at my cousins house in the Lake District. As we wont pay anything for that maybe also a 7-10 day break some Caribbean island end of year or early next.

Billysboots

Visit site
Maybe I made my point badly..I'm agreeing with you. Abroad is better value for what you get

Next year that 5k if we eat in all time which we will we will spent nothing more

Go to England like you say how much is a cottage? Then got to feed and entertain the kids

Just not as good value

Heavy night on the San Miguel last night! I got your post arse about face.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aside from anything else, it is the daily costs that stop me holidaying in the UK. When I only get the occasional holiday, I do not want to be cooking, I am looking for meals out, a few drink etc. In the UK, that can easily be a couple of hundred quid a day for 2 people on top of all the other costs. I also feel that I do not relax from work as well if I am in the same time zone.

As such, I fly to Antigua in the morning :D:D:D

Yorkhacker

Visit site

Just not as good value

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally I prefer to stay in this country. Less aggravation and I like the familiarity as well as the diversity on offer. The best holidays I've had have been in Britain, but that's just me.
It's slightly unfair to call it Rip off Britain though. Its just much more expensive to live in this country. That's the cost of a supposed higher standard of living.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Got 5 days in a lodge/hot tub for the upcoming double bank holiday. £450 bought when they announced the BH dates before they had time to up the price.
Center Parcs again in November for £390 for 5 days using their come back soon offer which I booked last November. Last Novembers was £299. :(
I’ll book a last minute one at the end of the 6 week hols wherever that maybe.

It’s a joy not having kids and you get great prices booking well in advance but the trade off is the time of year you go if you want good prices.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aside from anything else, it is the daily costs that stop me holidaying in the UK. When I only get the occasional holiday, I do not want to be cooking, I am looking for meals out, a few drink etc. In the UK, that can easily be a couple of hundred quid a day for 2 people on top of all the other costs. I also feel that I do not relax from work as well if I am in the same time zone.

As such, I fly to Antigua in the morning :D:D:D

you hadnt told us ;)

have fun

AliMc

Visit site
We go to Arran for a week in July every year but with more folk staying nearer home getting accommodation was difficult, we eventually found a nice wee cottage in the village of Corrie right next to the sea, will take a half set and have my customery game at Shishkine, might venture up to Corrie too as the views are supposed to be spectacular

Reactions: SyR

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have been to Cavtat a couple of times. Depending on where you are, get the water boat / bus there and back. It's a chilled way to travel. I'd highly recommend an evening there, lovely marina front restaurants, gentle atmosphere. A really lovely place. A coach trip to Mostar is also well worth it. It's a full day but fascinating. We loved that area, would happily go again.

After 2-3 years of staying in the UK, thanks covid, my wife would have divorced me had I suggested the UK this year. It's Italy for us this summer, Lake Garda. I'd agree with @Billysboots , there has been some major profiteering from UK locations meaning that the difference is pretty small and the UK can not compare weather wise. It might be good, it might not. Summer is the med or Adriatic areas are guaranteed. Hopefully the UK will re-balance and prices come back in range again in future years. I suspect we are more likely to do weekends away in the UK rather than weeks though.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find UK holidays always cost more in terms of spending money. If we go abroad, days are spent (usually) by the pool so no cost. In the UK, we will visit places and attractions so the costs soon mount up. That said, don't know if I want to brave the airport queues at the moment - heard lots of horror stories about the amount of time people are taking to get through security, etc.